• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HP Performance's Turbo Kit for 91 NSX

Did anyone know about this turbo kit or have installed on a NSX yet?

I am interested in buying this turbo kit, can someone give me a commet?

There's one guy running it in the forced induction section, his car was the prototype car before he bought it I believe. I was also very interested in this kit, but haven't been able to find any other info than the few posts from him and the info that was in a magazine write up.

If you have questions....please ask! :biggrin:

I love the kit and the car! I just gave another prime member a ride (just happened to be near my town) and he seemed quite impressed! His name on here is waymilky...I'm sure he'd be willing to share some impressions.

Scott

Just got back into Colorado from Kansas where Scott was kind enough to give me a ride. This was the first and only FI NSX I've ridden in and I must say it's acceleration was distorting my face! Plastic surgeons need to include rides in turbo NSXs as a no-no immediatley after surgery. I can't say I've ridden in a new C6 ZO6 or a turbo Porsche etc., but I can say this was the fastest accelerating car I've ever ridden in.

Eric

phoenix8

Can you post a link to the manufacturer, pix, dyno charts, prices etc?

Thanks,

Blaze

Main Distributor's Website (as close as you get to the Manufacturer...HP) http://www.turbochargedpower.com

You can find the price there on the page as well....my kit differs from base as follows:

67mm Turbo instead of the 60mm in the stage 1

440cc Injectors instead of the 600cc they now come with...it NEEDS the 600's!!!

Dyno soon...I'm almost done learning the AEM setup. I'm hoping for some temperature relief before going to the dyno but the weather seems to be 100+ here everyday this week with 90% Humidity....yuck!

My car was in the Jan 2006 edition of HCI (article has been posted somewhere here on prime). They published the car put down 450rwhp @ 8.9psi on pump gas and 516rwhp @ 12.2psi on race gas. I haven't dyno'd it personally so I cant' back that up personally. Besides the HP Turbo kit...the car is completely stock. When I hit the dyno...I hope to best those numbers as it seems they didn't disable the VVIS when they installed the kit. For more info on the vvis see the recent thread in the FI section...

Scott

I don't think anybody has purchased it yet, which is amazing, given the price is only $7995, and you get AEM, an air/water aftercooler, and the kit replaces your headers and exhaust - an NA header and exhaust would be nearly a third of the price of this turbo kit. The mfgr claims it's a direct bolt on kit, and it now ships with a smaller 60mm turbo, rather than the 67mm in the magazine article dyno's, so there is far less lag.

If someone buys this kit, and has a positive experience, I believe several people will snap it up almost immediatly, it's just the lack of owners that is concerning - fwiw on one of the prior threads it was mentioned the tuner, HP performance, has a great deal of experience with other platforms, so they presumably know what components to use and how to plumb everything... with the concern of other high priced systems (eg lovefab), I don't see why someone doesn't spend the $8k for this kit, which is CTSC money, for a lot of additional torque and essentially the same single turbo layout most nsx turbo kits are currently using.

There was a lot of complaint from the corvette guys. Mainly because of two things. First it took for every to get your kit after they received your payment. Second, a lot of fitment issues, so you would end up fabbing your own parts. Now I have no idea how it is with the NSX, but I am assuming the same thing. Plus, without rebuilding your motor to handle boost, probably asking for trouble.

AbadR1 said:
Plus, without rebuilding your motor to handle boost, probably asking for trouble.

At that level of power, I agree 100%.

Pre '97 head gaskets have a hard time holding that level of power. (Been there, done that) :tongue:

The pistons and rings probably won't hold either. (Been there, done that as well) :tongue:

You'll kill the stock clutch in a matter of hours. (Done this one too) :tongue:

And of course you'll need a larger capacity oil pan to keep things cool, a proper EMS and tune and a series of sensors, gauges and various other bits and pieces to make it a full system.

I think by the time you add all that up, you aren't too far off what other turbo setups are costing these days anyway.

Vesas NSX could the problems you had possibly have to do with the milage of your car?

Phoenix8 did you have the guys at HP in Roswell MN install and turn your install? If so How much was that?

