• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help cleaning and polishing exhaust tips

I need some detailing help.

I have some 5 year old DC Sport exhaust tips that need to be shined up. I wrote DC sports about the discoloration around the tips and they said they should polish up like new.

I have tried hand polishing with some stuff from the auto parts store but it hasn't helped much.

I do have a dremmel tool with a polishing wheel - but have never tried to use it.

Any recommendations on techniques, products, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Also - let me know if from experiance it is not going to work and I should be looking at replacement tips.

Thanks in advance...

I too had the dc pollished exhaust for many years.I kept it relatively shinny with mothers mag and aluminum pollish and elbow grease,I could'nt get rid of the tarnish or burnish that ocured over the years,maybe the dremmil will get that also.

Here's how I got the "tarnish" stains out of my other SS exhaust/tips. I'm not sure if it'll work for you but it's worth a shot.

1. Get some liquid chrome polish(I used Turtle Wax,small green can).
2. You'll need an old thick sock or towel.
3. With the tips still hot(works best after a spirited drive) pour some polish onto your sock/towel and start to wipe/buff off the tarnish stains. Don't worry if the polish starts to bubble/cook on the tips, no harm done there. Keep wiping until your tips come clean(hope they do).
4. Make sure to switch sides of the sock/towel once it gets brown.

Good Luck

Thanks for the tip. FYI they offer a free sample for $5 to cover the s/h. I found 2 10oz tubes on ebay for $7 + $2 s/h so for $10 I will give it a try!

a product called autosol. its available in australia, maybe america also. used it on my showcar crx exhaust and door latch polished to perfection..........

This works nicely...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1002&SKU=10223

10223_LG.jpg

-Jim

Nick,

Sell me your DC exhaust for dirt cheap and buy a new one. This way you don't have to deal with the polishing. hehehehe :rolleyes:

BTW - I know my dremel tool has a polishing wheel attachment. Would this be a good tool to use for the job?

Be careful with the dremel, as the polishing pads have different hardness to them. Check the effect on a part of the exhaust that you would not see. Sometimes they cause little swirls that are just short of engraving. If you haven't bought the tips specificly for buffing metal be extra careful.
Len

Try Eagle-One polishing wool, safe and non-abrasive on all metals, including stainless steel and billet aluminum. Have it at Autozone. I'd avoid dremel tool or anything abrasive. Easier than Mother's.

what worked for me when i used to put my car in carshows i would just grab some meguiares polish put some on a clean dirtless rag and buff it like i would the rest of the car, would get rid of the soot and get my muffler tips crazy shiney

matteni, I've got DC Sports Exhausts, and I'd like to do the same sort of cleaning that you've posted about. Have you had a chance to try any of the methods, and if so, what is your conclusion.

Regards.

Nope - I ordered the www.flitz.com stuff off ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. I am going to start with elbow grease and work up from there.

This week I am doing:
- new Jun ultralight fly
- new set typeR gears
- new typeR 4.23 RP
- non snap ring case
- typeR differential torque
- rebuilt ACR clutch with new ceramic clamping material
- paint cooling bottle
- fuel filter
- trunk struts
- thermostat

Whew! Unfortunately - the tips are going to have to wait till I get back from the track this weekend. Or maybe I will bring my polishing stuff to the track to give me something to do between runs?

:)

Has anyone tried or hears of gliptone?You'd think that our two wheeled friends would have good pollishes as they have a lot of shiny stuff.

ajnsx said:
a product called autosol. its available in australia, maybe america also. used it on my showcar crx exhaust and door latch polished to perfection..........

Autosol metal polish is indeed available in the States. They carry it at Emmons Coachworks. Those out of town can order by phone or from their website. NSXaholic, it's in Villa Park, so you can stop by there if it's convenient for you.

Jeez, Matteni. Is that enough to do in one weekend?;) Let us know the results please.

thanks nsxtasy for the link, i stand by the product..:)

Also if you want your tailights nice and shiny use the finest (least abrasive) finishing paint polish you can find restores them like new ;)
end rant
detail king :)

edit: i could only find the plastic autosol polish on that site nsxtasy mentioned, make sure its the METAL autosol polish

nice to see the nsx-t on the zymol car care hints page :)

Last edited:
I use Zep 5 Star, its a nice polishing compound and not too abrasive, I use it on all our bizjets to make the leading edges and all the metal have a mirror finish.

Back