• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Head unit cuts out when center speaker is disconnected

I disconnected the center speaker from the passenger amp - to stop the crazy whining and hissing. Now every 2-3 minutes my head unit cuts out for 5 minutes or so. I think I disconnected the right thing. I removed the plate covering the amp and then there are 2 connectors on the top of the amp/sub. I disconnected the left most one. Any suggestions?

-Brian

I'll have to look at my service manual again to see if what you did would work but it's really easy to just disconnect the center speaker. You just need to remove center console storage and pop off the two rear trim panel pieces and you can unscrew that center section and remove the connector for the center channel.

Then you can plug that harness on the sub back in.

hmm...

I just figured I could disconnect the center speaker at the amp, or at the speaker... and it looked easier to disconnect it from the amp. Why would there be any difference?

The only difference I could see is maybe that harness has some other wires in it other than just power to the speaker. How many wires are on that harness? If there's just 2, you could send power on one, ground on the other from like a 9v battery or less and see if the speaker pops. If it does, then what you did should work.

I don't know off hand why what you did would cause the head unit to cut out after 2-3 minutes. But I was just making my suggestion because it seems there is a correlation between you disconnecting that harness and the stereo not working.

The brown connector is for the power and gray caries the signals in and the signal out for the center speaker. Which one did you disconnect? If your amp is failing it can be pulling enough current to fail/overload the speaker power relay.

I pulled the gray one. It was smaller so it made more sense that it would be just for the center speaker. Should I pull the other one too? You think that would stop the overload?

Back