• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HELP... Cobalt Brake Pads out of stock!

I've been using Cobalt brake pads for 2 years and completely love them... I called Cobalt today and was told that are in the process of moving and they had no pads in stock for the NSX... and won't have anything for the next 2 months!!

2 years ago i ran GTSport in the front and Axxis Ultimates in the rear...
Last year I ran specVR in the front and GT Sport in the rear..

Is there anyone else that may have them in stock besides Cobalt themselves... or a similar pad compound... like panthers?

I run 17/18 on street tires for track events...

Move aside, Andie is currently improving the compound on the GT Sports to offer even higher fade resistance, using a proprietary reaction/diffusion bonded carbon ceramic. Bare with him, I'm sure they will be available to order again here shortly in that fitment.

As a general rule, particularly during the summer driving season- I've learned that it is good to stock up on common parts instead of always waiting until the last waking moment to order things as availability on specialty products can sometimes be a problem. Cobalt is a smaller company and it is unrealistic to expect full product availability all the time, although ususally they do very well. No extra GT Sports here in NSX OE fitments, but I'll ask around today, and if anyone happens to have an extra set I'll drop a PM.

I believe their is an upcoming article in my product review section for the GT Sports in the next NSX Driver mag. Usually just my street pad, I ran on the GT Sports this past Easter Weekend at Alfa club day on an S2K with T1S's and they were worked just fine for full 20 minute sessions out so long as I wasn't trying to be overly Kamikaze into the braking zone at SIR.

Last edited:
Thanks John... yeah.. they told me they were in development of enhancing their pads...

If you do know anyone... please let me know.. I really appreciate the offer, I definitely have to stock up this time!! I'm running Pocono on May 6th and just want to make sure I have everything ready before then...

thanks again.

I really love the GT Sport pads. I'm glad I have enough for my upcoming track events.

If I had to choose a close substitute until more are available, I would probably use Hawk HP Plus. Did you ask Andie for a suggestion about what to use in the meantime? I know he carries Hawk pads, too...

nsxtasy said:
I really love the GT Sport pads. I'm glad I have enough for my upcoming track events.

If I had to choose a close substitute until more are available, I would probably use Hawk HP Plus. Did you ask Andie for a suggestion about what to use in the meantime? I know he carries Hawk pads, too...

Great "alternate" suggestion. I really like the initial bite and the linear feel of the HP Plus at the track and don't mind the extra dusting and noise (bearable for me so don't have to have 2 different types of pads for street/track)

I will have to try the "new and improved" GT Sports pads when they are back in stock - sounds like a winner.

BTW - nsxtacy / others who have tried both - do you always prefer the GT Sport Pads? Why?

matteni said:
BTW - nsxtacy / others who have tried both - do you always prefer the GT Sport Pads? Why?
A bit more bite, a bit extra ability to stand up to the effects of heat on the track. But the differences are small, and the two are notable more for their similarity to each other than any small differences.

ak said:
I'm in the same boat. What did you end up with and how did you like it?

I haven't had a chance to get in contact with Andie, so I worked things out with Richard...

Since I really need something for the May 6th Pocono event, he shipped out GTsport fronts and Hawk HP+ rears... I'll be ordering the new Cobalts compounds when they are available...

For track-only pads, I'd recommend the Carbotech's as a great alternate. I just ordered XP12 front, XP10 rear for my under-braked Integra Type R. I have been a religious Spec VR user for the last couple years.

Porterfield R4S are a pretty good dual-duty pad. Carbon Kevlar. Bulletproof. :) I've used those and Porterfield R4. R4's were pretty wicked, R4S survived at Blackhawk on my car, which is a pretty good measure.

I just found this thread after calling to order pads. They're out of stock for both of my cars and don't expect anything for several months!!! I used to think this was a great company, Andie especially, but now have my doubts. When Andie's not around to answer the phone they sure have some incompetant people hanging around there. Andie, if you read this, you should hire someone that can speak English and better explain why I can't but brake pads from you until the end of summer.

Back