• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to most effi$iently heat a cold, cold, garage....

My garage is approximately 20*25 with a cold, cold concrete in Seattle. Because of the concrete, it often feels colder than outside!

I've looked @ wood stoves - but I'm told they require expensive ducting.
How have others tackled this problem, on a budget?

Last edited:
My brother-in-law heats his home and garage(s) with wood burning stoves. In fact I was there over Christmas and -20C temps and it was toasty warm. Not sure about the expensive ducting though...

I have the same problem with the concrete floor/freezing cold shop/garage. It's crazy how the concrete keeps cold in.

There are obviously a ton of options, and your ideal solution depends on how often you use the space, and how you want to use the space.

We could spend a ton of time here posting back and forth, but based on the parameters of your initial post, I think we'll arrive at:

Forced air multi-fuel system such as a Reddy Heater or similar. One with a thermostat and timer. Youtube or google it if you don't have experience with one of these.

Pros: The amount of heat and initial speed of heating of the air is pretty much unbeatable. You can pick a nice smaller unit on Craigslist for around $100.

Cons: You now have a jet engine in your garage. Loud as hell. Could potentially ignite a wood dust plume (if you are a woodworker type).

On the other hand, since you mentioned interest in a woodburning stove, if you have the cash to invest in a used cast iron stove and the necessary ducting/wood gathering/storage space, this changes things. In short, this turns the process of heating a space into an almost romantic event.

Hope this helps.

I can't imagine you'd want something as big as a wood stove in a space that small, unless you weren't trying to park cars in it. :wink: A pellet stove might be a bit easier to deal with that normal wood. You might be able to find a smaller sized one that mounts to the wall.

I wonder if installing some racedeck flooring or something similar would make any difference by insulating the cold concrete from your feet a bit.

Last week I was in the attic and noticed for the first time that the homebuilders had taken the cheap way out, and had not insulated around the garage at all. Attic temps are isolated from the garage only by a layer of drywall.
I don't know if this is a common practice these days, but you might want to check the insulation situation.
Also, the garage door can be improved somewhat by cutting sheets of styrofoam insulation to size and fitting them onto the panels.
Maybe you've looked into all of this already. Just sayin' ....

we use electric wall mounted fans,but very ineficient I'm thinking of switching to infrared or ceramic blowers,something with less electricity usage.I have the garrage at 45 which is fine when it is single digits out.

how big is the garage? here in MN the only option is gas line to a heater.

If all you are trying to do is take the "bite" out of the cold so that you can work, my solution may work. My garage is 24x32. First, my garage doors are insulated. I ordered it that way when we built, but you can add panels as mentioned a few posts ago. I'd say this is a must, plus it quiets the doors down somewhat. Second, I blew about 6" of insulation into the attic and insulated the walls before I drywalled. Next, I added a small ceramic heater just above where I would be if i were working on one of the cars. It will fall far short of making the wife comfortable out there, but will keep you plenty warm while working and also take the temp inside the garage up significantly from the outside temp (roughly Δ15-20°). I looked into some of the higher BTU options, but all of them required additional wiring or gas lines. This heater works on a standard 15A outlet. You can see it hanging above the bench in the pic below. It has a halogen light incorporated into it as well.
IMG_9759.jpg

Last edited:
my garage doors are insulated.

Sweet Legend :wink:

I'm facing the same problem with warming my garage. I have spent the past eight weeks looking into all possible solutions. As of today I believe the proper solution to my needs is an infrared radiant heaters with regulator similar to the one offered at Costco. This solution is scalable however it requires 240 volts.

I'm interested to see if anyone posts a better cost solution for heating a garage :)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...12&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I have the garage at 45 which is fine when it is single digits out.

You bring up an excellent point. Do you know the average temperature in your garage during the winter months? If not, purchase a temperature gauge with memory (high & low) and place it away from any shared walls with heat.

Let us know the results :smile:

Last edited:
I have air handlers in my house and a hot water boiler for the house in in the garage. It's a pretty neat system as I can program the house controls to heat just certain parts of the house and not other parts. The residual heat from the boiler keeps my garage ~60 degrees at all times. It has been really cold this year and I have stayed in NY for the winter so I am using 1 to 1 and 1/2 tanks of oil per month. Ouch!

Subscribed.

I had thought about installing another AC unit to make our garage bearable but didn't like punching a hole in the wall and/or adding ducting.