VegasNSX... It's relatively common knowledge, for anyone researching FI, that the stock nsx motor can handle perhaps 8psi of boost with minimal hassle... the 15psi curve is somewhat of a 'teaser' curve, and was probably done on some sort of race fuel mixture, not intended for 'street' use, just for bragging numbers - what I find interesting is their 8.8psi curve, here:

attachment.php

note, this car is an otherwise stock 3.0L NA1, with a 'normal' baseline dyno prior to the kit installation - this test car is also using a 67mm turbo, the basic kit now ships with a 60mm version, so lag would be reduced, although even with the 67mm it shows 325rwhp and 275rwtq by 4600rpm, and peak numbers of 453rwhp and 331rwtq, again at a more-managable 8.8psi.

As far as EMS... this kit ships with an AEM, as well as an air/water aftercooler - there should be no problem running a reliable 8psi car with this kit, provided the fit & finish is good. I personally would like to see first-hand info on the nsx kit, rather than 2nd hand information about a corvette kit... When one of the original threads about this setup was posted it included positive comments about HP's ford mustang kits, so the company has pleased customers in the past, and is in the business of producing turbo kits.

Attachments

• 8psi.jpg
    8psi.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 4,161
Ahh, yes, I should have qualified my comments. Yes, you both are right. They are very much related to a high milage car. I had about 140,000 miles on my car at the time of boost so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. Although I will say that the compression leak test came up flawless.

However, I know a large majority of our NSX population resides in the '91-93 range and I figured that there would be a number of high milage NSX'ers looking at this kit. I just wanted to warn of some of the potential pitfalls that could come with adding boost, if not now, eventually. I was told by many people that the level of boost I was shooting for (8 lbs) would hold up fine. I only had to learn the (very) hard way that it was not the case for me. I could have saved Factor X and myself a ton of time and money if I just opted for the built motor right off the bat instead of building, waiting for something to break, re-building, waiting for somethign to break, and re-building again etc. etc. etc. Just something to consider, especially with pre-97 NSX's with the "weaker" head gasket design. Also, the clutch, tune and oil pan issue is still there, as I didn't see it mentioned in the kit. Those are all added costs that need to be taken into account for the final true costs.

Were did you get that dyno graph scorp965? I am looking into buying this kit this spring when I get a newer car.
What is the oil pan issue I have to deal with? The turbo looks high enough to drain back into the pan. I am not affraid to drill a hole in the pan if thats a issue.

SchuttsR1 said:
What is the oil pan issue I have to deal with? The turbo looks high enough to drain back into the pan. I am not affraid to drill a hole in the pan if thats a issue.

Not really an issue but if you plan on running on boost for any extended amount of time, you will probably want an extended or high capacity oil pan lest you risk any oil starvation or over-heating. This one is really nice but really expensive!

will it be worth it to upgrade to a ball bearing turbo and bigger wastegate to get better spool up?

K said:
will it be worth it to upgrade to a ball bearing turbo and bigger wastegate to get better spool up?

I did ask them about that. They said that they have never used the GT style turbos on there kits becouse of the cost savings.The turbo prise is 30-50% more.

If you are installing the kit on a stock engine there really wouldn't be that much to gain from a turbo or wastegate. If you have a engine built for boost that may be an option for you to help gain a quicker spool.

Last edited:
would anybody agree that this might be a better design been that it comes with a exhaust manifold for the turbo, rather than havin to buy headers?

K said:
would anybody agree that this might be a better design been that it comes with a exhaust manifold for the turbo, rather than havin to buy headers?

The plumbing, whether exhaust manifold or someone else's header, won't result in much performance difference. I'm sure HP included the exhaust manifold because variances in another manufacturer's header layouts could result in fitment headaches. The price does seem too good to be true. Personalized and individualized tuning is the most important part of any FI setup, and even with the AEM, it is not fully addressed here. It feels like the BBSC scenario all over again if each unit shipped is not followed up corrrectly. I hope HP has fantastic success as this would help the community greatly. Best of luck.

Regards,

Danny

Hoover said:
That's probably the proto-type ceramic coated, they have more welds than necessay.
Hopefully it's Stainless and not steel with ceramic coating. This will also expalin the low price.

I most like would perfer steel anyway. I've heard too many SS pipes crack but some has put alot of abuse on SS pipes and lasted. But there are more chances of having a SS crack somewhere down the road. In the pic it is steel with ceramic coating.

I see that some of you think that price is too low to be true. Well in my words I think thats way too expensive. The only way I would pay for that price is have that company install it and tune it for me and if any problems occur they would fix. Its just my 2 cent.

Back