• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda Prelude?

I just impulse-purchased and drove a stock 2001 Honda Prelude for the first time. I heard many amazing things about the Prelude in the past, but wow!!

Its seating position, the panoramic view out through the huge front windshield, and the sloped dashboard gave me the similar driving position to the NSX. And its long hood, engine note, clutch & gas pedal feel gave me the similar forward engagement to the S2000. As a result, it almost feels as if the Prelude is somewhere between the NSX and the S2000. Its suspension is firm, yet comfortable on a long drive. For a FWD car, it handles remarkably and is glued to the road. All the switches (even the turn signal lever) are intuitive and delightful to touch.

I am still not fully sold on its exterior design (I like the '88-'91 flip-up 3rd gen design more), but aside from that, I am really liking this car a lot. It feels simple and special at the same time - hard to find from modern cars.

I don't know much about the Prelude, and am excited to learn more in the coming months.

2001_honda_prelude_16058399018cbe183b9IMG_4229.jpeg

wow looks to be in great condition...how did you find it?

Thank you so much. I found it via BringATrailer. It had just under 6K miles when I picked it up. I didn't even plan on getting one (and honestly did not think that I would even win because I'd always lost out on bids in the past)...

Now, it beyond exceeded my expectation. Already a great stablemate to the NSX!

Congratulations on your purchase. Welcome to Prelude land. You picked up a very clean example.

I had a Prelude for many years. Mine was red and also a base model similar to yours.

I didn't read all the comments in BaT. Perhaps someone has mentioned the rims. The base Prelude was unique in that they were directional. Therefore, the left set were different from the right. Whenever I had my directional tires installed, I always had to remind the installer which rims were right and left. In the photos, looks like they were flipped.

The engine is fabulous, which you probably already noticed. The motor was bullet proof. You should have many years of enjoyment. I never had any problems and I drove my car hard.
I autocrossed mine for awhile. It's a big car for the course, but I had loads of fun. Honestly, it is more of a GT car.

For the fuel gauge, the needle will drop quickly from full. Once it reaches 3/4, it will start to slow its rate. So, don't panic if you notice it during your first fill up.

...and the sloped dashboard gave me the similar driving position to the NSX...
Yes, I agree with you on the interior design. The NSX had a good formula and it worked well here to give a small coupe a much larger interior feel.
For mine, I had the OEM CF trim package. It covered the radio trim, center console, and window trims on the doors. I like how it looked and since they were factory parts, they fit perfectly. I had a spare radio trim, but unfortunately gave it away many years ago.

...I am still not fully sold on its exterior design...
For the exterior, the headlights bothered me for awhile. It just looked a little too happy. Some people opened them and painted the surrounds black.
Not sure if you can find it anymore, but if you get the OEM front lip kit, it makes the front look a lot better. Right now, the bottom line is thin compared to the middle (where the license plate goes). By adding the front ODM painted lip, it makes the front more uniform. Plus, if you can find the JDM fog lights, which sit under the turn signals, it also helps balances the front. I think they make aftermarket JDM fog lights. (The USDM fog lights were just small round circles)

You can also paint the bottom side and rear skirts to match the SH model.

The above were just my suggestions. What are your plans for the car?

Last edited:
One more note, I've always felt that the last generation Prelude was not that appreciated. It was during the time where the Integra Type R took all the glory. Plus, we also had the Supra, RX7, 3000GT, 300ZX, 240SX, and of course NSX taking up the covers of our favorite magazines. I did remember people stealing Preludes for the H22 motor. Once the RSX came to market, the thieves moved their attention to the K series.

It is funny to see Preludes pick up some steam now that it is older. Your example being unmodified is a rare fine. Well done.

BaT is a dangerous website to browse when you have cash sitting around. Congrats! I've never sat in a Prelude but there are a few here in the northeast. They always stick out by design and I think that is very unique. The one you picked up looks super mint.

[MENTION=32903]natcc99[/MENTION] thank you so much for the super thorough feedback and help. Yes - the wheel directions have been changed and corrected! Excellent eyes! And really appreciate all the suggestions. I am currently planning to keep the car stock and appreciate it as it-is, but over time, I will start making some adjustments (Honda OEM parts).

BaT is a dangerous website to browse when you have cash sitting around. Congrats! I've never sat in a Prelude but there are a few here in the northeast. They always stick out by design and I think that is very unique. The one you picked up looks super mint.

Couldn't agree more. I am trying to stay away from that site. Thank you for your kind words.

@natcc99 thank you so much for the super thorough feedback and help. Yes - the wheel directions have been changed and corrected! Excellent eyes! And really appreciate all the suggestions. I am currently planning to keep the car stock and appreciate it as it-is, but over time, I will start making some adjustments (Honda OEM parts).

No problem. It was nice to change topics by talking about another car....and pull up some old memories.

Good call on keeping it stock for now.

It has been ages since I have looked for Prelude parts. To get OEM accessories parts, you might have to find a warehouse that has them deeply hidden on their shelves. Otherwise, you might have to go into the use market. Things you are very familiar with from NSX ownership. :D

For reference, here was mine. It has a photo of the OEM front lip that I was mentioning.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-K7IdvHCNI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited:
No problem. It was nice to change topics by talking about another car....and pull up some old memories.

Good call on keeping it stock for now.

It has been ages since I have looked for Prelude parts. To get OEM accessories parts, you might have to find a warehouse that has them deeply hidden on their shelves. Otherwise, you might have to go into the use market. Things you are very familiar with from NSX ownership. :D

For reference, here was mine. It has a photo of the OEM front lip that I was mentioning.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-K7IdvHCNI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Thank you. I am already experiencing the lack of availability of parts issue... but NSX ownership has trained & prepared me well for it.

Your ex-Prelude is stunning.

Looks like a nice one, I thought it was well bought. Any plans for the Type SH wheels and aero bits?

Looks like a nice one, I thought it was well bought. Any plans for the Type SH wheels and aero bits?

Thank you for your kind words. Yes - it turns out that the seller was one of those underpromise and overdeliver type person. And the car was much better in person than described on the web - just minor things.

I don't have any plans, yet - just keeping it all as-is for now... but I'm sure things always change down the road :tongue:

Honda Prelude; some memories in our family.

In 1985 my Dad imported an EU-spec 2nd Gen Prelude which had a different headlight beam pattern and darker taillights. I recall my brother and I telling him it was rated as one of the best handling cars according to one of the car magazines. Here's the Car & Driver archived article: https://www.caranddriver.com/review...rsche-911-and-six-others-archived-comparison/

In 1989 my brother acquired a 3rd Gen Prelude 4WS. When parallel parking it was odd feeling the rear end swing into the spot.

In 1993 I picked up a 4th Gen Prelude VTEC. VTEC yoooo! My first ever >$20k car.

Reminiscing...

Hopefully when the time comes for changes, the parts do not have a "prelude-tax" haha

Prelude Tax? In that case, I may need to start buying up the parts. They feel so much more affordable than the NSX parts at the moment. :redface:

Honda Prelude; some memories in our family.

That's fantastic. VTEC does feel a lot more pronounced in the Prelude than in the NSX and the S2000!

i had a 5th gen prelude before my NSX (and a 2nd gen prelude before that)

preludeonline.com is a great source of info, and where my forum handle was born! lol

i had a 5th gen prelude before my NSX (and a 2nd gen prelude before that)

preludeonline.com is a great source of info, and where my forum handle was born! lol

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Will check it out!

Back