• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

High Praise for Don at Hilltop Auto Service

Here is my recent experience with FA. This just happened last week.

I've been looking for a local shop to take my 04 in for the 15k service. Auto West Acura (formerly Stevens Creek Acura) quoted me $600. Since many of you here recommended FA, so I went to their site to request a quote for the service. They wanted $700.00 and gave me a short list of the stuff that are included like valve adjustment, engine oil and oil filter change, etc. Steve was the person who responded to my email. I stated that I know what need to be done according to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. I'm just surprised that they would charge more than the dealer. (I know that they are expensive. One of my friends used to take his Accord there. The reason he stopped doing that is because he thinks they are just charging way too much.) Anyway, the response I got from Steve was " You sound like a smart consumer." He claimed that they use Redline oil and trans fluid and they do a lot more than what the manufacturer suggests. My response to him was that I know Redline is expensive and suppose to be better. The questions are........how much better? Does it warrant the cost? Is it necessary to do more than what the manufacturer suggested and charge the customer for it? I'm sure we all have different opinions on this. As for me personally, honesty is just as important as the quality of work done. Since I didn't even get a response from him, I don't think they want my business. I just didn't feel good about dealing with whoever this Steve person is. Needless to say, I'm not taking my car there.

Some of you recommended Los Gatos Acura. Would you please give me the name of the mechanic that I should deal with? I also want to try Hilltop. It's just a little too far from here. Thanks.....

Chajonlee said:
<snip> Some of you recommended Los Gatos Acura. Would you please give me the name of the mechanic that I should deal with? I also want to try Hilltop. It's just a little too far from here. Thanks.....
i believe they only have one nsx certified mechanic. perhaps you could use yahoo / google search to find lg acura and call their service dept.

they've done work on both of my nsx's and the work's always been correct, on time / as promised and pricing seemed reasonable.

Chajonlee said:
Some of you recommended Los Gatos Acura. Would you please give me the name of the mechanic that I should deal with? I also want to try Hilltop. It's just a little too far from here. Thanks.....

I think the NSX tech at LGA was "Gary". If memory serves -- I haven't been there in a while.

Don's Hilltop is right off of 280, so it's really not that far -- should only take you 20-30 minutes going up 280 during non-commute times.

Chajonlee said:
Here is my recent experience with FA. This just happened last week.

I've been looking for a local shop to take my 04 in for the 15k service. Auto West Acura (formerly Stevens Creek Acura) quoted me $600. Since many of you here recommended FA, so I went to their site to request a quote for the service. They wanted $700.00 and gave me a short list of the stuff that are included like valve adjustment, engine oil and oil filter change, etc. Steve was the person who responded to my email. I stated that I know what need to be done according to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. I'm just surprised that they would charge more than the dealer. (I know that they are expensive. One of my friends used to take his Accord there. The reason he stopped doing that is because he thinks they are just charging way too much.) Anyway, the response I got from Steve was " You sound like a smart consumer." He claimed that they use Redline oil and trans fluid and they do a lot more than what the manufacturer suggests. My response to him was that I know Redline is expensive and suppose to be better. The questions are........how much better? Does it warrant the cost? Is it necessary to do more than what the manufacturer suggested and charge the customer for it? I'm sure we all have different opinions on this. As for me personally, honesty is just as important as the quality of work done. Since I didn't even get a response from him, I don't think they want my business. I just didn't feel good about dealing with whoever this Steve person is. Needless to say, I'm not taking my car there.

Steve is one of the owners of FA Honda. I think like everyone stated, it's a matter of preference where you want to take your car. Pricing to me is not a issue as long as I can trust the mechanic that can maintain my car at a level that I'm happy with. I will NEVER take my car to a dealership unless for warranty work.

