• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help identifying aftermarket parts on Japanese NSX

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help identify some aftermarket parts on an NSX I've recently bought from Japan (1990 NA1). Pics are still in Japan as it'll be a while before it can be exported to Australia.

Attached are photos, some of them I can work out but I'm interested if anyone can shed some light on this vehicle, understandably Japanese parts may not be so well known outside the country.

First up, the body kit and wing.... does anyone recognize it? I haven't been able to work out the brand. I'd be shocked if anyone picked the fender flares though they are NSX specific, I've not decided if I'll keep those.

nsx_01.jpg nsx_02.jpg nsx_03.jpg nsx_04.jpg nsx_05.jpg nsx_06.jpg nsx_07.jpg

The wheels are Tecnomagnesio 17's, I've seen these on a few NSX's in Japan and I believe they are extremely lightweight being made out of magnesium (lighter than aluminium). If anyone knows anything about these I'd be interested to know.

nsx_08.jpg

The car also has some Buddy Club coilovers, I've not been able to see any online with that colour of springs and shocks, does anyone know about these and how modern they might be? Also there are stainless steel braided brake lines, or are these factory?

nsx_09.jpg nsx_10.jpg nsx_11.jpg nsx_12.jpg

Inside is a Type S steering wheel, is that a Type S shift knob as well? Are there any boss kits that still allow me to keep cruise control?

nsx_13.jpg nsx_14.jpg nsx_15.jpg

I don't suppose the handbrake handle is shared with any other Hondas? That little chip to the chrome is going to bug me.

nsx_16.jpg

Interestingly the car has an aftermarket exhaust manifold, but a factory muffler. My guess is it probably had an expensive muffler on there that the seller swapped over before selling, and the exhaust manifold was just too difficult to take off. I think this might be a Mugen exhaust based on a few things, namely that it does look like other pics I've seen of one before (including the heat shields), and there are also Mugen badges and a Mugen engine cover with no other Mugen parts I'm aware of, so if someone can confirm that I'd appreciate it. I believe the Mugen manifolds were very expensive.

nsx_17.jpg nsx_18.jpg nsx_19.jpg nsx_20.jpg

Finally, I doubt anyone knows anything about this brake master cylinder brace, but if you do I'm all ears. I've had these on other cars, they actually can make quite a difference.

nsx_21.jpgnsx_22.jpg

Thanks guys,

Ben

I can only help with those flairs....grupe M....

Also there are stainless steel braided brake lines, or are these factory?

Inside is a Type S steering wheel, is that a Type S shift knob as well? Are there any boss kits that still allow me to keep cruise control?

Ben

These are the only ones I can help with...

SS brake lines are not factory

That is not the OEM Type-S Steering wheel, it is the MOMO production version. The OEM one doesn't have "ZAGATODESIGN" stamped in the Triangular center pad.

Hard to tell from the photo but I'm fairly certain that is not a true Type-S shift knob though it does look close.

As for a boss kit that allows cruise control I'm 90% sure the answer is no. Cruise control was handled through the cable reel for the steering wheel and it contains the cables for the airbag, horn, and cc. I think someone modified a Type-R boss kit so they could keep the cable reel in place but I can't remember where I saw it.

Most people just run the wires to the correct pins and then buy buttons they can use for CC.
[MENTION=25737]Kaz-kzukNA1[/MENTION] has a great write up of what is needed to make this work: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?6367-2002-Type-R-Steering-wheel-with-OEM-boss post #3 tells you where to put the wires to complete the circuit.

Also you can look at post #68 #69 and #74 of this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...Mouth93-s-1994-Berlina-Black-NSX-Thread/page3 to see how [MENTION=33247]MotorMouth93[/MENTION] did his.

Rear apron: WISE

- https://box.yahoo.co.jp/guest/viewe...1&uniqid=9b023c34-73dd-4c66-9dcf-ce919da55d88

Rear spoiler, deck lid, skirts and fender flares: Gruppe M

- http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/150311-GruppeM-parts-A-S-Motorsport-(BODY-amp-INTAKE)

Shift knob: Gruppe M

- http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...cer-s-97-MCB?p=1541294&viewfull=1#post1541294

As for the wheels, Nor Cal owner @solidol has those exact ones, maybe he can provide some insight on those.

As for keeping the SRS reel to wire up cruise control to aftermarket button column, you can use Taitec or Works bell hub. Both retain OEM SRS reel, I personally have the taitec.

Last edited:
As for the wheels, Nor Cal owner @solidol has those exact ones, maybe he can provide some insight on those.

Those are Tecnomagnesio 201b. Italian made, magnesium wheels. This model was quite popular on things like MB124 and such. I've seen Lancia Delta Integrale on these in Dusseldorf few years ago. I sold my set but in 17x7.5/17x9 they were 16/18lbs respectively. They also have steel inserts to prevent stressing lugnut seats, though make sure to not over torque them regardless.
a25c1c3192db6d2faecdbe9f11119cd5.jpg
f2948a62181989be1bbfbb128827f347.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I thought the front bumper would be the easiest part, but it's about the only thing I haven't identified now.

NSX_n00b: you're correct, this is the same design as the Type S steering wheel, but it does have the Zagato design stamped on it. Thanks for the info regarding cruise control, I'll figure something out there, it looks like ultimately I'll just have to do some messing around with wiring.

kennyvb, MexiRicer, docjohn, thanks for that info, as soon as you mentioned Gruppe M that gave me plenty of things to look into.

solidol: interesting, that is pretty light for a 17" wheel. I saw these on several other NSX's in Japan before I bought mine so it seems to be a popular fit there.

Hass: wanna know the worst bit? I actually have to wait a year before I even get to see the car. We've only just had new import laws introduced for Australia that will allow us to import NSX's, but not for another year!

looks like its got gen 2 ABS as well :)

out of interest, how much was it in yen? I imported mine from japan a couple of years ago and would be interested to know if they have stayed the same price :)

Last edited:
That sounds like an unusual move, how can much better is gen 2 ABS to warrant that amount of effort?

I'd rather not say the exact amount I paid for my car, but for a an NSX in a manual (I think Americans would be surprised at just how many NSX's in Japan were auto) and a 1990 - 1992 (which was most of them) you're probably looking at around 4.5 million yen for a rough one, 5 million yen for one that's ok with higher mileage over 70,000 miles, and mid to high 5's for a good quality, well looked after car, and those aren't common! I import cars for a living so I'm pretty familiar with the car scene in Japan and I was pretty surprised at the condition of most NSX's over there, it was actually pretty hard I thought to find one that was up to my standard.... I looked for maybe 6 months and several dozen cars before buying mine.

However, I think prices are about to go up. Australia only received about 100 NSX's over the 15 year lifespan, so they are very rare cars here... I've only ever seen one on the road here in my entire life. As such they are WAY expensive here, almost double the price of what they cost in the US for example. In 12 months' time Australia will have new import laws which will allow us to import NSX's, so suddenly we have the option to get them at much more reasonable prices, and with a lot more to choose from. Many people are going to want these cars, and as outlined above there really aren't that many good ones in Japan to choose from. So, a very limited supply of good quality vehicles in Japan plus a sudden uptake in Australian demand where it wasn't previously possible to import them means prices are likely to rise, and that's why I bought my car now. Even though I have a 12 month wait (and I bought mine a few months ago) I'm confident what I paid for mine won't be possible fairly soon, and I think certainly not in 12 months.

Back