• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

here comes the manual-only Civic Type R

I'm thinking it would make a fun summer commuter car with the analog feel i love with the old nsx. Some folks on Ytube say the auto rev on downshifts is a little slow and that the 20 inch wheels could be downsized to shave some weight? Do you feel you are driving a front drive or not?

thanks...interesting read....have you driven the car?

The Civic Type R has a very wide spread from comfort to race, pretty astonishing. It's capable of being used as a DD and as a track tool with a bone stock car, no mods needed at all. All by just a single blip on the toggle button. Compared to the (old) NSX: it's like having a targa, coupe, Type S and Type R version in one single car (no exaggeration).

You can feel that they've invested a lot of time on the Nurburgring track as the suspension is by far the best I've had and it's far superior to a stock NSX (sorry again). The grip level is far beyond everything Honda has produced except the new NSX (I've never driven).

The engine pulls very strong, 400 Nm and if you love turbo you'll certainly love it. Yes, you feel it's a FWD, even in 3rd gear on uneven roads but it's kind of fun. A real fun factor too is how it pulls into the corner when you step on the throttle, very cool feature to have. The development of the power is addictive (turbo, more boost, even more turbo, are we finshed now? no wait, I forgot V-TEC, off it goes) Turbo and VTEC are really big fun. :D In sport mode it's like walking with a (very young) dog. In comfort mode it avoids major speeding tickets by a flatter throttle response. :)

Why the (old) NSX is still a different animal
The turbo is fun but if you're used to a ultradirect throttle reaction the NSX wins in the end. The NSX is much more linear and driving it fast esp. through turns you get the power when you need it (stress on the time factor). Not so with the turbo: it's very different to drive it fast because you never get the desired amount of power in the fraction of the second when you need/want it. There's still lag, a short one but noticable one when you drove a NA car before. So driving a car fast the (old) NSX wins by far (if you have some tasteful mods on it).

I don't use auto rev matching because after a while using it I drove like an idiot with all other cars esp. the NSX as I forgot to blip the throtte while downshifting. So this function is off in the Civic.

No need to mount different wheels. I know that the US guys have experienced bent rims from large potholes. We don't have potholes here, so no bent rims. Some people mount different rims but the all do the same faults as they lower the offset of the aftermarket wheels and disturb the suspension geometry. But each its own.

That's my personal review of the car. I've seen many reviews on youtube with different self-declared and respected experts driving a lot more cars than I'll be ever driving. They like it as well but tend to stress different aspects (than me).

I love
- the shape
- the color (Blue is gorgeous)
- seats
- steering wheel
- space
- all features you have in today's cars
- LED lights
- how the exhaust sounds (very melodic for a 4 cylinder)
- plus a very long list of things..................................................

Things to live with (completely sissy thingies, so please don't...)
- it takes more time to wash the car
- I'd like to have it start in a my desired mode but it only starts in sport

Buy again: 100 % for sure, really a car with a BIG fun factor as whatever you're going to use it. I can only recommend it. :)

Picture of the beautiful beast (hmmm, not a good quality after conversion...sorry, she looks much better in reality)
_DSF1571.JPG

Last edited:
awesome thanks for the review!

Not a bad car by any means. Just WAY overstyled...

is it rice if its oem? remember its RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It is neat though. I like a lot about it. It needs to shed some aero bits though.:wink:

is it rice if its oem?
The aero of the R polarizes, you like it or hate it, some other people like it and it surely turns heads (if they like it or not :) I don't care :wink:). 'Rice' dates back to the time when people started to modify a base model to their personal taste (with more or less success :)). But this R doesn't need any mods IMHO, it's very much unlike the old days.

The R is a car for a true enthusiast, it's not a 'wolf in sheep's clothing' like most other cars in the hot hatch category. I also hope it to have the built-in Honda reliability we're used to (unlike other makes which fall apart right after the warranty ended).

Maybe not the typical Type R owner but Honda's lovely attempt to point out that the car is not for teenagers only. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25UTt-05QK4&feature=youtu.be

Great video. Love the blue color, but not all the black plastic and big rear wing.

Sounds like two test drives are in order! The type R and the step down sport model. :biggrin::wink:

A friend loves hers!

Last edited:
Hey Gold how are the oem brake pads? up to a track day out of the box?

Rear wing

A local dealer dismounts the big rear wing if a customer wants it off.

Brakes

They're excellent on the street. Never been on the track. But if they work on the Nurburgring they'll work on most tracks as well.

Maybe just a hint but I'm glad that the wheels are black and not white or silver because the pads dust quite a lot and sometimes they squeel a little bit. So we can say they're not street pads. :)

I'm thinking it looks best in C. White....

CSW looks good indeed.

The first batch has been sold by the dealers in the US with a heavy premium (around 20k). But I guess things calmed down in the meanwhile. But you won't get a big discount either (in contrary to the NSX). But that thing is still big (and best) bang for the buck.

The aero of the R polarizes, you like it or hate it, some other people like it and it surely turns heads (if they like it or not :) I don't care :wink:). 'Rice' dates back to the time when people started to modify a base model to their personal taste (with more or less success :)). But this R doesn't need any mods IMHO, it's very much unlike the old days.

The R is a car for a true enthusiast, it's not a 'wolf in sheep's clothing' like most other cars in the hot hatch category. I also hope it to have the built-in Honda reliability we're used to (unlike other makes which fall apart right after the warranty ended).

Maybe not the typical Type R owner but Honda's lovely attempt to point out that the car is not for teenagers only. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25UTt-05QK4&feature=youtu.be

Is that you???

CSW looks good indeed.

The first batch has been sold by the dealers in the US with a heavy premium (around 20k). But I guess things calmed down in the meanwhile. But you won't get a big discount either (in contrary to the NSX). But that thing is still big (and best) bang for the buck.

agree at sticker its a no brainer.....esp for those of us still wanting to row through gears...

So I put in an order for a white...Many dealers play games with up to 5k market adjustments...most seem to cling to at least 1k...but the used prices are strong so the car will probably depreciate less than average.

Cool. :) You'll love it. Did you testdrive one before your order? When is scheduled to arrive?

It looks like the car faces a strong demand in the US. Not so in Europe. We have about 70 new cars here in Switzerland and you can get one with a high discount on MSRP.

They've produced around 22k units so far. In two years or so, Swindon will be shut down. Not sure what Honda is going to do with it.

Nope no test....mid August....I can't think of another 4 seater with generous trunk and a 6 speed for under 38k that can do a 7:43 ring time:biggrin:

.So really enjoying this car.Below 4k revs the wife is happy..above ...the boys are happy:biggrin:....love the 295 ft/lbs as 6'th gear is no overdrive....the 3 shock setting are also very noticeable...brakes and pads are very good oem.No track yet...

.So really enjoying this car.Below 4k revs the wife is happy..above ...the boys are happy:biggrin:....love the 295 ft/lbs as 6'th gear is no overdrive....the 3 shock setting are also very noticeable...brakes and pads are very good oem.No track yet...

Getting all-season/winter tires for winter driving?

Back