• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How long does it normally take to ship a dali clutch?

Update on my clutch situation:

Acura of Portland disassmebled my clutch and found that th one of the springs on the top disc had popped out and crunched up quite a bit of stuff inside. Mark Johnson told me that there arent any other people who have had failures like this...BUT Centerforce tells me that they've seen quite a few NSX's with this problem. Apparently the stock clutch is quite notorious for having the springs pop out, and since the Dali Clutch is a re-manufactured stock clutch, they are just as prone to this problem (So Says centerforce). I believe that I will end up having to have Centerforce Re-manufacture my clutch for $500.00 or so dollars.
I dont know how anyone else feels, but I dont think it is very good to sell a "high Performance" Clutch that is notorious for popping out a spring and ruining the clutch after 15K miles.
Should I try to get Centerforce to pay for this? or Dali? Or should I just shut up and pay for it myself?

Remanufactured stock clutches are more prone to spring failures than new stock units. That is the nature of a remanufactured clutch.

As to whether it's a good idea or not - it's all a matter of money. Spring failures are not terribly common but they are certainly not unheard of either. If money is no object, don't remanufacture. But when you consider that on average you'll save money remanufacturing it makes sense overall.

I would not really recommend re-remanufacturing it, but Centerforce may have a different opinion.

Isn't there some type of warranty involved? If there is, then the dealer you bought it from (Dali) should honor it. They will in turn get reimbursed from the company who makes it.

Sorry, guess I still don't get it? Lud are you saying a stock clutch is better than a Dali clutch (ie: remanufactured)?

Also, I just got the invoice from the dealer for the new clutch parts: $502. The Dali Clutch is listed at $1250 (with a lightweight flywheel). I assumed the Difference in price was because the Dali was a better clutch setup (lightweight, better clutch surface material)?

I'm still waiting to see if the Dali clutch arrives (I still have not seen either the dealer or dali clutch). Whichever one arrives first I will probably use because I am basicly clutch-less now. But I would like to get a feel for he differences.

hg

I finally got my dali clutch & 7lb flywheel installed... and i love it! much better than the stock... great combo with the short gears I had put in also... Still in the break-in period right now, but I'll let you guys know if i have any problems.... its all gravy right now!

-Electro

I am not saying one is better than the other. There are tradeoffs with either. The Dali clutch reportedly grabs better than stock (I don't think I have driven one personally). The stock clutch is all new parts. Al the aftermarket NSX clutches I've run across are remanufactured OEM cores except Comptech - the Comptech PowerGrip units are all new parts. There may be some other low-volume specialty clutches for the NSX that are new parts but they are not popular enough that I've run into any.

Unless Acura recently cut the price drastically, the parts cost on a full stock clutch replacement is way over $502 (at dealer cost, nevermind markup). The parts cost on the Dali clutch with the flywheel was in line with the OEM clutch last time I checked.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 15 May 2001).]

So basically, what you are saying is that higher performance re-manufactured clutch=less reliable correct?

If so, shouldnt there at least be SOME sort of guarantee as to its reliability, even it is significantly less than OEM?

Lud, Electro: thanks for the feedback. I did get email from Mark J. today stating that he is still having vendor problems but it is on the way. I feel better about the Dali clutch now so I will wait for it to arrive.

$502 for a stock clutch seems way low to me too. I have a feeling they are doing the dealer bait-and-switch (maybe an integra clutch?).

hg.

Back