I think Don is one of the most talented, honest and reputable mechanics. My history with Don began in spring of 2004. I had been taking my NSX to a local Acura dealer for service and infrequent repairs. In March I noticed small spots of liquid on my garage floor and took it in to get an estimate. They said the coolant reservoir was leaking slightly. In addition, they said they found a oil leak from the crank seal. The total estimate was approximately $4500 (my recollection). They said they would have to remove the engine to fix it. Well needless to say I wasn’t a happy camper but pulled together the cash for the fix. However, before getting the service I did a little research by surfing the net, where I discovered NSX Prime, and from Prime Don at Hilltop. I called him on a Saturday morning explained what the dealer told me. He thought that a crank seal leak was unlikely and said bring it in and we’ll look at it. When I arrived at his shop and he had both lifts being used. After looking over the car he removed a car in mid service and put mine up. After a few minutes he said you have one leaking Vtech gasket and a leaky oil pan gasket. He quoted something like $450 to fix the oilpan and replace both Vtech gaskets. Needless to say I was ecstatic. Since I had set aside the cash for the original repair, I bought a set of headers, exhaust, and coolant tank for SOS (also discovered on Prime). Don installed everything and fixed the leaks for $1154. Needless to say Don does and will continue to be my only NSX mechanic. I hihly recommend him to anyone. I live in the east bay and gladly commute tohis Daily City shop.

Chajonlee said:
He claimed that they use Redline oil and trans fluid and they do a lot more than what the manufacturer suggests.
FA indeed put Redline in my NSX, but regular Pennzoil in my Integra. I'm
sure you can request whatever oil you prefer. I've asked them to use
Mobil 1 before. For the record, they charged me $50.34 for 6 quarts
of Redline oil, and $25.71 for 3 quarts of Redline MT90 2 weeks ago.
The local auto parts store charges $6.95/quart of Redline oil.

Chajonlee said:
As for me personally, honesty is just as important as the quality of work done.
I think they are honest.
1. They didn't charge me to replace a tire valve stem in Feb 06 on a tire they mounted in May 05.
2. When my check engine light came on (and off after I restarted the car) in
Sept 2003, they charged me $27 for diagnosis - suspect rear oxygen sensor going bad. They said I can wait and see if the problem comes back. It didn't
reoccur until Jul 05. Cost to replace was $214.35 parts + $90 labor.
3. 2 years ago I asked if I should replace all the coolant hoses. They looked
at some of the hoses, and said I can wait and keep an eye on them. I finally
replaced them last month since I plan to participate in a couple of driving
schools this year. Labor was $570 for the hoses + $47.50 for oil cooler base
o-rings. I'm too lazy to add up the cost of the 28 or so hoses/rings.
4. Once I asked them to replace the coolant before a NSX driving school,
and they told me I didn't need to.

I'm sure Don at Hilltop is excellent and cheaper. I'm glad we have several
good choices.

EK said:
I'm glad we have several good choices.

I agree with the above quote as well. I also feel that if something is done in error by any of the shops in the Bay Area, they should be given an opportunity to correct the problem. If they give you a difficult time or refuse to correct the problem, then its time too move on.

Dinan M3 - Of all the techs that work at Foreign Affair, which one(s) do you trust with your Zanardi?

Thanks,

Mike

joove said:
Reviving an old thread here.

But yeah, judging from all these posts, I think I'll have don do the timing belt and 60k on my 94.

FA, while it has a great reputation with a lot of people has left me with a bad experience. It was a small thing I admit, a matter of some Type-SH specific seals and fluids making it into the parts list that they billed me for. I called them up and explained. I guess all I was looking for was, sorry, lousy software, won't happen again. But no, they never apologized! Never did mail me the check for the extra amount they charged me either. The forgetting to mail I could forgive, but not apologizing for what could be construed as dishonest billing, I will not forgive. As far as I am concerned they have lost my business and all of my honda owning friends's as well. I'd rather pay more and have the Los Gatos Acura NSX Tech handle the car (He is super) if I cannot drive all the way to don.

-vamsi

I wanted to try Don's so I sent him an email a week ago and I still haven't received a response. Anyway, I talked to Los Gatos Acura and plan to take the car there this Friday. They told me that they have 2 certified technicians for NSX. The main tech is Dave Yuhas. I told them that since I have an appt and the job should take no more than 2 hours. I'll wait as I don't want to leave the car there all day for anyone to joyride. Given that this is only a 15k service, all needs to be done are all outlined in the maintainence schedule. They quoted me $215.95 + tax. I'll make sure they use synthetic oil.

Now, I'm still very surprised that different shops would charge such different prices. FA wanted $700.00. Auto West Acura wanted $600.00 Given that Los Gatos is an upscale town, I thought they would charge more. All claim that they do more than what the manufacturer suggest. The car is practically new and I really have no reason to believe that they would do only the minimum. I just don't want to pay for anything that is not necessary. I'll post my experience with LGA later.

