• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda: Back in the saddle again

Well..

It seems that Honda might be finding its mojo! With the introduction of Honda back into Formula One it looks like Honda may actually start to produce REAL sports cars again and putting performance back at the forefront. We all know the introduction of the new NSX and the sporty TLX and now word on a new 280hp turbo Civic Type R. http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/honda-civic-r-concept-revealed-2014-02-11due in model year 2015

This harkens back to the good ole days of the late eighties early nineties, hell I might just bring back the mullet and dust off my records!

It maybe a little early yet to start getting really excited, but Honda seems to be stepping in the right direction again.

Last edited:
Why do I have a funny feeling it's not coming anywhere near U.S. soil, and that we'd get some crappy watered down civic Si with, wait for it..............209 bhp. ..Or something along those lines. I'm not a big Civic fan, I think they're about as beautiful as a cold-war era eastern European low-income housing development, and the the Si's lack of noticeable power gains throughout the last decade has made me little more than scoff at it, but at least they're not killing it off.

Wish they could woo my my "cheap sports car with moderate performance" side a little better than what they did with the CRZ.

I'd rock a CTR turbo in a second. And I hope beyond hope that Honda brings it to the US.

But it won't happen. And it's frustrating beyond frustrating.

It would be nice if they could bring back the Prelude and make it rear wheel drive and compete with the BRZ. The Toyota/Subaru is what the Prelude always should have been.

I'd rock a CTR turbo in a second. And I hope beyond hope that Honda brings it to the US.

But it won't happen. And it's frustrating beyond frustrating.

Mark my words - if they release it it will be the first car I ever buy brand new. I will be at Honda the first day I can ordering one.

Unfortunately, I too, fear they won't be releasing it in North America. Sad, really, as I would love to own one. So until then I will keep my eyes peeled for an AP1 for the wife instead...

I wonder what reasoning--I mean logical/financial/social reasoning--is behind Honda not releasing almost any Type-R version car here in the U.S.(specifically cars like the Civic R, a car that is still affordable to most and performs well, has a large underground following)? IIRC, the Integra is the only "R" car we have ever received....correct?

Why? Kind of peculiar...

I have always wondered the same thing. I have never understood Honda's aversion to their sales here in North America.

It could be cultural arrogance, a conviction that stupid Americans with their lifted pickups and air cooled Harleys just don't understand a high strung race bred engine like Honda used to make. I think it is the same attitude that kept us from getting a proper Silvia with an SR20 turbo.

I'm crossing my fingers. I'm still waiting for the CRZ to be designated the CRX Si with a 200hp non-hybrid engine. I'd buy one tomorrow!!!!

I have always wondered the same thing. I have never understood Honda's aversion to their sales here in North America.

To some extent there were some circumstances that might have contributed. Although the 500 or so 97 Integra Type Rs sold out pretty easily, they brought in too many (1100) 98 models and by the time we got to the yellow and black 2000 and 2001 models, the dealers were having some trouble getting rid of them, or at least that was the talk at the time. There were also people who were answering Honda survey questions by suggesting things like "I want A/C standard" and "a sunroof would be nice." Finally, the super high theft rate was a huge concern for owners. The Integra was already the #1 per capita stolen vehicle of the time, because of hybrids and parts compatibility with the Civic. I have never seen any data, but I can only imagine the Type R's theft problem was only magnified. It kind of ruined the ownership experience when people tried to follow you home in order to know where to steal from.

Last edited:
I'm sort of sitting by and waiting to see what the so-called "Baby NSX" turns out to be. If it turns out to be.

Is that still around? I have heard anymore news ref: "baby NSX" in a long time!

I searched for a little while last week and all I found was a few initial press releases from a couple of years ago.
The "baby" might be still-born.

Well..

It seems that Honda might be finding its mojo! With the introduction of Honda back into Formula One it looks like Honda may actually start to produce REAL sports cars again and putting performance back at the forefront. We all know the introduction of the new NSX and the sporty TLX and now word on a new 280hp turbo Civic Type R. http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/honda-civic-r-concept-revealed-2014-02-11due in model year 2015

This harkens back to the good ole days of the late eighties early nineties, hell I might just bring back the mullet and dust off my records!

It maybe a little early yet to start getting really excited, but Honda seems to be stepping in the right direction again.

Whoo-hoo! :biggrin:

Back