• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda NSX prototype runs the ‘ring in 7:37

Spy Shots: Honda NSX prototype runs the ‘ring in 7:37, equipped with paddle shift gearbox
Posted on Thursday 19 June 2008

Update: Our spy photographers have been busy tracking the new Honda NSX prototype at Germany’s Nurburgring test track and have managed to hand time the car with some stunning results. In this early phase of testing the new NSX is already doing lap times of 7:38m, not far off some of the best official times ever recorded at the circuit. The time was achieved with some traffic on the circuit, but it’s not possible to judge how it affected the run.

The photographers also managed to get a shot of the interior. There’s not much to see, but one thing is certain, this car is being operated with paddle shifters located behind the steering wheel. With an expected 2010-2011 release date, the new NSX is therefore likely to be powered by a dual-clutch gearbox.

Original: Honda’s NSX replacement has had several false starts, with the company scrapping one of its original designs – the Acura Advanced Sports Car Concept - after the public’s largely negative response to the 2007 Detroit show car. Designers were sent back to the drawing board and Honda was forced to abandon its original plans to show the car at the following Tokyo Motor Show.

Despite the drawbacks, engineers were able to continue testing the new mechanicals for the car by using a modified S2000 body and we saw the first test-mules running laps at the Nurburgring by the middle of last year. The latest round of spy shots suggest Honda has come up with a final design for the car, as seen by this latest prototype once again spotted at the Nurburgring in Germany that’s very likely to be the replacement for the legendary Honda supercar.

Speaking with MotorAuthority back in April, Acura spokesman Mike Spencer confirmed several details of the upcoming NSX replacement. The car will definitely be powered by a V10 engine, and it will be equipped with the company’s SH-AWD system. The lack of intakes at the rear of the car also confirms the NSX replacement will feature a front-engine configuration, as opposed to the mid-engine layout of the former.

There has been some discussion of a possible four-wheel steering system (4WS) for the NSX replacement, but Spencer suggested the SH-AWD system would achieve most of the benefits of 4WS without the added complexity.

The NSX replacement is now expected to arrive sometime in 2010 as a 2011 model with final pricing expected to be revealed closer to the car’s release date.

2011_Honda_NSX_spy_shots_MotorAuthority_003.jpg

2011_Honda_NSX_spy_shots_MotorAuthority_004.jpg

2011_Honda_NSX_spy_shots_MotorAuthority_006.jpg

Sweet those paddles look like the ones on my Fit! :tongue: :biggrin:

Ah, I wanted a better angle of the dash to see where this thing redlines at. Still, that time is insane considering how early in the tuning process it is.

Ah, I wanted a better angle of the dash to see where this thing redlines at. Still, that time is insane considering how early in the tuning process it is.

It reaches 6K at the top, so it should end maybe at 9 or 10K, and I suspect a 8 or 8.5K redline, since honda likes to leave a 1 - 1.5K redline area.

after looking at it some more its starting to grow on me...still not an NSX to me, but I am starting to like it. I hope Honda comes out with an Actual NSX one day though.

can someone who's good at PS play with the pic to make the car all one color so we can get a better sense of what it really looks like without the distracting design of the cammo?

can someone who's good at PS play with the pic to make the car all one color so we can get a better sense of what it really looks like without the distracting design of the cammo?

Here's one rendition that I came across....

NSX_Prototype.jpg

Now its looking like a supra-viper coupe love child:frown:

Astro Martin with a Honda badge.

Good call. Actually in one of the older press releases from a while back I think that's the market they were going after to begin with. Didn't seem like they had any desire to go down the Ferrari route like they did with the NSX.

7:37 is a pretty damn good time. I am impressed. Of course, if the GTR is still nearly 10 seconds faster and only costs $75K, Honda has its work cut out for it.

The article says there was light traffic...and it's a prototype car...covered in camo (weight/drag). I'm impressed by the performance. I don't think it should be called the NSX if it's got an engine up front, but it seems like a worthy halo car so far.

Here's one rendition that I came across....

NSX_Prototype.jpg

Decent looking car. It aint NSX gorgeous but at least it's fast! I dont know if i like the 6 series trunk lid tho.

I kinda like it, but It doesn't stand out. nothing special looks like a Auston Martin/Porsche/everything. Doesn't have anything to say its an Acura. Like I said above, I hope Honda eventually releases a next Gen NSX in the future.

I kinda like it, but It doesn't stand out. nothing special looks like a Auston Martin/Porsche/everything. Doesn't have anything to say its an Acura. Like I said above, I hope Honda eventually releases a next Gen NSX in the future.

Geez, it's covered in camo. How about we wait to see the actual car before commenting on its looks?

Sweet those paddles look like the ones on my Fit! :tongue: :biggrin:

They probably are. (^_^)

Still, I like the silhouette so far. Would probably own one if the specs and price are right. I just disagree with calling it an NSX. Retire the name and come up with something new. Wanna stand out, Honda? I dare you to choose an actual name and not letter/number nomenclatures.

If it does the ring in under 7 minutes, i still dont't care for it.
I choose the nsx coz its exotic, that thing is not exotic.

Back