• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

help - aircon stopped cooling

Fct

Contributing Member
Hope you can advise...

the aircon was working just fine last month, then at the height of the warm weather, it stopped cooling.

The fan, heater works, but when I set it for the air condition, it is not cooling.

I had the electronics done by BrianK about 3 or 4 years ago.

any suggestions?

thanks.

Frank

Last edited:
I too have a stock 91.

The CCU board went in Sept 2011 which BrianK repaired and the A/C was fine until Sept 2013.
The problem then was a leak in the old R12 system and could see that from looking at the sight glass under the hood.
I bought an oem R134a retrofit leak, and took the car to the A/C shop that my Acura dealer used.
They checked the system for leaks, installed the kit, and recharged the system with R134a
It worked fine for about 10 months and then I started hearing whirring sounds when I put the A/C on and this turned out to be the compressor.
I replaced that and all is well.

Looking back I should have done the R134a retrofit and new compressor in Sept 2013 and been done with it.
I think our oem A/C system is good for about 20 years then we have CCU board failure followed by compressor failure.

Also the O-rings in the system swell and crack from the R134. The right way is to replace all components including o-rings and seals so everything is running/rated on R134. I should have done it too. :(

Do I have my Acura dealer do this overhaul of the system?

One more thing....

I have not heard the sensors at all.

Could this problem be related to the sensors not working?

Find a very reputable AC shop. This is what they do, this is all they do. Like Honcho said, replace all the system orings and drier. The new ones are green and are designed to hold up to the added head pressure 134 creates. If moneys not a huge issue, keep R12 in it. This is just my opinion. I love my R12 system.

Hello again. I wanted to update my information on the AC.

I took a trip to the Okanagan in August and was not sure about it because of the AC. When my wife and I left Vancouver, it was not cooling, just blowing air. About an hour on the highway, the AC started to cool and wow was it cold. It was a 4 to 5 hour drive and it was cold all the way. We spent the weekend in Oliver and the AC was running nice and cold.

We have been back now for about a month, I drive here and there and it is back to air, not cooling. Occasionally, it would start cooling. I guess if it is a long enough drive it will start up again.

Any ideas?

I hope BrianK would also comment.

Interestingly, my aircon also decided to stop cooling today.

In the fuse box under the front bonnet, check both a/c fan fuses. If they are blown the cabin vent air will not be cold unless you are going fast enough to pass sufficient air through the condensers to have the system function properly (make the conversion from gas to liquid).

Check that the two condensers are not blocked with leaves or other debris.

A water valve that needs adjustment can mimic a low coolant condition as well.

- - - Updated - - -

took the car to the A/C shop that my Acura dealer used.

Odd that they send a/c work out.

Back