• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help needed with 02-05 Modification Rocker Panel Door Insert

I've got a 92 that I'm doing the 02-05 conversion to. I have all OEM parts and have run into a little snag with the door inserts. I was unaware that the 02-05 doors came drilled for clip mounts. I'm trying to stick to how Honda designed it, so I guess I'm going to drill. Does anyone have a door template? I would really hate to be off on the drilling at all. I know I'm not the first person to run into this, and was wondering how this hurdle has been crossed. I know that it's a long shot, but if anyone has their door inserts off of their 02-05, could they make me a quick paper template? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to text or call as well. (916) 215-1387 Thanks. Stefan

_DSC5950 by Stefan Giachino, on Flickr

_DSC5951 by Stefan Giachino, on Flickr

_DSC5955 by Stefan Giachino, on Flickr

_DSC5948 by Stefan Giachino, on Flickr

Last edited:
This also came as surprise to me when doing the conversion. I assumed double sided tape. I discussed using tape or doing holes, in the end we went went with about 3 holes to secure it. I just had them measure and cut.
Wish I could help more, I sympathize.

When it comes to drilling, what I usually do is buy a thin sheet of plexi and trace the contour of the item piece. Mark off the holes and drill through. Mock it up on the body with painters tape and mark the holes. Easier to make adjustments and or make a mistake on the plexi than the body itself. Hope this helps!

you can always put a bit of paint from a paint market on the stud and tansfer that to the external of the door to know where to drill....or i know of some just removing the stud an using only double sided tape to put it on

Are you sure you want to drill? When I added the OEM 02+ door inserts on my 92? I removed all the clips from the door insert and just used the double sided tape. The OEM tape provided plus a little extra that I added was more than enough to hold it to the door. Trust me, when I had to remove it a couple years later it was a major PITA to remove and remove all the tape residue.

Are you sure you want to drill? When I added the OEM 02+ door inserts on my 92? I removed all the clips from the door insert and just used the double sided tape. The OEM tape provided plus a little extra that I added was more than enough to hold it to the door. Trust me, when I had to remove it a couple years later it was a major PITA to remove and remove all the tape residue.

I hear you on the tape and cutting the studs. I've been looking at all of my options. I even bought a set of Downforce inserts (which are designed for taping) but decided against using them. They need a bunch of sanding to get them flush, and I'd like to stick with OEM when possible. I think I'll probably take my time and drill. I just need to make a really good template.

When it comes to drilling, what I usually do is buy a thin sheet of plexi and trace the contour of the item piece. Mark off the holes and drill through. Mock it up on the body with painters tape and mark the holes. Easier to make adjustments and or make a mistake on the plexi than the body itself. Hope this helps!
great point on the plexi. The main problem I see is the fact that the lower portion of the door is not flat. A flat plexi sheet may be a bit off. I guess I just need to try it first. Thanks for the idea.

Back