• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1992 Acura NSX Barn Find Emerges with Only 2,000 Miles on the Clock

Found in Pennsylvania recently. Has sat for over 20 years because of the cost of insurance. Wow. A real time capsule. Article link is here.

1712765696282.jpeg
1712771780862.png

Last edited:
This car is being discussed ad naseum on the Facebook NSX groups. Mostly making fun of the broker who is representing this car as a top-notch museum piece when it will obviously need lots and lots of work. Every piece of rubber needs to be replaced, and the entire interior is covered in mold. The broker keeps saying "the car was prepped for long-term storage" and everyone else is like "say what?" Car flipper thinking he can pull one over on the NSX community and instead he got slammed.

sounds like a once beloved online poker thread on prime that almost broke the internet..

Thanks for the article.

It definitely is a neat barn find, but I would have done things differently if I was the broker. Personally, I would have taken these photos and save them. Then take it a detailer (sounds like they have plans on doing that according to the article). Once it's all cleaned up take new photos. Finally gather all the photos in one complete gallery for the sale. That's usually how I see vehicles like these sold. In rare occasions for the ultra rare vehicles, I've seen them sold as-is with the barn dust.

By showing just these photos, it brings up a lot of questions about the vehicle. Sounds like the FB group has a whole collections of Q's and comments.

One thing for sure, it's bringing a lot of hype and chats. Here we are talking about it.

Anyways, it's definitely a museum piece that will probably never be driven. A collector will definitely enjoy it.

Thanks for the article.

It definitely is a neat barn find, but I would have done things differently if I was the broker. Personally, I would have taken these photos and save them. Then take it a detailer (sounds like they have plans on doing that according to the article). Once it's all cleaned up take new photos. Finally gather all the photos in one complete gallery for the sale. That's usually how I see vehicles like these sold. In rare occasions for the ultra rare vehicles, I've seen them sold as-is with the barn dust.

By showing just these photos, it brings up a lot of questions about the vehicle. Sounds like the FB group has a whole collections of Q's and comments.

One thing for sure, it's bringing a lot of hype and chats. Here we are talking about it.

Anyways, it's definitely a museum piece that will probably never be driven. A collector will definitely enjoy it.
Agree 100%

AMMO NYC is one of the best out there, but they can only make the car look pretty. We all know from the years of reading the build threads here and Kaz's blog what's going on inside the car. All the rubber is likely rotted out. The brake pistons are likely completely rusted and pitted out. Fuel lines, injectors. Basically anything with oil or gasoline exposure is going to need inspection at a minimum and likely a lot of replacement. All the HVAC foam has probably disintegrated into dust and are they really gonna refill R12? What about the capacitors and all of the solder joints on the circuit boards?

As for the engine, it's a Golden Era Honda, so about 20 min running with fresh oil will probably clean it all out. :)

Definitely a good car for a collector. NOT a driver.

It’s worth whatever someone will pay, but nothing really “rare” about a 1992- they made 1271 US cars that year, second only to 3162 in 1991.

Not sure what kind of “collector” would prefer this needs-absolutely-everything example over a well maintained car with, say, 20k miles.

The detailing job exterior/interior INCLUDING removal and treatment for all the mold is at least $5k alone, assuming none of the upholstery or carpet needs to be replaced, and that would be the price with my detailer, I'm guessing AMMO is going to be at the top of the price range. So what do you think the total restoration cost will be for everything mentioned above? This is at least $25-30k job *assuming* engine can be simply drained and refilled with fresh oil and will run perfectly (low mileage Honda engine so no reason to think it won't). The car is worth maybe $125k in fully restored condition with that color and miles. So what will auction price be? I think less than $100k, while the broker thinks it will be $200k. I think he's sniffed too much of that interior mold while taking the pictures.

The broker lost all credibility when he claimed this to be the lowest mileage NSX in the US. It just shows how out of touch he is with the NSX market.

The broker lost all credibility when he claimed this to be the lowest mileage NSX in the US. It just shows how out of touch he is with the NSX market.

If he had made his original post some some humility, instead of all the false bravado, and solicited feedback from the NSX community, he could have generated some real excitement and maybe even increased the purchase price. Instead, like you said, he lost all credibility, and ended up the subject of ridicule. Everyone is going to bring up these pictures of the pre-restored condition when the auction goes live, since the internet never forgets.

I bought a 93 with about 3700 miles on it about a year ago (I think I posted about it here on Prime). I'm not sure how it had been stored, since it had been fully detailed before I saw it. All of the rubber in the car was pristine and still looked new. I took the car to SoS and asked them to go through it top to bottom and make it ready for serious road use. It needed a timing belt and water pump, as well as other general preventative maintenance attention. As I recall, the total bill was about $7000. I paid 142,000 for the car. Not sure where the white barn find will sell, but happy to say my similarly low mile car did not suffer much from its lack of use.

I feel so happy to have the car and I drive the heck out of it. I also promptly started modifying it, which is mandatory for me. Some of you may remember that I had a Zanardi that I did the same thing to, much to the hand-wringing of the peanut gallery. Love these cars...love to drive them, look at them, polish them and coddle them. Still think it's the best road car I've ever driven, and that's right now, in 2024. I think I've got about 9000 miles on it now, and that's impressive given that it's not the only cool car in my garage.

I wonder if the buyer of this white car will drive it...cars are crappy investments, so one would believe that the wise man would take the money that he would spend on it and put it in the market. As for me, I just wanted another NSX to drive, and a low mileage car for me was like going back to 93 and buying it new. I'm a bit of an oddball, however.

1713535164104.jpeg

Back