• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help - Spots on Garage Floor

No problem guys! Glad to share this information with everyone.

I do all the work on my car myself for the most part so anytime I can share my findings I will be glad to do so.

No problem guys! Glad to share this information with everyone.

I do all the work on my car myself for the most part so anytime I can share my findings I will be glad to do so.

Wow, as others said, thanks for taking the time to share that. Good info!

Sorry to revive an old thread.

I recently found these little "droppings" on the garage floor as everyone has described. Thanks to xory72 for finding the source of the mysterious material. I know feel better knowing where those little "droppings" came from.

I'm curious, for those of us who find this material on the floor, should we have the part replaced for preventive measure during our timing belt replacement? Or is the part so easy to replace that it can be done any time?

I also have noticed this curious phenomenon from my 1992 NSX with 140,000 kms. Thanks to all for clearing up the mystery. Once again these forums prove to be an invaluable wealth of knowledge and experience.

Sorry to revive an old thread.

I recently found these little "droppings" on the garage floor as everyone has described. Thanks to xory72 for finding the source of the mysterious material. I know feel better knowing where those little "droppings" came from.

I'm curious, for those of us who find this material on the floor, should we have the part replaced for preventive measure during our timing belt replacement? Or is the part so easy to replace that it can be done any time?

Any thoughts on this guys?
Is there a replacement part# or piece that does NOT have the tar on the surface to prevent the problem from re-occuring?

Thanks

Any thoughts on this guys?
Is there a replacement part# or piece that does NOT have the tar on the surface to prevent the problem from re-occuring?

Thanks

Yes, after reading this thread I've noticed that I'm having this too. Is there a replacement part that will permanently fix this?

During a TB change, I have seen this on a '91, but not on my '96. So, perhaps they made a change in the potting compound used in the sensor somewhere between '91 & '96.

It appears to be a cosmetic issue in that the '91 that had the drooling goo is still running fine.

If someone is really concerned about this, they could check to see if the part numbers changed in the '91 to '96 timeframe.

I just had my valves adjusted and decided to change the TB & WP. My mechanic noticed the goo on the tensioner, WP and the belt. It was from the crank sensor. So I had the $200 part replaced. I didn't like that crap on my timing belt or my garage floor. I figured it was cheaper to fix it with the engine opened up now than later. Also had the solenoid seals replaced for peace of mind.

Interesting to note, that there are these little newts under the engine compartment of my wife's Accord as well, have been there since it was new 7 years and 36,000 miles ago. Mine just started to appear after the timing belt/water pump change last year.

During a TB change, I have seen this on a '91, but not on my '96. So, perhaps they made a change in the potting compound used in the sensor somewhere between '91 & '96.

It appears to be a cosmetic issue in that the '91 that had the drooling goo is still running fine.

If someone is really concerned about this, they could check to see if the part numbers changed in the '91 to '96 timeframe.

Just an FYI, same part# 1991-2005. The fact is if you replace it you will end up with a fresh supply of goop!!!!

Regards,
LarryB

Larry,
They must have used it on the 4 cylinder Accord through 2008, (and beyond perhaps ??????)
Thanks for the response. Puts one's mind at ease a bit.
D

Back