• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help With Overheating

My 92 overheated several weeks ago driving from Jacksonville to Tampa in 98 degree heat with the AC on going 90+ I noticed the AC getting warm, and then the gauge in the red. Pulled over, and let it cool. Found a bucket and water, filled er up and drove home with the AC off, and it was fine. Now, I can't get it to repeat the problem? My guess is I have a leak, and it just was low on fluid, and given the conditions??.......the electric cooling fan runs when it gets to about half way on the gauge--I assume the fan does not run full time with the AC on? If it is supposed to, then that's a problem--could not find this in the manual. It may be OK, and I need to look for a small leak--Any ideas will be appreciated.

The AC condensors have their own fans so the raditator fan runs as needed based on the coolant temp. The compressor is cut off when the coolant temp gets very high which would be why you lost cooling from the AC. It just seems like you got low on coolant.

Mine too was overheating, I was low on coolant, so I suspect a small leak somewhere.

Low on coolant means there is a leak.

My '92 sprung a small leak in the coolant bottle itself. You might check there first. It only leaked when hot. Look for areas where coolant has dried - should leave an outline of where it was wet in white. You might be able to find it by smell, also.

Low on coolant means there is a leak.

My '92 sprung a small leak in the coolant bottle itself. You might check there first. It only leaked when hot. Look for areas where coolant has dried - should leave an outline of where it was wet in white. You might be able to find it by smell, also.

I have the same prob, I think. I'm gonna check the bottle. Thanks.

Back