• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many are driving around with tired speaker (amps)?!

Show of hands for those who need the typical amp repair work done to their ride?

I understand that one of the sponsors will be providing on site parts/repair at NSXPO.
...get in line.
Chris

Thanks to Buzz Off in Tampa I won't be needing those little things anymore. Why continue to put money into those amp/speakers that will just continue to fail in the future? I had MB Quart seperates installed and don't plan on every having the problems again.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

my left door speaker and rear (between seats) are both blown. any group discounts out there?

My left one blew a few months ago, I replaced it with one bought on Ebay. Now the right one buzzes sometimes.
frown.gif

Kenric

92NSX

I have always liked MB Quart speakers. How do the MB's sound in your NSX compared to the stock BOSE? Please rate on a sliding scale from one to ten?

[This message has been edited by NSX2B (edited 07 October 2002).]

my center and driver sides are gone.
sux.

I'm looking for after market replacement instead of crappy Bose.

I had MB Quart in My convertible Z.
sounds ok on it.
dunno if in a NSX.. heheehe

------------------
the art of chasing down my friend's white 3000gt at com. ave

NSXCA # 1690

My driver side amp is out, my question is should I buy one that is used but still working or should I get mine fixed at bose?
If I buy the used amp, what are the chances that that is going to fail also? Is there some type of permanent fix on these things?Has anyone tried davescoolstuff.com?

Paul

[This message has been edited by HPV100 (edited 07 October 2002).]

Maurice, ('92NSX)- I spoke to Andy Buzz earlier today and he mentioned the setup they did on your car. Sounds great! I'm sure you are enjoying having PS-2, DVD and XM radio to choose from for entertainment! Now, get that oil consumption fixed so that you can join us for NSXPO...I want to see this setup in person!

My Driver side speaker started popping right after buying it several months ago! I just pulled it out and forgot about it! Im planning on going aftermarket thou!
Z

Subwoofer went once and the passenger door went just this past week and the driver side is getting real week. Center channel not sure if that damn thing every put sound out. Debating on sending them to the place in Longwood, FL. I have heard they do great work and the warranty you can not beat. But If I am going to continue to have problems I may switch to a component system.

The local shop that has done some NSXs said they would use my factory head unit / CD changer / sub and install a Alpine 5 channel amp with kicker components for $1200 leaving room with the amp for additional options if I ever wanted to expand.

Originally posted by wfo_18:
The local shop that has done some NSXs said they would use my factory head unit / CD changer / sub and install a Alpine 5 channel amp with kicker components for $1200 leaving room with the amp for additional options if I ever wanted to expand.

That makes no sense whatsoever. Especially in an NSX.

The factory sub is horrible beyond words. There are no rear speakers, you don't need a 5 channel amp. Kickers aren't known to be the best separates (not bad, just that many people prefer others....)

Keep shopping for an installer....

--Ed

Not sure my subwoofer was ever operational.
Fortunately, I don't care much about the audio system. Find I like to cruise with the radio off or low enough to hear the motor well.

If your center speaker is out, that means that your subwoofer is out also because the center speaker is powered by the amp in the subwoofer enclosure.

A lot of people have bad subs and did not even know it. I think that this is more of a problem on the older NSXs (due to longer use) and many bought their car used with the sub/center blown and did not even know it. That may be the reason why some people hate the stock speaker system while others(with full fucntioning systems) love it.

Originally posted by BostonNSX:
my center and driver sides are gone.
sux.

I'm looking for after market replacement instead of crappy Bose.

I had MB Quart in My convertible Z.
sounds ok on it.
dunno if in a NSX.. heheehe

------------------
www.acrmotorsports.com / 949-929-8973

[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 08 October 2002).]

If anyone needs a OEM subwoofer with amp. It came out of a 91 this summer and worked fine. Toss me an offer!

I'd like to know what the guys did when they switch out the door speakers with aftermarket while keeping the stock radio....

------------------
Biaggi
92 Red NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

I think it's not the amps that go bad but the 4 chips that are on the crossover. I was given a few of the boards that go bad and the chips on these crossovers get too hot. I have an example of one that has evidence of a small flame. My opinion is to keep the stock head unit and get an amp and separates. MB Quart separates would be my choice and perhaps a Kicker Solobaric for the subwoofer. As for that "center rear" don't even worry about it because it doesn't do anything for the sound, stupid placement too small and too low to hear. I use to do installs for 10 years and for the NSX, I would keep it simple.

Is there any way that I can replace the 4 chips on the crossover (relatively easily) by going to Radioshack or something? Do you have any pics of which chips go bad?

also, if I were to add an aftermarket amp to power the afm door speakers, where would I install the speaker wire to RC jacks for the amp? In the back of the head unit? If so, any suggestions on this application, such as part names, etc...

Thanks,

------------------
Biaggi
92 Red NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

What a coincidence!!! Tomorrow, I'm yanking out the stock stereo and putting in Alpine 6 1/2 components X series and transducers under the seat (thanks Brent Cobb for the Aura experience). I'm running the big V12 Alpine amp and will then do phase two once I find a sub box to replace the bose 4 " Wanna-be sub.
smile.gif
Does anyone have a connection to a fiberglass box for a 10" sub that's available?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Kenji Ligon
91 Red CTSC NSX

As of now replacing the 4 trasistors is a temporary fix...they actually use the whole housing as a heat sink which isn't working. I actually have 2 electronic engineers looking into it. They are having trouble because the schematics aren't available. When I find out more I will make sure to let you all know. I understand that most owners want to keep that factory head unit, I think they just simply look better because it stays with the whole decor of the climate control system.

Biaggi e-mail me at [email protected]

Back