Chajonlee said:
I wanted to try Don's so I sent him an email a week ago and I still haven't received a response.

In my talkings with Don, I get the impression that he's not much of a computer/internet guy. Best way to reach him is the old fashioned way: telephone.

LGA are good guys, tho', and I'm sure you'll get good service. They don't stock synthetic oil (at least, they didn't last time I was there), so you might have to bring your own if you want them to use it.

Chajonlee said:
I wanted to try Don's so I sent him an email a week ago and I still haven't received a response. Anyway, I talked to Los Gatos Acura and plan to take the car there this Friday. They told me that they have 2 certified technicians for NSX. The main tech is Dave Yuhas. I told them that since I have an appt and the job should take no more than 2 hours. I'll wait as I don't want to leave the car there all day for anyone to joyride. Given that this is only a 15k service, all needs to be done are all outlined in the maintainence schedule. They quoted me $215.95 + tax. I'll make sure they use synthetic oil.

Now, I'm still very surprised that different shops would charge such different prices. FA wanted $700.00. Auto West Acura wanted $600.00 Given that Los Gatos is an upscale town, I thought they would charge more. All claim that they do more than what the manufacturer suggest. The car is practically new and I really have no reason to believe that they would do only the minimum. I just don't want to pay for anything that is not necessary. I'll post my experience with LGA later.

Have you ever heard of the term Bait and Switch? Let us know how it goes.

ryans said:
Have you ever heard of the term Bait and Switch? Let us know how it goes.
i used lg acura for all of my 2000 nsx maintenance and found them quite reliable and that their pre-work quotes matched the final prices. i always provided them with any non-standard materials i wanted used to keep prices in line.

Chajonlee said:

I showed up at my appt time. They put it on the rack immediately. I waited for 1.5 hours in the waiting room and paid $262.87 (as quoted) out the door because of synthetic oil. Dave worked on my car. Everyone there seemed to be very professional and courteous. They even offered to wash it and I declined becuase it doesn't need it. I'll definitely go back to LGA. I've saved hundreds of $ by not going to FA and Auto West Acura. This is my first service since I acquired her.

Chajonlee said:
I showed up at my appt time. They put it on the rack immediately. I waited for 1.5 hours in the waiting room and paid $262.87 (as quoted) out the door because of synthetic oil. Dave worked on my car. Everyone there seemed to be very professional and courteous. They even offered to wash it and I declined becuase it doesn't need it. I'll definitely go back to LGA. I've saved hundreds of $ by not going to FA and Auto West Acura. This is my first service since I acquired her.
oops, i forgot to mention they wash the car... even if it's there for only an oil change.

glad it worked out.

I picked up my car from Hilltop this afternoon from having a 30K service done (we're at 131600 miles now). Don, as always, was great. He just completed some clutch and electrical work for me on my daily driver (90 Accord, 365,000 miles) this week also.

As a comparison with other shops, total price for the NSX's 30k service =$821.00.

The car feels alot smoother and a bit stronger through the rpm range now. Last big service was 3 years ago.

The timing belt is at 6 years and 45k miles, so I'll be touching bases with Don again soon for that work.

Charles

How did Hilltop Auto Service get as popular as he is for nsx owners' services? I mean the place looks pretty hidden away. How was the gem discovered and how did it spread?

Just curious as I'll be living up the hill from the shop.

Hill Top has done the bulk of work on my NSX for a decade. Some I do myself -- I'm capable, I built and raced cars in SCCA and IMSA for 30 years... even owned my own shop for a few years back in the early '70s.
When Don does it, I don't have to wonder if I missed something.
You may find a shop somewhere that does as good a job, but you won't find one that does a better job.

How did Hilltop Auto Service get as popular as he is for nsx owners' services? I mean the place looks pretty hidden away. How was the gem discovered and how did it spread?

Just curious as I'll be living up the hill from the shop.

Don used to work for Acura of Serramonte which is a shitty place. He opened his own shop and emailed the original NSX mailing list back in the 1990's to advertise his services. He takes care of all my NSXs and my wife's Ferrari.
J/K. My wife drives a CRV.
Steve

Back