• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HSC is no NSX

cmhs75 said:
If Honda flunks with the upcoming NSX like using a 350 V6 engine and not having enough customers loyal to buy it ( Only loyal costumers will by an overpriced 350 HP V6 )

It might mean the final death of the NSX or its bloodline

I can't honestly see how HONDA could release the car with only 350HP. They must know that is a marketing disaster. I guess we shall see.

The current 97-2004 NSX takes nearly 10 seconds longer to reach 150MPH than a viper or 911 TT. That is HUGE. The car needs to be competitive at high speeds also... not just 0-60.

How fast would a Mclaren F1 be if it had 350HP instead of 627? Would we all still love it with only half the power? The next NSX is going to weigh a lot more than the Mac...Think about it.

I do not even know why the McLaren is even mentioned when we speak about the next NSX.

The McLaren is still faster than the Enzo, it costs 1 Mio dollars, it is made in CF, titanium and it contains gold. It is not produced anymore. Please do not mention that Gordon Murray once said that the NSX was an inspiration, that is not enough to asusme that the car belongs somehow to the same breed.

The NSX is a nice and quite fast Jap car that will be mostly bought new by people that do not read this board and it will wait 5+ years to finish in the hands of people like us! :p

PS: I know, maybe 5% of the people here boght the NSX new, but still... a very small number.

PPS: most people here needs a whole life to get the money needed to buy a McLaren (me included of course). I assume and I find obvious that the McLaren destroys a NSX, a next-NSX and a next-next-NSX or it would be very bad for McLaren.

Conclusion: I do not complain if the car has 350ps. I would feel very lucky to get one for <50k$ in a couple years used anyway. :D

I think my point is valid. How great would the McLaren be with 350HP. The car weighs 2513 lbs.

All of you have said 350HP will be good if the NSX is light. I consider the McLaren to be light. So cut the engine in half and add 400 lbs and you have the next NSX. How great will it be?

NetViper,
PLEASE quit complaining about the predicted horsepower of new NSX/HSC. You have made your opinion more than abundantly clear: you wish the NSX could have >5000hp. You mention hp in every post. Well, as the astute enthusiast that you are YOU more than most should understand that Honda is not and will not get swept away in the hp wars. It is simply not their style. They want the NSX to focus on precision, lightness, handling, technical prowess, and reliability.

On the other hand, you admit that you were impressed and shocked by how much additional power the '97+ NSX had. Let me remind you that is is only a 7% (290/270) increase. :rolleyes: And you were elated. Why continue to complain about "only 350hp" in the HSC? That would be a 21% (350/290) increase over the car you drove. So in theory you would be 3X as pleased at the power increase of the HSC over the NA2 NSX as you were between the NA2 vs NA1 NSX. And this doesn't even take into account the weight reduction or any other engineering tricks Honda may pull off.

I see a Z06 in your future. :cool:

kgb_agent said:
[B
On the other hand, you admit that you were impressed and shocked by how much additional power the '97+ NSX had. Let me remind you that is is only a 7% (290/270) increase. :rolleyes: And you were elated. Why continue to complain about "only 350hp" in the HSC? That would be a 21% (350/290) increase over the car you drove. So in theory you would be 3X as pleased at the power increase of the HSC over the NA2 NSX as you were between the NA2 vs NA1 NSX. And this doesn't even take into account the weight reduction or any other engineering tricks Honda may pull off.

I see a Z06 in your future. :cool: [/B]

Yes, I was.. and still am impressed by the 98. It was really nice. However, we are talking about bringing out a BRAND NEW car. Honda does not exactly update the NSX very often. So you want to bring out a car with 350HP and then have it sit like that for another 13 years?

Trust me, I want the next car to be a total and complete success. I just don't think 350hp is going to make that happen. But please excuse me for having an opinion.

