• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

haters!!!!

so i just got my nsx for about 3 weeks now. still love the car like the first day that i got it, and sometimes i forget that i own a nsx now. but ever since i got it, i feel like there are so many dang haters!! I have been getting a lot of comments from my friends such as "oh we know your car is cool", "you dont have to show off", " why you still using coupons when your driving a nsx!" , " oh you a baller now".... shit is really pissing me off and in a way i kinda regret getting the car because of the attention it gets. these dumb people dont realize that my car is 14 years old and cost less than a new lexus is or the top of the line honda accord. by driving a nsx does not mean i am baller nor i have money. and yes i still use coupon because i like to save money if i can!!!

i swear i only got the car because it was my dream car and no means to show off. for every asian kid that was ever into the car scene, the nsx is the dream and i was only trying to hold own to my youth for a bit longer.

does anyone feel the same???

3 things i can say...

- If you are an asshole or showoff about your car, then its your problem, not theirs, and grief is to be expected.

- If youre not an asshole or showoff, then you have the wrong friends. They dont wish you hapiness.

- You can always expect a certain grief from some people. Its not only cars, its also when you buy an expensive house, get a nice sheila, buy a nice boat....

Your friends suck. All my friends are very happy that I have an NSX. They never ever rip on me for owning it. I start to wonder if your "friends" are really your friends at all.

Since you recently bought the car, you must be really excited and driving it a lot/talking a lot about it. It's understandable it's your dream car who wouldn't like to share their excitement with their close friends. If you have friends who just really don't care or think negatively of NSXs though I can see how you would be getting comments like that.

Regardless all I would do is not mention the car anymore around them. Although you would question why they are bagging on you for buying your dream car. If they know it's your dream car and are still throwing jabs at you about it maybe they really aren't good friends like you originally thought.

Either way enjoy the NSX and don't let them get you down.

Sometime people say stupid things because they have nothing else clever to say.
I would ignore it and tell them that using coupons is how you are able to purchase the NSX.
Heck... I even heard through the grapevine that a "friend" called my NSX a poor man's Ferrari. I gladly except his comment and couldn't agreed more.

I have a neighbor that wonders why I mow my own lawn when I have nice cars. I told him that's how I am able to afford them.

your friends are idiots

i guess my friends sometimes use the excuse that i own a nsx so i can cover them when we go out sometimes... but it never works :biggrin:

You need new friends dude. Hang out with some Prime members instead. No haters in this crowd. :) Everyone I have met from Prime and NSXCA have been really cool.

I think Gore Vidal described this kind of envy best:

"Every time a friend succeeds, a little part of me dies"

Like everyone esle has said stay away from those haters of yours. I think NSX just helpping you figure out who is your real friends:biggrin:

Keep your head up and keep driving your new NSX more and perhaps haters will get use to it:smile:

My friends are ok with owning the NSX, They also know that is not my "ultimate dream" car at all and that the car is rare but not as expensive as it used to be,
but we look at the car as a great platform for racing and why not to get notice on the street.

They do hate on the fact that the car is underpower (understatement), but they also know that will change this winter. :wink:

Is too bad that you are refering to your friend as Haters, that means that you are really pissed off at them and you may be rolling with the wrong people.:rolleyes:

-Manuel

3 things i can say...

- If you are an asshole or showoff about your car, then its your problem, not theirs, and grief is to be expected.

- If youre not an asshole or showoff, then you have the wrong friends. They dont wish you hapiness.

- You can always expect a certain grief from some people. Its not only cars, its also when you buy an expensive house, get a nice sheila, buy a nice boat....

My thoughts exactly. But I wouldn't expect much else if your friends are young and immature.

Yours friends might be shallow!! LOL,,, but if they are giving you shit then they are probably under the age of 25,, when they grow up they will understand,, and they are just jealous of your Bad ass ride!! all my friends loved my car, well Im 35 years old to,, good luck with those guys giving ya hell,, they might be mad that your getting all those chicks talking about you instead of them !! LOL

it sounds like your friends are young and immature. the question you should ask yourself is whether you really care that they are "hating" on you owning your car.

you should be ashamed of yourself!! you consider youself an owner, yet regret buying the car??

thats just my opinion, screw your so call friend(s) and get some real ones!

This actually is a great thing that is happening! You should be happy to know that these are not your friends, just interim aquaintances that will pass with the seasons. Real friends may have a healthy dose of car-envy towards you, but real jealousy comes from your enemies.

