• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help: East Coast USA road-trip planning for dummies

Hello all! For those who have taken a read of my roadtrip adventures (#1 http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/167359-7-days-7-321kms-Western-USA-QPDO-style!!, and #2 http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/176079-Gumball-4000-Roadtrip-to-Mexico-foor-a-beer), my girlfriend and I are looking at planning yet another trip... this time down the eastern United States seaboard. There are a few things I'd like to ask the more savvy East Coast Americans about a trip like this, they are as follows:

We are planning on flying into NYC and flying out of New Orleans after traversing the blacktop down the east coast. This trip would be between 10-14 days... sooooo....

1) Things we want to do/see:
- New York (plan to be here 2 nights 1 day)​
- Washington DC​
- Skyline Drive​
- Outer Banks, NC​
- The Keys​
- Everglades Airboat Tour​
- New Orleans (plan to be here at least one full day)​
2) What are some other must see places us Canadian folk need to visit? Scenic/Attractions
3) Are there any particular stretches of roads a gear-head like me would LOVE to travel?
4) Where are some places/states that we need not waste our time in?
5) Both of us love beer.... are there any craft breweries that we should stop in at?
6) We plan on renting a car in NYC and dropping it off in New Orleans.... HOWEVER, if someone in the NYC area has a vehicle they'd sell to us for the cost of the rental and one way drop off fee *approximately $1500* (assuming it be roadworthy, reliable, have A/C, and cruise control), we'd rock that on temporary in-transit papers and drop it off at a New Orleans charity foundation (similar to that of a Kidney Car Foundation here in Canada-land). You could even take the tax credits, if there is a way of transferring them.

The tentative game plan is as follows:

http://goo.gl/maps/KKjw2

Charleston. Where the first shots of the Civil war started. Pretty historic place.
Great craft breweries here: Holy City, Westbrook, Palmetto. Also lets not forget. Sweet tea vodka AKA Firefly. Great restaurants in the like of Husk, Halls, and many seafood places here.

Savannah is a great stop also

Last edited:
I have driven that exact route, but not all at once. I would pass on going to Key West. Not only will it tack on a few days of driving, the roads are terribly boring. Other than stopping to see Shawn in Tampa, there's not much to do unless you like theme parks. I've lived in S. Florida for 18 years and have never had the urge to go on a hillbilly Airboat ride. If your trip is in the summer, it is brutally hot in the Keys also, so take that into consideration.

The drive from Wash D.C. into the south has a lot of options, and there are great roads and places to see. Do you like modern architecture? If so a trip to Falling Water would be nice. A jaunt into Tennessee is not too far. Then there is the Blueridge Parkway, and of course, the Tail of the Dragon. After that you could head toward the coast and visit Charles in SC, and maybe go to Hilton Head Island for a round of golf at Harbour Town. From Hilton Head you could make your way towards New Orleans.

Sounds like a fun trip and you can rent a decent car for $1,000 through Priceline if you know how do it.

Washington DC: Park your car at a metro station or hotel and take the subway everywhere. Or get a hotel close to one of the outer metro stations and ride in. Parking in the city's hotels will cost you big time.

Outer Banks Kill Devil Hills: The outer banks are very crowded and the road is very slow with tourists at times

Stop F to G: This route may be slow since you're dealing with beach traffic. You won't be able to see the ocean but will have to deal with slow traffic etc.

You may consider a stop at Jekyll Island/Cumberland Island in south Georgia if you like a less crowded beach area.

If you're running short on time you may want to skip all/part of Miami/Keys. You can always just cut over the state at Jacksonville or Orlando.

10-14 days pretty short time depending how long you looking to stay in NY, DC and New Orleans.

You could always take a Amtrak train from NYC to Washington DC and rent the car in DC the day you leave. Just look what you'll pay for both and cost/save you in time. Traffic on that route can be bad if driving. It'll take you longer to drive (4hr+) vs the train (3hr). You won't really need the rental car in NYC or DC anyway so don't pay for extra days on car rental.

Last edited:
A1A in Florida around St. Augustine (historic) and Palm Beach (cars and mansions).
Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center
Pensacola Aviation Museum (on the way to New Orleans).
Any fresh water springs (from the limestone caves).

Charleston. Where the first shots of the Civil war started. Pretty historic place.
Great craft breweries here: Holy City, Westbrook, Palmetto. Also lets not forget. Sweet tea vodka AKA Firefly. Great restaurants in the like of Husk, Halls, and many seafood places here.

Savannah is a great stop also

Fantastic! Plans now have us landing in Charleston for lunch and beers!

I have driven that exact route, but not all at once. I would pass on going to Key West. Not only will it tack on a few days of driving, the roads are terribly boring. Other than stopping to see Shawn in Tampa, there's not much to do unless you like theme parks. I've lived in S. Florida for 18 years and have never had the urge to go on a hillbilly Airboat ride. If your trip is in the summer, it is brutally hot in the Keys also, so take that into consideration.

The drive from Wash D.C. into the south has a lot of options, and there are great roads and places to see. Do you like modern architecture? If so a trip to Falling Water would be nice. A jaunt into Tennessee is not too far. Then there is the Blueridge Parkway, and of course, the Tail of the Dragon. After that you could head toward the coast and visit Charles in SC, and maybe go to Hilton Head Island for a round of golf at Harbour Town. From Hilton Head you could make your way towards New Orleans.

Sounds like a fun trip and you can rent a decent car for $1,000 through Priceline if you know how do it.

