• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Header and Exhaust Install

After spending the better part of the past 2.5 days under the car exhaust system wrestling on 2 double plys of cardboard on a cold concrete floor I wanted to write a post with the links I found most useful and some things I noticed when installing a Cantrell header and exhaust onto a '94.

Definitely get yourself a Helms Manual if you don't have one.

Best starting point is the NSX-Wiki:

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Installing_Exhaust

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Installing_Headers

Heavy text based articles so if you want some visual references:

VBNSX's thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74785

* Wear safety glasses: a lot of dirt and grim builds up in all those nooks and crannies under the car. Once you start fussing around under there, it will start falling and more often than not: into your eyes.

*Although if I had to have done it again, I would have removed the central bolt of the front engine mount instead of the 3 little bolts. It makes it easier to slide the front beam out. Page 5 of http://www.tuckerbud.com/Track/Headers/DIYHeaders.doc shows you the exact tool configuration to get to it. Of course in my haste, I didn't get that far in my research.

* Liquid Wrench or similar is mandatory for the exhaust bolts on the catalytic converter if not the header also. I used it sparingly on the O2 sensor despite reading numerous sources stating not to do so.

* I don't know how people remove the front header without moving the AC compressor out of the way. The front heat shield could not be removed no matter how I rotated it, even after removing the O2 sensor. Without removing the heat shield, you can't get to the header bolts.

* No matter how I tried to rotate and shimmy the rear headers in, there was no way they were going to go between the cross beam and the trunk. Lifting the engine by tilting it forward was not going to help. I stumbled upon this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19936 and i dropped the rear beam by just a half an inch like Larry said and it almost go it all the way in. On my NSX, I had to unbolt the rear sway bar and rotate it out of the way of the outlet of the header to slip it into place: there was only 1 specific series of minute orientation and direction changes for the rear headers to go in. Of course I didn't put the exhaust gasket and lube the bolts the first time I successfully maneuvered the header into place because I didn't want the gasket falling out at some inopportune time or oil dripping onto me...

* Make the investment and get an O2 sensor wrench if you don't already have one. It makes life a lot easier.

* On a '94 you will need to use O2 sensor extension wires. After trying a few combinations of front sensor to rear headers and rear sensor wire to front I stumbled across this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38631 and found the most satisfactory set up: run the front extension over the engine and down the rear and connect it to the O2 sensor for the rear headers; run the rear sensor down to where the O2 sensor for the front headers will exit behind the oil pan. You can also remove the front bank O2 wire support clips for addition few grams weight savings. The Cantrell kit came with 2 brackets: I used 1 where rear O2 sensors were supported originally: right under the valve cover near the center of the head and the other on the heat shield on the axle to support the front O2 wire.

* On a '94 you will need to use exhaust adapters that will go between the header and catalytic converters. The best way to do this is I found was to loosely install the adapters onto the catalytic converters, then loosely attaching the catalytic converter to the exhaust, and then finally wrestling the adapter piece onto the header before torquing everything down.

* On a '94 you will have an extra hanger on the rear cross beam where the old front header hung on: it becomes vestigial with adapter pipes that do not have a hanger so I removed mine for a couple more ounces of weight savings.

2.5 days probably seems excessive for a header and exhaust install. Mostly because this was the first time I was doing this and took my time to try not to break anything even though I only had hand tools and keep track of all the fasteners. Doing it again, I could probably cut the time down to about a day. I don't know how the guys that do this in 5 hours do it: lots of practice is my guess.

Hopefully this thread pops up a lot in searches to help somebody down the road thinking about or attempting a DIY header install on a NSX. A lot of the observations/recommendations I mentioned were discovered by the wrong way of doing things, head scratching, reading other posts, and thinking things through. Thanks to all the other contributors of the threads I mentioned earlier.

Anybody interested about the fitment and finish of the Cantrell system: my opinion is for the price you pay, it is a good value. My requirements were for a system that produced more power than stock, lighter than stock and not obnoxiously loud. My only gripe on the headers would have been to weld all the way around the outside of the flange and grind down the welds smooth on the inside. The system fits perfectly. I also got the entire system ceramic coated to help keep engine bay and trunk temperatures down.

Time to go for a drive.

--
George

sounds like a PITA if you ask me lol. I hope you can feel the difference for the 2.5 days of work, considering it takes like 30 min to pull the exhaust off.

I can agree with the op comments. Invest in good vinil gloves.
Also dropping the rear beam and unbolting the a/c is essential.
Air tools, even cheep ones are essential. I bought a $4 o2
Socket after filleting my big toe without the proper tool.
Don't ask!

