• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

how low will the NSX depreciate till? when will it stop?

Up here in Canada, I've seen typically around 15-20 used NSXes for sale across the country at any one time in the autotrader internet/publications during the summer months. I'd guess the entire summer sees ~30 different cars. Many current listings have been on there for well over a year, meaning they didn't sell last summer either.

Out of those, almost all are '91-93's. There is the odd '94's (which always seem to ask too much compared to a '91-93 for the relative value of the wheels), once in a while a 95/96, and virtually zero 97+'s. I have seen only one 97+ (excl a 2002 which appears unsold) advertised in the last 3 summers. Prices on the 91's are typically at asking prices of between $45-50K for decent condition average-mileage cars. Cars with over ~120k km tend to list in the low 40's and cars with under 70km can list anywhere from 50K to 60K... although there is presently one overly optimistic fellow who's asking $70K for his 35k km stock silver '91. What's worse, about 80% of the listed cars are at dealers, which mean they are actually asking 7 to 12% MORE than advertised to cover federal and provincial taxes.

Even when you convert from Cdn to US dollars at average exchange rates, these are priced higher than similar cars appear list for in the States. My personal take on this is that the supply is limited and to import one from the States adds 7% federal tax and 6% duty when crossing the border. Hence even a US$25K high-mileage '91 will end up costing a Canadian buyer around Cdn$40K to import it (and that's with a very attractive $0.74 Cdn dollar... at $0.65 it becomes a $44K proposition) ...and that says nothing of the travel costs and PITA to fly out and drive/ship it back. I had hoped to import an average '95/96 NSX-T with the recent spike in the Cdn $ vs. the greenback, just coming off a 5-year high, (and it was absolutely in the toilet less than a year ago). Unfortunately it still adds up to around ~$60K. :eek:

So on the whole I'd say they aren't depreciating up here. I hope this trend continues now that I've finally made the committment to buy one! (C'mon 2F2F...jack up those prices now just like with Supras three years ago!) :D

i think the fact that there are only few NSX in the first place and the numbers will go down as time pass by will keep the price of NSXs in the 20s or more..

of course it will be a collectors item.. just look at the history of racing, NSX dominated for quite sometime... not real sure how they are doing now...

ill get my hands on one of em and will never let it go..

Re: I'll get my hands on one of 'em

Ya Mon! I be workin' on dat too!

From the research I have done I am coming to believe the NSX is one heck of an automobile. Hand made. All aluminum. Quality of construction as reported by owners is astounding. Rare = will hold it's value. Mid-engine. I am selling 2 Porsches in the interest of getting an NSX as a weekend toy and something sensible for a daily driver.

My '87 911 Cabriolet is up on EBay as we speak. The '01 Boxster is next. I'll be there with you all in a few! A few weeks or a few months! :)

BB said:
I don't think you'll ever have to worry about that. Two reasons:

1. Once a car like the NSX gets down in the range of $25-30k all kinds of buyers come out of the woodwork saying, "hey even I'd buy one at that price!" Combine that with the limited number of NSX's available and I don't think you'll ever see the prices go much below $25k.

2. There's simply so few NSX's out there that even if I'm wrong on point 1 and the ricers were eventually able to afford it, you'd likely never know it since there's so few NSX's on the road. It's not like you'd suddenly see riced out NSX's on every corner like you do Civics and Integras. It just ain't going to happen.

I think that while the production #'s make the NSX rare, if they became affordable, ricers would have no problems finding & acquiring them, where there's a will, there's a way--just look at all the NSXs for sale on this forum alone & autotrader.

My contention is that it's not the price point that will keep "ricers" from owning an NSX, heck we all know that some of these supped up Civics are not only equivalent in price to an NSX, but many other exotics. The difference does not lie in price. A $35K '91 is simply not as affordable to the average "ricer" as a $35K 2003 Subaru STI WRX or Mitsubishi Evolution. The difference is in the age & insurance rating of the vehicle, which has everything to do w/ the ability of those who don't have a lump sum of cash (I would say the majority) to FINANCE & insure an NSX. The reason why so many "kids" are able to afford brand new $30K+ cars is because it is far easier to find affordable financing for newer cars often w/ 0% & no $ down incentives. Try finding a loan for a '91 NSX, you've got to have A+ credit, 10-20% down, and even then you'd have to go to a "boutique" bank like JJ Best, who will finance anything as long as it's exotic & you've got solid credit, but the catch is a whopping minimum 10.9% rate! Or you might be able to go thru an online bank like People First, which will give you a reasonable rate, but again, you have to have rock solid credit & substantial income, which many do not have. Banks just aren't willing to lien a decade+ old car as collateral in case of default.