We have indeed decided to kibosh the idea of going to the keys. In turn, we have tacked on a couple extra days and are thinking of making a jaunt out to the Bahamas for some relaxing beach time. As hillbilly-esque as it may be, we don't get that kind of wildlife and scenery up here in Canada so it's one of those do-it-once kinda things. Our latest/revised route has us going about as far west as Asheville for some more craft beers and a Brews Cruise... but I don't think we'll make it as far as Tennessee this trip. Upon recommendations by yourself, a few other members and other forums, we've tacked on the Blue Ridge Parkway too... but again, the Tail of the Dragon, as amazing as it looks, just isn't in the cards for this trip.

Washington DC: Park your car at a metro station or hotel and take the subway everywhere. Or get a hotel close to one of the outer metro stations and ride in. Parking in the city's hotels will cost you big time.

Outer Banks Kill Devil Hills: The outer banks are very crowded and the road is very slow with tourists at times

Stop F to G: This route may be slow since you're dealing with beach traffic. You won't be able to see the ocean but will have to deal with slow traffic etc.

You may consider a stop at Jekyll Island/Cumberland Island in south Georgia if you like a less crowded beach area.

If you're running short on time you may want to skip all/part of Miami/Keys. You can always just cut over the state at Jacksonville or Orlando.

10-14 days pretty short time depending how long you looking to stay in NY, DC and New Orleans.

You could always take a Amtrak train from NYC to Washington DC and rent the car in DC the day you leave. Just look what you'll pay for both and cost/save you in time. Traffic on that route can be bad if driving. It'll take you longer to drive (4hr+) vs the train (3hr). You won't really need the rental car in NYC or DC anyway so don't pay for extra days on car rental.

Great idea with Amtrak! We will now take the train down to DC and get a rental car from there. Cheers! Outer Banks is something my girlfriend REALLY wants to see... so we'll cross our fingers on the tourists and take our chances. Jekyll Island/Cumberland Island might be a game day decision, is there any camping on the islands? Regarding our timeline, ya... its tight. But that's how all of our road trips have been to date. In doing so, we've gotten a good taste for places we'll certainly return to when time & money is more readily available haha.

Let me know when you're coming to New Orleans or have any questions. Been down here a few months so still new but can help you with avoiding any touristy traps.

Sounds great! Thanks!

Based on all of the above, and info from other forums, the latest itinerary is as follows:

http://goo.gl/R5PDw4

1) Fly to NYC on a Wednesday morning and spend 2 nights
2) Leave NYC Friday morning by Amtrak to Washington DC and fart around the National Monument / Whitehouse area for Friday morning -> early afternoon
3) Snag a rental car and head west to the Skyline Drive:
4) Get down to somewhere around Waynesboro Friday night
5) Wake up on time Saturday and boot it down the Blue Ridge Parkway (Skyline Drive-esque) all morning and get to Asheville
6) Being that we're both craft beef fans and Asheville is second only to Grand Rapids we're trying to hit this Brews Cruise tour that hits 3 breweries in Asheville, after which we'd just get stupid drunk that night and hate our lives on Sunday
7) Sunday we'd boot it back out to the east coast and venture down the Outer Banks
8) Monday we'd wake up and take a 2-combo ferry back to the mainland and hoof it down to Jacksonville/Orlando area
9) Tuesday we'd venture down to Miami and be there late-morning
10) Hang out tuesday morning/afternoon on Miami beach
11) Catch a flight to Bahamas and spend 3 nights/2 days on the beaches
12) Get back to Miami Friday morning, head to Everglades City for an Air-Boat tour of the everglades... hopefully not to get eaten by a gator
13) Friday afternoon-evening drive up the west coast of Florida and get somewhere near Penscola/Mobile
14) Saturday morning drive to New Orleans and spend a day and a half there
15) Sunday afternoon fly back to Edmonton

Miami to Pensacola is at least a 10hr drive. I did it once and it sucks.

Oh ya... I realize that haha. But I've done 18hr, 1100+mi driving days on past road-trips.... sometimes you just gotta make tracks! I'm slightly retarded in that sense.

We'd like to make it into the panhandle anyhow... how far into it will likely be a game day decision. :tongue:

Some things to keep in mind:

VA & DC have banned radar detectors. Beware of the po-po. 495 & 66 (don't know route you are taking west) outside of DC can have tons of traffic & at times you would not expect. Once you are on 29 south (again, no idea route you are taking) it opens up.

Asheville to the Outer Banks is going to be a loooooooonnnnnngggg drive. NC troopers are all about revenue collection so beware of that. You mention ferries so I am assuming you are heading to southern Outer Banks. I would strongly recommend keeping an eye on this as you could be waiting quite a while for a spot. I have only been to the northern Outer Banks. If you don't mind the extra drive, check out Corolla & Duck. There is a Hampton Inn in Corolla. Peak times are going to affect pricing and availability anywhere on the Outer Banks. You will also hit a lot of traffic on Sundays with all the arrivals & departures going on. As far as things to do, I would recommend the Wright Brothers Memorial in Kitty Hawk ($4 parking 3 yrs ago, takes a few hours to take in, totally worth it). Make sure you catch the talk the rangers give inside the main building where the replica plane is. If you go to Corolla, make sure to go on one of the wild horse beach tours.

If you wanted to, the Air & Space Museum right near Dulles Airport has an SR-71 & lots of other cool planes. Might not be a girlfriend approved place though.

I'm sure you will have fun no matter what. Good luck.

If you wanted to, the Air & Space Museum right near Dulles Airport has an SR-71 & lots of other cool planes...

I was just in DC on a business trip, and we visited both of the Air & Space museums in the DC area. The one Tyra mentions (Udvar-Hazy Centre) is newer, and far better: a space shuttle, SR-71, the Enola Gay, Nazi & Japanese WW2 planes, and a ton of fighter jets from the F4 to present-day.

If you like planes even a little bit it is worth a visit. The one in DC near all the other museums is small, old, and cramped in comparison; although I did enjoy the drones on display there.

Back