• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help with San Francisco visit

Hi every one. It's been a while.

My wife and I are planning to visit San Francisco and have no idea where to start. Any ideas or suggestions on what to do for fun, what to see, where to eat, etc etc?
We also have no idea where to stay, in terms of hotels/motels. What's a decent priced place to book in town, where we'll have decent access to China Town as well?

Any tips and recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks again folks.

ChongLee

You should take a tour of alcatraz but you need to book in advance since they usually sell out before you get there. I think there is only one tour operator that gives you actual access to the island and the prison while others only sail by the island.

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

978301827_JPZXo-L.jpg

If you are bringing a car take note that parking is very expensive and I haven't found any hotels in the city that gives free parking with some charging around $40 per day to park.

Ride the cable cars and stand on the outside holding on to the rails.

979259019_eYCgX-L.jpg

Don't know what your budget is but hotels are fairly expensive. Fishermans wharf area is crowded and can be noisy but is close to Alcatraz and cable cars to get to other areas and sites.

http://www.fishermanswharf.org/

978299245_nmNfj-L.jpg

Drive over the golden gate and go the top of the hill for photo ops and perhaps catch the fog rolling in on the bay if you can time it right.

http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/sanfrancisco/a/ggbridge_2.htm

977264681_66rGT-L.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Large order! So much to see, so much to do.
I've lived my life here (born here too!).
Private me and we'll set up a telephone call. This will be a 1,000 post thread otherwise.
(FYI Aqua is 30 minutes away from SF across the Golden Gate Bridge... and some of the cable cars -- not trolleys, please -- are closed down for repairs.)

Last edited:
I like to stay outside of San Francisco as it can get pricey in San Fran, as well as expensive to park a rental car.

I stay in Foster City / San Mateo, which is a really great location - easy to go south to San Jose, west to Half Moon Bay, north to San Francisco, east to Oakland.

I recommend a Marriott Residence Inn in San Mateo, which gives you a kitchen, free hot breakfast, and free parking.

Then drive the car to Half Moon Bay, up the coast towards San Francisco. That is a beautiful drive, with some great places to stop, eat, and look at the ocean.

In San Francisco fisherman's wharf is always popular. Golden Gate bridge is over-rated imho, but nice still. You can eat very well in San Fran. I know of a few great places, even awesome sushi at 2am. You'll be able to find a ton of places on Yelp.com.

If you have time, drive south to Monterrey, which is very fun as well.

Enjoy.

Chong the hotel I recommended is in a very quiet peacefull location aboyt 5 minutes away from the Golden Gate, plenty of free parking, quiet, great views, great rooms. If you rent a car it is easy to get around, and you also are closer to Muir woods, Mt. Tampalais, and from there can head to wine country. It's a bit away from all the noise.

Whoa!! Wait........... Chong Lee is coming to town!

Is the Kumite in San Francisco this year?

chong-li.jpg

Whoa!! Wait........... Chong Lee is coming to town!

Is the Kumite in San Francisco this year?

chong-li.jpg

LOL... I love this guy... been around forever in so many movies. Wasn't he in Enter the Dragon too when young?

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it.

My sister and brother-in-law are coming along now, and have actually booked somewhere cheap, so that takes care of the lodging. We have relatives in Sac, so we'll be going there as well, but most of the time will be in San Fran. Honestly, I think the women already have their mind set for China Town market shopping, but I'm sure we'll do other things as well.

RSO 34 - Love that reply. We'll definitely give the Cable Cars a try, and head out to see the Golden Gate bridge.

NsXMas - I'm debating that drive. I heard it was very nice.

Dhalsim / TURBO2GO - I'm not as deadly. :biggrin:

SFNSXguy - I'll pm u. We're heading down in 2 1/2 weeks :smile:

Thanks again for the suggestions, everyone.

My girlfriend and I were just there.!
Walked a lot and explored a lot.

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency, The Dive, and Hotel Union Square. Go to alcatraz but get tickets early, ride the trolly, rent a car and drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and then turn off abd go up the coast.

Places we saw:
fishermans warf pier 39 i think it is.
Golden gate park
height ashbery district
china town
union square
nob hill
(saw the Japan Relief car show)
the coast
and lots more.

Enjoy your trip and feel free to pm me for any other info i might be able to help you with.

Last edited:
Back