Insurance is another story, you can imagine the age/ driving record demographics of the average "ricer" that would make insuring an NSX cost prohibitive vs. a Civic that is later modded w/ $20K worth of upgrades to make it blow an NSX away in the 1/4!

I don't know how many times I've had a youngan drool over my NSX, ask me (w/ the misperception that surely it must be an $80K exotic) how much I paid for it. I tell them about $35K and they all shake their heads wishing they had an NSX, meanwhile they're thinking, damn my IS 300, 350Z, etc. costs that much! In other words, a relatively inexpensive price does not necessarily make a car relatively affordable.

The Market

I have to agree with Dougman...I have been looking for quite some time (nearly a year) for my NSX...I am very picky...I admit it...since it is my hard earned money and I plan on keeping this for a while...

Recently, in the past six months or so, since the economy has really gotten uncertain...the market has become really soft...way more sellers than buyers...you ought to be on my side of the phone to hear the folks with their prized possession feeling like their investment is losing value...I feel for them...but, no one individual controls the market...Also, I see no correlation to year of the ones that are selling...mostly they are selling because the sellers recognize a soft market and are more flexible...

So, my observation is that it is a great time to be a buyer...and if you don't have to sell, wait a bit for the economy to turn around...

Still looking for the perfect car...Mike

mmmikemo said:
I have to agree with Dougman...I have been looking for quite some time (nearly a year) for my NSX...I am very picky...I admit it...since it is my hard earned money and I plan on keeping this for a while...

Recently, in the past six months or so, since the economy has really gotten uncertain...the market has become really soft...

I think it's pretty ironic to hear you say you have been in the market for almost a year and at the same time say how soft you think the market is... If the market is so soft, why haven't you found one after all these months?

This strikes me as interesting because almost everyone I ever hear say they think the market is soft have, like you, been looking to buy for many months and still haven't found one. I find it hard to reconcile those two realities.

I know of several mint cars in almost every color combo that have been sold during the last several months, so it's not a lack of available cars unless you are looking for some really rare combo like silver/ivory or purple with automatic transmission or similar.

I was down at a local "high-end" dealer yesterday and they had a '92 red/ivory with 68,000 miles and a new motor. It was in snap ring range, and the clutch had just been replaced (driven very hard to need a new engine and a new clutch?) It looked to be in decent condition, and I told them that I may be able to post it for sale on NSXPrime for them if they were interested. It's not a common occurence to see NSXs for sale here in Albuquerque, so I thought that maybe a little national exposure could set this car up with a good owner. I just about fell flat on my face when they told me that they wanted $37,000 for it! Even with some negotiation, I don't see them settling for less than 34k for the car. Personally, I find that to be a bit high for this car. If it had been a one-owner car with less than 30,000 miles and no previous engine problems, then maybe this car might make par for the course price-wise. As it stands, this seems like a rip-off. Opinions?

Chuck

When I checked the price grids in the FAQ with the definitions of the conditions (a-f), it wasn't clear to me how you'd classify a higher mileage (90K+) that had a good service history and had had the major items replaced (clutch, timing belt, water pump, etc). These NSXs seem to scare most people away and therefore lower the selling price but if the miles are mostly highway, I would suggest that they could be a very good deal for those who go to the effort to check them out. I bought mine 18 mos ago for $29K with a lot of highway miles in so Cal and with the 90K service and clutch most recently done by Mark Basch and it hasn't given me any trouble (now at 108K+ .. more highway miles)

market value all cars

I just bought an NSX and I checked an NSX area that went over all the issues you are discussing for prospective purchasers. I am also a claims adjuster....First. in this type of market-especially the older NSX's, stock vehicle with low mileage is probably the exception and so can bring a lot more than a high mileage vehicle with mods. Just look at all the people trying to find OEM parts for their early NSX's ---I have a 1948 FL Harley Davidson---a stock front fender in bad condition will go for 800 plus because people want to go back to stock--that's where the value is....and it's hard to find good stock parts. So the low mileage 91 that's all stock may go for over 40k but not if it's been heavily modified and has high mileage----it could still be an A car but it's not going to bring the same dollars. There was a recent ebay auction of a 91 that basically was new!!!! There were bids well into the 30's as I recollect....likely went for over 40k Jim Rehner

ISONSX said:
I think we simply have a different opinion of what "average" is defined as. If we are talking about 70K-100K mile cars, then I would tend more to agree than disagree with you. However, I tend to look at exotic cars like the NSX as second or third cars and expect the mileage to be low.

Average mileage on an NSX is 5,000 miles per year.

