• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How rare is the NSX?

I have seen many many posts as to how rare the NSX is....
I have heard 9000 NSXs total in the us...

can someone help put that in perspective?
How does that compare with Porsches, Ferraris, lambos, etc....

Thanks!

131 NSX's in Australia since 91'. Ferrari sold 80 just last year :)
Bentley has sold more than 80 Continental GT's since beginning of last year.

While in SoBe last week, I saw a Murci, a Diablo, 4 Carrera GT's, an Enzo, 2 Rolls Phantoms, 25 Bentley Continental GT's, tons of Gallardo's, 911's, and F360's. But not a single NSX!!!!! So they are as rare as a Ford GT, or Mclaren SLR!!!!!

I does depend where you are though. We have 5 in my town alone, but all were bought by a group of friends (peer pressure :wink: ) Really where there is one, people see them, go for a ride, or even drive one, and they are hooked! They buy one, and spread the disease, kinda like a plague! I am just glad we don't have that St Louis strain, or I would be totally broke! :eek:

NSXBOX said:
131 NSX's in Australia since 91'. Ferrari sold 80 just last year :)

Is that including the 1 sold last year? That would make 132! Woohooo! Our NSX population increases by 0.8%. :rolleyes: :D

<B>CerberusM5</B> : does that mean Porsche sold 9500+ 911's (all types), or one each of the 9500+ different types of 911? :p

This is from Porsches site. I think it is for 2003.

Production Volumes increased
High demand during the review year led to increased production volumes. A total of 81,531 units left the production line - an increase of 11.3 percent. Of this total, 31,250 vehicles were produced at our main plant in Zuffenhausen, 41,419 in Leipzig, and 8,862 by our partner factory in Finland. The breakdown for the various models is as follows: we produced 26,650 units of the 911 model, including 3,432 of the latest model generation, known internally as the 997. As in the previous fiscal year, higher-value 911 variants accounted for a large share of this classic vehicle's total production - 66 percent to be precise, including the S version of the new 911 Carrera.

Boxster models remain in production both in Zuffenhausen and at our Finnish partner plant - a successful collaboration which will continue with the new Boxster. During the year under review, we produced 13,462 Boxsters; 8,862 of them were assembled in Finland.

In addition to the Cayenne - with 41,149 units - Leipzig produced the Carrera GT during the review year. The first 270 of the limited production run of 1,500 high performance sports cars have already left the plant.

NetViper said:
This is from Porsches site. I think it is for 2003.
Those are worldwide numbers, not U.S. numbers.

In 2004, Porsche sold 31,473 vehicles in the United States, and 28,417 in 2003. I'm not sure of the model breakdown but I suspect that the majority were the Cayenne SUV.

In 2004, Ferrari sold 4,900 cars worldwide, including 1400 in the States.

In 2003, Lamborghini sold 890 Gallardos and 425 Murciélagos worldwide, including 295 Gallardos and 130 Murciélagos in the States.

There are around 20,000 NSXs worldwide, most of which are in the States (~9,000) and Japan (~7,000).

EDIT: Found and posted actual numbers for Lamborghini and Ferrari.

Last edited:
NetViper said:
Are you sure? I think they sell well over that number per year.

I saw these figures on a Porsche forum for 2004 sales. Following is the breakdown for U.S. sales:

911: 9,081
Cayenne: 17,100
Boxster: 3,298
Carrera GT: 178

As you can see, there were 178 very lucky people last year. :biggrin:

All I know is that I was contacted about my NSX today for this project and the guy said, 'I was told you have an Acura NSX. What we like about your car is that it is rare and unusual. We need something sporty, exotic, and unique. Not like a Corvette,' and I smiled thinking about all the Corvette people that would be ticked to hear that their car is not the end all be all of the universe. :D

Ferrari has upped their production capacity dramatically in the last decade or so. They only built about 12,000 308's during the model's 10-year run, and there are fewer than 4000 32v V8's like the one in my '83. That's internationally, not just the US.

In the 3 years I've had my Ferrari, I've only seen one other like it. In the 3 weeks I've had my NSX, I've already seen one other like it.

What I like about the NSX is that it's rare, but not so rare that everything for it has to be custom done. You can actually buy aftermarket parts and kits for it, OEM parts are readily available and inexpensive (I've seen distributors for my 308 sell for $2000 each -- and there are two!), and there is a ubiquitous service and support network.

I'd say the NSX is just rare enough.

zff said:
In the 3 years I've had my Ferrari, I've only seen one other like it. In the 3 weeks I've had my NSX, I've already seen one other like it.

Hawaii is a VERY small place. There are quite a few NSX's on that island. You will probaby see a NSX there much more often than you would in any other state.

Hi

The NSX is very rare in Norway. There are 21 known NSX's in Norway.

Most of them are imported. I am not sure how many where sold new in Norway. About two I think. One has been stolen and are now maybe in Russia or Poland or something.

I wanted something that nobody else had. So I bought a Prelude 2.2iVTEC.

Then one day I could afford my dream car that not only nobody had, but most people do not know what is.

NSX :)

I thought there where more NSX's worldwide than 20.000. This include ofcourse T's too?

Regards

Last edited:
martin said:
I thougt there where more NSX's worldwide than 20.000. This include ofcourse T's too?
Yes, these figures are for the NSX-T as well as the Coupe.

You can see sales figures (broken down by calendar year, NOT model year) on Honda's news website, as follows:

United States
Canada
Japan
Europe/Middle-East/Africa

That's not the entire production, but the NSX sales in the markets not included - Asia/Oceania, and Latin America - are only a small portion of the total.

Back