• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HELP!!! Opinions on this 93’ NSX deal

Everyone,

After spending the last few months reading everything I can here and Prime and killing a small forest from printing out all the info I could from the FAQ section I have found what I think is a possible car for me. I would really appreciate some other members opinions on this car. Along with any tips for questions I should being asking the owner and/or stuff I should look out for (I have the checklist from the FAQ, and have about two pages already but just want to make sure I cover everything.)

Ok the specs on the car:

1993 NSX Black/Black
~55,000 miles
Mods: Upgraded wheels (HRE’s I think but I’m waiting on confirmation form the owner)
Lowered ¾” w/ nuspeed springs
Comptech Stabilizer bars
Comptech headers
RM Racing exhaust (all stainless???)
RM Racing cold air intake
All new (only a few weeks old) Alpine stereo (Owner said all stereo components have been replaced and/or changed out)

Condition: I have been told the car is in excellent shape and the it is all original paint, I did the Carfax and it came back clean and backed up the prior owner history I got from the current owner (he is the second). I have been told the oil has been changed religiously every 3K miles. The trunk struts have been replaced (by this owner). I have been told the there has not been any pint work done to the car and that other than a few rock chip on the nose the paint is in great shape. So everything sounds good so far….

Here is the part that worries me, the current owner has told me that he has taken the car in to his local Acura dealer for PM service and they have told him that the work he has requested did not need to be done. This work includes belts, hoses, T-belt and water pump. He was told that mileage was a bigger factor with the T-belt and water pump and that his car did not need any work. Now I have no reason to doubt the seller that his car is in fact in great shape and the belts and hoses may be just fine and not need replacing, which I’m ok with but it does concern me that the T-belt and Water pump has not been done especially on a now 11-12 year old car. I don’t think the car has been driven hard but I wanted to get the opinions of what some more experienced NSX owners thought of this car. I have one not great pic of the car now but I should have some more later on today. I’ll pot them when I get them. I’m hoping that the pics will tell me more.
The car is located in Huntsville, AL so if there are any Prime members that are in that area and would be willing to maybe stop by and take a look at this car for me once I have pics and get a better feel for weather I want to pursue it, I would really appreciate it. Either PM me or post up on this thread.
Thanks again to everyone and sorry this was so long.

Bill

I bought a 92 with 58,000 miles the timing belt and water pump were not changed and on a car that is 12 years old it just needs to be done. Lets put it this way if the timing belt breaks in a year or less do you think the dealership is going to pay for the damage, even though they said it didn't need to be done. I replaced mine as soon as I got the car so I could drive it and not have the thought in the back of my head...what if the timing belt breaks...if it does you are out a lot of money. Timing belts are hard to diagnose whether they are good or bad, so like I said for piece of mind change it. Hopefully you can negotiate that into the price.

Regards,

Carl

It seems like the dealer either didnt have a tech that could work on the nsx or they just didnt want to bother. You should have it done.
Its about like driving around without insurance, the odds are sooner or later your luck is going to run out.
Then you are buying another motor.

speed400 said:
Here is the part that worries me, the current owner has told me that he has taken the car in to his local Acura dealer for PM service and they have told him that the work he has requested did not need to be done. This work includes belts, hoses, T-belt and water pump. He was told that mileage was a bigger factor with the T-belt and water pump and that his car did not need any work.
(snip)
The car is located in Huntsville, AL
(snip)

If you do end up purchasing this car, and plan to drive it back to PA I would consider stopping in Nashville to have Barney Demonbruen change the belts, pump and major hoses. You won't find a better deal or more competent person in the Southeast (IMO), and it is not too far out of the way.

Come to think of it, it MIGHT even be worth your time to ask (and pay) Barney to go down to Huntsville to check out the car for you if he is willing. He is Barn Man on this board if you want to PM him. If memory serves, Huntsville is 2-3 hours from Nashville each way + inspection time.

Last edited:
The car sounds great so far. And I'm afraid my answer will mirror everyone else. I had the same situation when I bought my car. Everything perfect, but the t-belt service had not been performed. Everythng I've read says change the T-belt within 7 years. I was able to negotiate 2k less with the seller because I had quotes from several different shops.

You won't really know the true condition of the car until you have it mechanically inspected by a qualified tech, and not all dealerships have good techs for the nsx. Looks like White94 has given you your first lead on someone to help.

Good luck. Let us now what happens. :smile:

Thanks everyone for the help, I absoloutly agree that the T-belt and Water pump should be changed even if only for peice of mind. I want to be able to enjoy the car and not heve to worry about something going wrong. Stuff breaks but I always try to with my cars to do what i can to prevent it or at least minimise a problem be for it gets to the big $$$ point.

White94- I'll keep that in mind about Barney Demonbruen, I still want to see pics and get the answers to my questions back from the owner. Then make a decision about how to get a PPI done and by whom. Along with how best to get the car back up here to me in PA. I'm lucky though that I'm only about 30 min from Langhorn PA where from what I've heard is one of the better NSX techs (Bernnie ???), so if I get it trailered up here I would definatly have an apointment for it to go in there and get the work done ASAP.

clr1024- It is a good a good to keep in mind about using the cost as a negotiating point.

Thanks again,

Bill

Absolutely those items need replacing,and I doubt the dealer told the owner,naa they don't need to be changed :confused: Absolutely the cost of these items needs to be factered into selling price.

The bigest reason I am questioning the fact that the work has not been done is that the justification the owner is giving me for not having any service records is that the dealer told him that none of the work need to be done. :confused:

Re: HELP!!! Opinions on this 93’ NSX deal

docjohn said:
I doubt the dealer told the owner,naa they don't need to be changed :confused:

In 2003 I took my '95 in for the timing belt job at 47k miles and a year "late" per the schedule. The dealer told me " you don't have to do it until 90k you know" - this from a dealer who services a fair # of NSX's.

speed400 said:
the dealer told him that none of the work need to be done. :confused:
I'm sure the dealer believed this.

T Bolen said:
In 2003 I took my '95 in for the timing belt job at 47k miles and a year "late" per the schedule. The dealer told me " you don't have to do it until 90k you know"

More proof that just cause a dealership says they work on NSX's doesn't mean that they know what they are doing. :cool:

Back