An NSX with 70K miles on it has above-average mileage (although if it's a '91, it's only slightly above average).

Originally posted by Viper Driver
I was down at a local "high-end" dealer yesterday and they had a '92 red/ivory with 68,000 miles and a new motor. It was in snap ring range, and the clutch had just been replaced (driven very hard to need a new engine and a new clutch?) It looked to be in decent condition, and I told them that I may be able to post it for sale on NSXPrime for them if they were interested. It's not a common occurence to see NSXs for sale here in Albuquerque, so I thought that maybe a little national exposure could set this car up with a good owner. I just about fell flat on my face when they told me that they wanted $37,000 for it! Even with some negotiation, I don't see them settling for less than 34k for the car. Personally, I find that to be a bit high for this car. If it had been a one-owner car with less than 30,000 miles and no previous engine problems, then maybe this car might make par for the course price-wise. As it stands, this seems like a rip-off. Opinions?

My opinions:

1. Even if an NSX is driven hard, it should not need a new engine. The only NSXs that I am aware of requiring new engines have either (a) been driven without changing oil - EVER, or (b) had oil starvation after driving for an extended period on a high-banked oval at high speed. A timing belt failure could also cause an engine failure.

2. A new clutch is not necessarily any indication of hard driving, either. Typically, stock NSX clutches last anywhere from 35K to 50K miles, although there are some whose life is considerably more OR less than that range. If the original clutch was just replaced, then it lasted longer than average. If the second clutch was just replaced, then that's still not all that unusual.

3. At that mileage, the car would have to be absolutely immaculate in every way to justify a $34K price - exterior finish, interior condition, mechanical shape, etc., with no issues and well-documented history. Any less than that, and $34K is still too high.

Originally posted by NSX2398
When I checked the price grids in the FAQ with the definitions of the conditions (a-f), it wasn't clear to me how you'd classify a higher mileage (90K+) that had a good service history and had had the major items replaced (clutch, timing belt, water pump, etc). These NSXs seem to scare most people away and therefore lower the selling price but if the miles are mostly highway, I would suggest that they could be a very good deal for those who go to the effort to check them out. I bought mine 18 mos ago for $29K with a lot of highway miles in so Cal and with the 90K service and clutch most recently done by Mark Basch and it hasn't given me any trouble (now at 108K+ .. more highway miles)

I would consider pricing for such cars to generally fall into the "C" category. Maintenance would be in the A or B category, miles would be in the D category. Typically even on a well-maintained car, higher mileage means wear in some areas (e.g. chips on the front end and windshield, side bolster wear on the seats). Such cars might indeed be considered a good value, depending on what you're looking for and willing to accept. A poorly-maintained low-mileage car might also fall into the "C" category for pricing, and may or may not be a good value as well.

Originally posted by jrehner
stock vehicle with low mileage is probably the exception and so can bring a lot more than a high mileage vehicle with mods.

I don't consider a stock vehicle with low mileage to be the exception; in fact, I think there are many such cars. However, those cars tend to sell quickly, and often change hands privately, so they don't make it to dealers and don't last long on the Internet boards where they are posted for sale.

I agree, though, that modified cars may sell at a discount and/or take longer to sell than cars that are close to stock.

Its funny that the 1/18 scale NSX models are appreciating at an amazing rate now that they are out of production.

Kyosho (White) NSX-R: Originally around $60 now $250.
Kyosho (Yellow NSX-T): Originally around $60 now $100-110
Revell (Red/Black NSX Coupe): Originally $20 now $200

The current NSX needs to go out of production.

William
---------
97 NSX-T
Spa Yellow #211

Three posts from 10 years ago:

What are you talking about?

Prices on '91 and '92 NSXs have hardly changed for the past four to five years.

A completely stock, silver '91 with 17,000 miles just sold on Ebay for $35,100. If you look through the bid history, you'll see that Naples Motorsports bid $35,000 on this very same car. As everyone knows, they are a dealer who plans on reselling the car for more $$$ than they pay. Not only were they willing to pay $35,000for the car, but they would also have to pay to ship it back to their dealership, and would then try to make money on top of their investment.

For instance, I found 3 cases where the owners of mint condtion, all clean title GQ, 91 NSXs (one with 8,000 miles, the other one with 10,000 miles, and another one with 16,000 miles) sold their NSXs for $28k and $27k, $24k, respectively (all sold in a day or two since they posted). When I talked to them on the phone, they obviously had no idea how much their NSXs were worth (in fact, they were quite happy with the money that they got), and they priced their cars based on the book value.

