• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Home theater remote control...

In the past few months I've bought a new TV, DVD, and today a new home theater a/v receiver. Now I need a new universal remote. Knowing that a lot of you guys probably have a lot of experience in this arena I need some advice. I'm looking for a remote that I can download info on and program easily. I'm not sure if I want one of those tablet screen style remotes, or something more classic in design. I have a Marantz remote, but reprogramming it is going to be a pita and I stopped using it a few years ago because of it's complexity. Any guidance is greatly appreciated because currently I'm juggling around five remotes. :mad:

-TIA.

I use Universal Remote MX 850 at home. It's a great remote and I've been really happy with it since I used it more than a year ago.

The remote needs to be programmed throught a PC and the software is quite powerful. The macro capability's great and I use it quite a lot.

Another option that I looked at before getting this one was the Logitech Harmony remotes

I was looking at Harmony 880 then, I really liked the fact that it uses rechargable battery and comes with a charging cradle. One big complain that I saw from the forums was that the software's kind of sluggish because it's all internet based.

Try looking at the reviews and user comments on Remote Central. They have reviews and user created files for different remote controls.

Cheers .. Gus

Last edited:
bsudiro gave good advice. Remote Central is a great website for remotes. I especially found the Clicker Picker helpful when I was looking for my first universal remote. The Clicker Picker directed me to the Universal Remote MX-500, which I've been very happy with for the last 4 years.

The one thing that detered me from buying a screen remote is not being able to find the right spot to push in the dark. I like to have buttons so I can use theremote without looking at it.

How about the Sony RM-AV2500? I had the older version...

B0001R05XY.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

From what I have experienced, with universal remotes, you can't utilize all the options that your TV/DVD/Whatever comes with. Its like putting in an aftermarket steering wheel, You won't have cruise control....

Hmm .. I have to respectfully disagree about 'universal remotes' not being able to use all the features of the original remotes.

A lot of the 'proper' universal remotes like the ones from URC, Logitech, Phillips, Marantz are programmable using the PC. You an either get the database for a certain remote or use it in 'learning' mode. This way, you can get the best of both worlds.

I've used URC MX-850 for more than a year now, and it replaced 5-6 remote controls and I've been very happy with it. The CD-player remote codes was not in the database, but using the learning feature, I could get all the remote buttons programmed in the MX-850.

I agreed with steveny about the screen remote. With hard buttons, it's easier to use in the dark without using the backlight too much.

Cheers .. Gus

Great advice! I want to reiterate that RemoteCentral is your best bet for information.

As Gus pointed out, the higher end universals are learning remotes and also typically have "good" databases with full coverage of all buttons. Harmony/Logitech has the largest database (customer driven) with over 100,000 devices. You'll definitely want to do some reading up on the different offerings though. The 880 is good, but has its own quirks and issues. You can also find some of their earlier remotes which you may actually prefer in terms of ergonomics and button layout. They don't come with the flashy colour screen, but it's largely useless (competely underutilized) on the 880 anyways.

There are a lot of good options out there, and if you're like many people, you'll want tactile feedback and not touchscreen only such as on the pronto's.

Our new home entertainment installer is selling us on the mx-850 as well.

I'm in the market for one with both RF and IR support (RF for IR extending through walls) and am considering the Logitech Harmony remotes...I was also recommended one from Marantz. I like the idea of customizable graphic icons since the preset ones on my older Sony LCD touch pad remote don't cover enough of the more obscure buttons...and I like the idea of downloadable upgrades if this adds support for more model specific features.

I'm not such a fan of the LCD touchpads since they gather fingerprints easily...I was glad that the basic navigation buttons became REAL buttons on the newer Sony remote you pictured.

Of course, now I'd like to find one that has Bluetooth as well...that would work with the PS3. There may not be one now, but I imagine that Logitech is working on one...

Thanks for the replies. Most everything that I researched was confirmed by everyone here. Man are you guys dead on when it comes to this stuff. :smile: I really wanted to get a the Phillips remote, but for $1k I can't justify being that lazy. So, I decided to reprogram my Marantz RC2000 remote and it's working great. But holy crap, it took a long time and I haven't even set up the Macro functions yet. I'd probably understand the French instructions better than the English instructions as that's how confusing it was. :mad:

Thanks again. :smile:

Has onyone checked out the new Harmony 1000 remote? It looks like it will be out in January or February. I have the original Pronto from seven or eight years ago. I tried the latest color Pronto a couple years ago and it sucked. It would not learn any of my remotes. Once I did get a couple learned somehow it would lose them. I sent it back and kept old reliable.

The Harmony 1000 looks like a nice replacement.

I have been using the mx-850 now for 1 wk.it is very intuitive ,relatively simple,and well lit.My only complaints would be its rather large size,and the illumination switch is off on the side.I also did not do the programing.

We had a top of the line Pronto for 2 years, worked well but after a while just got tired of it. We're now using one of the Harmony Remotes, and while we had to pay someone to set up our Pronto, the Harmony was easily done connecting it to my laptop. Easy functionality, great quality.

I ended up buying a Harmony 890 on an impulse last week and it's a nice unit. It was very easy to program, and it does everything that I need a remote to do. It's great not having to juggle between remotes just to set the volume. :biggrin:

Back