My brother heats his log home in the boondocks of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with a wood furnace.
Because he lives in the woods (with the bears ;) ) its basically FREE.

If you have access to a wood supply an efficient wood furnace is the cheapest way to go;

http://www.outdoorwoodfurnaces.org/costcomparison.php

I'm sure they are called "outdoor" furnaces because some pinhead burnt his house down and his brother-in-law was an attorney.
Jackpot.

Civilisation grew up on wood stoves. The new ones are (almost) idiot proof.
However if there's a will there's a way.

Last edited:
Since this is remotely of related to my line of work, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

First and foremost, realize that there are 3 ways to heat.

1) Conduction - Something warm physically on your skin like an electric blanket.
2) Convection - Blowing warm air over your skin. Your typical air handler and furnace with a fan uses this principle.
3) Radiant - Heat/energy is absorbed without a medium; just like with the sun. We absorb the heat from the sun, even though there is no medium (like air) that brings it here. It radiates, hence the name.

Typically the preferred method is convection, which is why your typical home furnace uses convection to heat your house. However, most garages are not insulated and as you mentioned, has a very cold concrete slab (it acts as a reverse heat sink; i.e. it absorbs heat energy). In that case, a convection heater is not typically the best choice, mostly because most of the energy you put into the space will be thrown away. To take it to an extreme example, if you were outside to the ambient, blowing hot air towards you would be a very inefficient way of trying to keep you warm. Most of the energy would be wasted and dumped to the atmosphere.

In most poor insulated spaces or spaces with a poor building envelope (warehouses, garages, spaces with roll up doors) the preferred method of heating is radiant. The reason is because radiant heat isn’t affected by convection, winds etc. it is completely dependent on distance. The sun still warms us in the winter even though it may be windy. In fact the reason we have winter is because the tilt of the earth means the sun is at a further distance than in the summer and because the sun heats us radiantly, we don’t receive as much heat energy and thus we have winter.

So in a garage, you should look at radiant sources of heat. The benefit is being that you will still feel the warming effect of radiant heat completely independent of the insulation or how much concrete you have. None of those factors affect radiant heating. However, the catch with radiant heating is that it is completely distance related. Meaning, the further away you are from the source the less heat you get, and the closer you are, the more you get. If you only have a single source for that radiant heat, then you will only have a small sweet spot for an ideal temperature. Radiant heat works best when it is spread out, but short of a commercial system it can be expensive.

If you want to condition your entire garage uniformly then it will be hard to with a radiant system cost effectively. However, it can be done if that is what you want. If you are only going to be working in a small area, like Searchin4acoupe’s set up above, then a radiant heater (which is what he has) is a good option. Radiant heaters come in all sorts of flavors and styles. You can get gas fired ones, electric etc. Keep in mind an open fire and wood burning stove are also radiant heaters although all radiant heaters, by nature, do provide a little convective heating as well. (HINT: Radiant heaters don’t have a fan). I won’t get into all the kinds and brands and recommendations as that will take forever. Just wanted to give you a little background information to make an informed decision.

I was looking into this recently and came across these micathermic heaters on newegg.com while looking for computer parts -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16896808038

This is the first time I'd heard of these and thought they might be useful in the garage. I had electric radiant heaters in a previous house and although expensive due to electricity costs, they worked well. This is similar.

My two car garage is attached and in the New England winters, temps drop into the upper 30s in the garage since it's uninsulated. It's too cold to comfortably work out there. First thing I did was check here on Prime to see if others had used them. No hits in searching.

This particular model didn't get the most glowing reviews. It was cheaper last week thru newegg (under $50, free shipping), but I opted not to spring for it before doing some more research. I figure a unit like this would be used only when I'm out there. A plus is it can be wall mounted. I'd love to have actual heat all the time in the garage, but it's not high on my list of projects. It's a pain having to remember to bring all my detailing products in and store them in the basement so they won't freeze, but such is the price of living in New England.

Anyone have any experience with these micathermic heaters?

What do you want to do in your garage and how much are you willing to spend?

From my time in Silverdale (22 x 36 garage), I could usually work on my car for a couple of hours if I put down 2 or 3 layers of cardboard on the concrete, and used a small forced air electric heater close to the car. As the slab was uninsulated and the attic (over the garage) was not insulated either, my solution worked well enough most of the time.

If you plan to do a bunch of work while on the floor, an insulated, radiant heated slab would be a great, but fairly expensive solution. The slab would be 70ish.

Miner

Back