• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Help selling 2004 SLK320 AMG

My boss asked me for help selling his 2003 SLK320 AMG w/27k miles. I've checked for comparable cars for sale on mbworld.org, craigslist, etc and can't a similar vehicle.

I know there are a lot of MB owners here, any recommendations on how to price this and where to list it for free? (He said he had it on autotrader but had no luck, could be that it was priced too high though which is why I want to do a bit of research).

Thanks!

Last edited:
you don't want to search for 'SLK320 AMG', because either it is a SLK320 or its an SLK32 AMG. If it's supercharged then it's 32 AMG. I just pulled up autotrader nationwide and found 21 hits from '03 - 05. What's he asking for it?

whatever it is they are really soft for resale. it's about 10-13K back of wholesale book. or even better, use kbb.com and put the info on TRADE value under FAIR ONLY. add about 2K and thats how much you should sell it for. don't be shocked when you see the price. I just wholesaled a 05 c230 Kompresor w/51K miles sport one owner no accidents orig paint for 13000 and put a grand in my pocket.

It can have AMG wheels and other bits without being an "AMG" model, right from the dealership.

We've had an SLK230 for several years. I think the reason the price is weak is that it's a weak car, especially in the interior. The retracting hardtop was pure genius but not nearly as unique now as it was 10 years ago.

Power in the non AMG models is not impressive but the AMG SLKs are little rocket ships. The only way I'd ever get another one would be for the AMG power.

Well that makes sense, my mom has a SLK 320 w/amg wheels, all the bells & whistles. It's kind of a fun little car, fairly heavy with that top though, & not much faster than my 01 IS. But the SLK 32 on the other hand, they packed a lot of engine under the hood in that thing.

whatever it is they are really soft for resale. it's about 10-13K back of wholesale book. or even better, use kbb.com and put the info on TRADE value under FAIR ONLY. add about 2K and thats how much you should sell it for. don't be shocked when you see the price. I just wholesaled a 05 c230 Kompresor w/51K miles sport one owner no accidents orig paint for 13000 and put a grand in my pocket.

I need to explain to him why I'd use trade value vs private sale when this is a private sale. Private sale comes up with:

Excellent
$25,485

* Looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning.
* Never had any paint or body work and is free of rust.
* Clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection.
* Engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects.
* Complete and verifiable service records.

Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.
Good
$24,185

* Free of any major defects.
* Clean title history, the paints, body, and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems.
* Little or no rust on this vehicle.
* Tires match and have substantial tread wear left.
* A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail.

Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.
Fair
$22,390

* Some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition.
* Clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional.
* Tires may need to be replaced.
* There may be some repairable rust damage.

Basically I need to compile some decent data for him as to why he's pricing his car too high ($25K OBO). I haven't had a chance yet to search on it without the AMG, perhaps after the wife goes to bed.

Last edited:
FYI, SLK320 with sport package (pretty much all model line with sport package) comes with AMG wheels and AMG body aerodynamic.

AMG's always have 2 numbers not 3 at the end. C32, SLK32, CLK63 AMG ect..are all real. I don't know why people add the AMG badge on their car when it's not.. I pulled up to a guy at a light with a nice MB that was badgeless.. I asked what type of car he had and he said "C55 AMG" I said .."Nice!" ..then I look at his brakes and they're the regular C-class brakes.. :rolleyes:

Look at his brakes..they will say AMG on them if it's real.

Last edited:
My fault, he never claimed it was an AMG, I just assumed because of the wheels and I think I saw the badge somewhere else, but could be wrong.

yes a 320 "amg" would be the sport model with amg aero/wheels, really makes any mercedes look 100x better.

the year and miles you could shoot for say 27k maybe 28k but if push comes to shove and your boss needs to sell it i wouldnt go below 25k, maybe 24 if he is extremely desperate

My boss asked me for help selling his 2004 SLK320 AMG w/27k miles. I've checked for comparable cars for sale on mbworld.org, craigslist, etc and can't a similar vehicle.

I know there are a lot of MB owners here, any recommendations on how to price this and where to list it for free? (He said he had it on autotrader but had no luck, could be that it was priced too high though which is why I want to do a bit of research).

Thanks!

The car is worth about 18-22.
There are no demands for the SLK class ,they are small , slow , and ugly in my opinion:cool::redface:
Why not craigslist?.

The car market is very soft. The used market with that car is soft to begin with. I flip a dozen or so cars/motorcycles a year but have done 3 in the past 6 months because it was taking ages to sell everything but economy cars where the pricing is already very tight.

If I was him I'd take anything over 20k for it. 04 is right on the brink of becoming an old MB as after 5 years old the market gets slim quickly.

Back