• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

hoping to purchase an NSX

Looking to purchase an NSX soon . Are there any maintenance issues with the automatics compared to the manuals apart from the obvious transmission differences ? Can anyone recommend a good NSX mechanic in the Washington D.C. area ?. Thanks in advance . Looking forward to becoming an NSX owner very soon . Also I need to find a reputable company that performs pre- purchase inspections nation wide .

Last edited:
Looking to purchase an NSX soon . Are there any maintenance issues with the automatics compared to the manuals apart from the obvious transmission differences ? Can anyone recommend a good NSX mechanic in the Washington D.C. area ?. Thanks in advance . Looking forward to becoming an NSX owner very soon . Also I need to find a reputable company that performs pre- purchase inspections nation wide .

No such thing as a 'nation wide' company that can perform a PPI. Whenever you find a car you're interested in, you'll have to find a shop near that location to perform the PPI. I'd recommend asking in the regional forums.

Good luck, and be sure that you're OK with an automatic if that's the direction you choose to go. Most people that purchase an NSX would not be happy with that choice.

No such thing as a 'nation wide' company that can perform a PPI.
Actually, that's not true; there are nationwide companies that perform pre-purchase inspections on used cars (e.g. CARCHEX, Car Inspectors, pre-checkedautos.com). However, these places will inspect an NSX the same way they would inspect any other car. They will check things like overall exterior and interior condition, evidence of accidents, wear on the brake pads and tires, etc. They will not be familiar with, or looking for, NSX-specific problems (e.g. checking the transmission serial number for the snap ring range). They might be your best bet if you are considering a car for sale in a smaller town or rural area. In a big city, you may be better off looking here on NSXprime for a recommendation for the closest place that does a lot of NSX service work.

Ken I had no idea and I was about to arrange a PPI for my NSX replacement. I was just waiting for the shop to open. I will definitely check these guys out, they appear to be just what I need since there is nothing specific really about a G35 that I need to worry about.

Actually after reading they don't even put the car on a lift I think I'll stick with the independent shop.

Actually after reading they don't even put the car on a lift I think I'll stick with the independent shop.
I was checking out their websites at the same time I posted. I updated the post to add the names of three specific places. The third one listed notes on their website that "WE ARE THE ONLY NATIONAL SERVICE WHO LIFTS EVERY VEHICLE". You might not have seen that since I may have finished my update shortly after your post.

I have not used any of these services (but I think I recall seeing a feature about one of them on a television program, probably MotorWeek).

Thanks for the PM. I feel pretty comfortable with the place I just spoke with. They have a bunch of what sound to be top notch Infiniti guys and came highly recommended from a local Infiniti owner.

We have a pretty good core group of hardcore NSX owners & enthusiasts in the DC metro area. I will take my NSX to any one of these guys over a dealership any day: Charley at The Car Doc on Lee Hwy., Chuck Hamly over at Ultimate in Dulles, Ben Schaeffer at Daisy Imports in Woodbine, MD. All know the NSX inside & out.

I was checking out their websites at the same time I posted. I updated the post to add the names of three specific places. The third one listed notes on their website that "WE ARE THE ONLY NATIONAL SERVICE WHO LIFTS EVERY VEHICLE". You might not have seen that since I may have finished my update shortly after your post.

I have not used any of these services (but I think I recall seeing a feature about one of them on a television program, probably MotorWeek).

FYI, both phone numbers listed on the third website have been disconnected.

Unless you are buying an NSX for heavy traffic or because of a really good reason, I say get the manual shift. I have both, and the difference is night and day.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a manual . I was curious about the auto because my wife can't drive stick but she doesn't care so I'm loooking for the best available car I can get with as few mods as possible . Would really like a 95 or up . I'm willing to pay for the right one .

Back