Disclaimer: If you have been behaving like an A-hole since getting the car, than you may be deserving of this treatment. Try to reflect on your behavior or just ask your friends if you have been acting like a tool.

so i just got my nsx for about 3 weeks now. still love the car like the first day that i got it, and sometimes i forget that i own a nsx now. but ever since i got it, i feel like there are so many dang haters!! I have been getting a lot of comments from my friends such as "oh we know your car is cool", "you dont have to show off", " why you still using coupons when your driving a nsx!" , " oh you a baller now".... shit is really pissing me off and in a way i kinda regret getting the car because of the attention it gets. these dumb people dont realize that my car is 14 years old and cost less than a new lexus is or the top of the line honda accord. by driving a nsx does not mean i am baller nor i have money. and yes i still use coupon because i like to save money if i can!!!

i swear i only got the car because it was my dream car and no means to show off. for every asian kid that was ever into the car scene, the nsx is the dream and i was only trying to hold own to my youth for a bit longer.

That's one of the reasons I don't drive my car much, I sometimes worry about being perceived as a "showoff". Like you it has always been my dream car.

I use coupons when I can too. You know it doesn't cost extra to capitalize in your posts right?:D

For better or worse, you definately get a different set of reactions with an NSX than your average car. You do have to be mindful though, that people are going to assume that it's an expensive car. How you act and respond will dictate peoples' perceptions and make your life easier or harder accordingly.

I feel I got the requisite amount of good-natured harassment from my friends when I bought mine a year ago...that's what they're for. I've had a few people at work ask questions. However, I just explain that I do 90% of my own maintenance, eat ramen noodles, mow my own yard, use the hell out of coupons, and don't support any expensive habits (other than cars), and people seem to understand. If they don't, God bless them, and move on. People who have money didn't get there by living a "baller" lifestyle to start with (Professional Atheletes, Heiresses, and lottery winners notwithstandings)

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Last edited:
3 things i can say...

Well said. Often, the reactions from people really are a reflection of how they feel about you, not the car. If you come off as a show off, you could be driving a Corvette and get blasted. I remember during the registration night of NSXPO in Oregon, Miled aka SennaPerfected and I were looking for places to have dinner. Being out of town, we decided to just follow a group of NSXers to whereever they were heading. The group of NSXers we were following totally ripped the street out. Stomping on the gas as much as they could and acting like total pricks and hot shit driving the NSX on the city street. Luckily, there are things called traffic lights that cut a few cars behind so they had to wait. When we caught up, the crazy driving resumed. Miled and I were debating if we should just peel out and eat somewhere else instead of following the crowd. But before leaving the group, we got to the destination. The point is if one drives a nice car and acts like a prick, people would react accordingly. NSX is a special car, there is no doubt that it will draw attentions. Most are cheaper than a SUV so it is important not to make a fool of oneself and act like a pompous jerk. Afterall, it is no big deal to be able to buy a used NSX; to many people, not even a new one.
Steve

Heres a thought, "
" I have more respect for a man who lets me know where he stands even if he’s wrong, then one that comes up like an angel and is nothing but a devil"!! Apply that to your current situation!

No, I don't feel the same about my friends' comments.

Question to ask yourself, are these people really your "friends" or just people you hang out with?

"Shake them haters off". :rolleyes: Seriously though, there will always be haters, so don't let people like that get to you. If they act or speak out of jealousy then I would talk to them about it next time someone makes a remark and it bothers you. If they don't respect your position then it's time to get some real friends. I've had to deal with a similar situation and sometimes it just doesn't work out and you've got to move on and get better company.

first off, i am very low key type of person. i dont even dress in colorful/stylish clothes because i dont want to attract attention. 3 weeks that i own the car, maybe i have driven it like 5 times. most of the time the car is sitting in my garage and i am out there by myself admiring the car. I am a mature adult driver that really respect the nsx, so i dont rev high or burn out or speed or try to race to get attention. if i were to do those things i would rather do it my 96 camry because if anything stupid happens it is only a camry!!

as far as doing anything to get people to react that way and to make those comments, i would say definitely no! i dont even bring up the fact that i got a nsx unless they do, and when they do my response is always "yeah its just a car, probably cost less than yours" .

Been there done that! People who love cars for the engineering prowess and artistic beauty they represent are continually ridiculed by people who have never done an oil change.

People who remain socially stagnant hate to see others progress but I always try to remember what one of the wealthiest people I knew told me on his death bed, "It's lonely at the top:wink:".

Back