Also, you don't have to remove the A/C belt. Loosen the bolts
and when you are done, it will bolt right.

I found when I was done for the night I would wash up with
Gojo, light a nice cigar, open a cold beverage and admire
my work. It's all about getting to know your car.

The system is nice, the car feels peppier now. But it has been a while since I drove the car and I don't know if it's anything like the advertised gains. If I ever find a Dyno here, I'll see how much power is being put down now. Unfortunately, I never dyno'd the stock configuration. Since it was a pre '97, any change to the headers would be a definite improvement over stock. I think I managed to put some sort of contaminant onto the O2 sensor so hopefully it will burn off as I drive it: it behaves like a slight stutter at certain RPMs no matter the gear similar to other reported instances.

The initial sound is nice: it is like stock, slightly louder but deeper--like somebody turned up the bass a touch. There IS a drone around 1500-2500 RPM under specific conditions. What I define as drone is like the a sudden amplification of the exhaust note within the cabin. There have been threads discussing the cause of this ad nauseum. To induce the drone, you have to drive at partial throttle: the drone starts to build at 1500 rpm peaks around 2000 and disappears at 2500 rpm. It does not drone if you do not give it any throttle, even if you are in that range. If you drive around this RPM range and dislike drone, this system may not be for you. With more miles, the exhaust note may change so stay tuned.

Removing the exhaust was the easiest part. 12 bolts and it's free to come off the hangers. Removing the rear headers were pretty straight forward. It's the front headers that take some time to get to. Then putting on the front headers was easy. Putting everything back you took off to get to them takes a while. Then putting in the rear headers took a little more time. Then there are the little idiosyncrasies of the install you figure out in between...

One person's PIA is another's education: being under the car for that long let me see how the car was built and how parts were created and put together.

I found this thread to be a good summary of the header install experience also: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=164387&postcount=10

A pair of old beat up Mechanix gloves is what I used, but a set of nitrile ones would have been just as good, if not better.

After doing all the work, I would say it was a worthy experience to learn about the car, actually know the work and process to do the install and of course the performance gain afterwards.

Again, hopefully this thread will help others that are thinking about installing their own headers and exhaust.

--
George

Last edited:
Nice post, George. It's posts like this that make an invaluable addition to the Helm manual and the great prime wikis.

One question related to the drone. Do you roll with the oem engine bay cover or other fully enclosed cover?

The exact configuration of my '94 currently:

Cantrell Headers
Stock Catalytic Converters
Cantrell Exhaust

Engine Cover in place: I've heard that removing the cover might reduce the drone but I wanted to keep my cover in place to keep the engine out of sunlight: I am not sure if all the rubber hoses are UV stabilized or if the glass itself blocks out enough UV rays. Also, silencer inserts may help reduce the drone. Unfortunately, there are no off the shelf inserts for the Cantrell exhaust's 3" tips, or at least I couldn't find any.

These may help, but I have not tried them yet:

http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynate..._Code=Dynatech&Category_Code=vortex_conesonly

http://www.engineceramics.com/hardpart/ccinserts.htm

By the end of the drive, the tone of the exhaust seemed to have either changed or I started getting used to the drone.

I just noticed this thread might be better suited to the DIY forum instead...if the moderators want to move it, please feel free.

--
George

Last edited:
The exhaust sound does change after you drive it around for a while and get some miles on the exhaust. And I really dont think the removing the engine cover will reduce the drone.

The exhaust sound does change after you drive it around for a while and get some miles on the exhaust. And I really dont think the removing the engine cover will reduce the drone.

Me neither. I think it would ELIMINATE it. I base this on reports elsewhere on Prime. And on my own experience: With a Gruppe N exhaust from Dali and the engine cover on, my 91 would drone loudly at a certain RPM range. Without the engine cover the drone was minimal and quite tolerable on a 10 hour drive.

As to UV, I wonder how effective my hatch window tint is. I don't know the brand as it was on the car when I bought it and I haven't run across anything about it in the service documentation. Guess I'll just keep an eye on the hoses. It is not a dd, at any rate, but it does spend time in the Gulf Coast sun.

I found that having the engine cover didn't affect the sound or intensity of the dreaded drone. Mine was based on the type of exhaust I had plus the RPM's that I was driving at.
I drove for ~12 hrs total(6hrs each way) and that drone drove me close to insane. I got home, took off the a/m exhaust and put the OEM back on and have been happily motoring ever since.
I DO have the same headers as the OP does still on the car.

Back