As I look for that ideal white 92-94 coupe, I searched Prime to see if it was appropriate to mention finder's fees. I found this interesting thread from 2002 suggesting prices haven't dropped that much and/or held steady in the $30's and/or actually increased for early NA1's in good condition and low miles. Obviously if prices held numerically steady and not increased with inflation, they've technically declined in value, but it seems one could buy a low mile early NA1 in the $30k's, enjoy it for 10 years and 100k miles, then sell it in the $20k's in 2002, 2012, and maybe in 2022?? Nobody can complain too much with only $15k depreciation over 10 years for a car like an NSX. That's better than I got for my $20k 2002 Accord and an awful lot of enjoyment for just $125/month outside of maintenance costs.

Anyway I got a kick out of seeing these numbers and thought others might too based on seeing frequent threads on pricing and depreciation. The first page of this thread is especially interesting - much of it would fit in and make sense if the dates were increased by 10 years!

And I apologize for the weakly hidden plug for a finder's fee. For my 'wanted ad' here on Prime. For a well-kept GPW/black 92-94 coupe. All or mostly OEM. Um, sorry once again.

That "high end" dealer will get that price because they are a dealer. A well run, clean, respected, trusted, dealer with a good reputation can sell a car for a premium price because they offer security and a store you can always walk into. I mean you and your wife can walk in be treated with respect, safe, clean, and know they treat people right. If you buy from a private party, all bets are off. Street savvy buyers like most of us on prime dont need all those creature comforts, we can take care of our selves. But there is a segment of buyers that will only buy from a reputable dealer, period. And they are quite willing to pay a premium price for the services.

Great perspective on the update Yinzer. Interesting to see how flat the curve has been over time, some feel its trending up for nice low mile cars.

I watched these cars for years, always kind of on the back burner until earlier this year. The prices scarcely changed the whole time.

Last edited:
My car had zero depreciation over 4 years. Just keep it maintained and in great shape and its like money in the bank.

For those that bought a clean NSX within the past few years after the local bottom, I'm thinking we're relatively safe against depreciation. But let's just say that asking prices are not appreciating, they're bubbling!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ml?listingId=367552068&LNX=MYATCALERTSEMLSRCH

One clean looking auto trans '94.

As someone who has bought and sold three NSXs in the last 11 years, I can tell you the market has never been higher or dryer...some people are asking for the moon for their 50k mileage+ 91's $40,000 on up....I've seen salvage titles asking $25,000 on up...the market is drying up and along with the anticipation of the next gen NSX prices are going to continue to climb...I personally have never sold an NSX for less then I paid for one, due to bargain hunting, maintaining and tasteful mods...I don't make a killing, but basically get every penny back after enjoying the hell out the car for 2-3 years...not too many, if any, other cars out there that can claim the same...hopefully I don't ever have to sell my latest addition, but knowing I will never prolly have to sell for less then I paid is always nice... Here is to us all sitting on a gold mine!!!!:tongue:

All of my cars except the NSX, depreciated as soon as I drove it off the car lot. As soon as I drove our NSX off the car lot, I appreciated it. There is more value in driving & owning a fine automobile like a NSX. Thank you Honda

It seems the NSX is locked-in with regards to residuals based on the performance it offers. Only mileage+condition will likely "adjust" the values, moving forward...

'91-'96 NSX/NSX-T (M.T.)
Price-range: $27.5k-$37.5k
Seems about par for vehicles in the "new-car" marketplace with 0-60: 5s, 1/4mi: mid 13's

'97-'05 NSX-T (M.T.)
Price-range: $42.5k-$57.5k
Seems about par for vehicles in the "new-car" marketplace with 0-60: 4.5s, 1/4mi: upper 12's

Obviously there are outliers ($20k NSX'es and $70k NSX'es) due to a myriad of reasons (color-combo, mileage/condition, mods, etc).

Last edited:
This thread is awesome, almost like a time capsule!
It seems to confirm that our little cars have stood the test of time relatively better than their peers.

As awesome as it is to see this thread, and knowing I could sell me car for more than I paid for it (especially since an almost identical condition/mileage/etc sold for much more than I paid just recently) I have no intention of selling anytime soon or ever, really. I absolutely LOVE my NSX and if it were to be sold, it would only be in an absolute worst case financial situation (which I don't intend on putting myself in anytime soon).

Just pick this up in a very atteactive price, lightly mod for power and very tasteful done inside. I will not sell as long as I can, heck, I will never sell it.

I love this car. Been driving it everyday since the weather is gotten really nice here in NY.

I bet the price is going thru the roof soon especially when the new one if it ever comes out.

NSX is an amazing car to drive and to admire. It took me 23 years to make my dream come true and I will never ever let it go.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...NA21693T000162

Back