I would not at all be unhappy with a Z06 in my future... however, when I look in to the crystal ball, I see a 98 NSX with a SC in my future. However, when I look in my wallet, I see a civic in my future :(

Although the HSC looks apears to be great by most standards, it is nothing really new. The NSX, on the other hand was revolutionary when it came, sparkling with new technology.

I thought the Honda Dualnote hybrid electric concept sports car was showing the way of the future. If Honda would decide to do the first hybrid electric super sports car, that would be just the kind of novelty we like to expect.

One good thing though, for us who are keeping our cars. If they go ahead with the HSC there is now doubt, the original NSX will get more status as a true classic.

NetViper said:
when I look in to the crystal ball, I see a 98 NSX with a SC in my future. However, when I look in my wallet, I see a civic in my future :(

That's the best line of this thread so far. I actually laughed out loud! But seriously, the car won't be released for a couple years. Let's hope Honda has learned something in the last 13 years of dreadful NSX sales and that they have paid at least a little attention to the HP wars lately.

Please, let's hope.:(

Nissan is set to release their GTR in the

US finally, in 2007. According to Ghosn it will have "approximately 400 hp" and will be priced so that the buyers will not fee they were had. The next generation NSX will hopefully have at least "around 400" hp as well and be priced "competetively". That it is to be a no frills muscle car will hopefully keep the price in check and performance up.

Personally, the performance is far more important than exact hp figures. If it can do 60 in less than 4.5 seconds and maintain or improve on its stellar handling and fun character, I will buy it no matter what the number of cylinders or hp figures.

As far as the looks are concerned, I think it will look even better in "person" and it finally looks like a real exotic with its wider stance, even lower height, and further reduced length. The engine is no longer hidden under a cover and the huge double exhaust tips in the center back are awesome. The carbon fiber interior is all business and I couldn't care less if it didn't have a top end sound system or power seats or power steering, or a T-top etc. I want a tight and light driving machine is all. :cool:

Last edited:
0-60 im less concerned with.. i think it needs to do at least mid 12's in the 1/4 with trap speed around 115-. that'd be fairly decent..

i think trap speeds in the 1/4 are a better measure of seat o fhte pants accelleration and performance

Let's face it, Honda is screwing up in more ways than one:

1) The HSC is an ugly car no matter how you slice it.
I love performance, but an ugly car is an ugly car (Mitsu Evo anyone?). Honda is an incredible company at engineering and offering value and performance. However, they have NEVER made a great looking production automobile besides the NSX. If they focused half of the energy into aesthetics as they do in engineering, they would truely be phenominal. The HSC is embarrasing. If they release it looking the way it does now (especially with a V6 producing anything less than the HP of a 911), I predict, it will fail. By the way, the s2000 is another fantasticly engineered car with an absolute boring and embarrasing design.

2) Honda is doing a miserable job of marketing and brand building.
I think this began when they dumped the very powerful names of 2 of their most important cars: Integra and Legend. Both of these names were status symbols in their respective class. So what does Acura/Honda do? They drop the nameplates for ambiguous and boring names like RSX and CL (or is it RL?). Oddly enough, I own a Legend (which I love) and I don't even know what the name of it's replacement actually is? HSC is an equally boring name. This is an area where they shouldn't mimmick the Germans. Additionally,it doesn't help that the new names were attached to cars that didn't look as good as their previous models.

3) It feels weird writting negative things about my once favorite car company. I still love my current NSX and my Legend (I'm thinking about getting a CRX as well), however, Honda is in a coma when it comes to seducing us with any emotions regarding their new crop of cars. Acura has lost it's prestige by a landslide to Lexus, Audi and countless others. Their latest offerings are an embarassment in visual design. It's sad to see, but I hope they get some people in upper management who care about style and image as much as they do about engineering and quality. People purchase cars on style as much as they do on engineering and value.

Honda... wake up from your coma and design a car that we can enjoy looking at and feel proud to own!

Ryneen

Ryneen -

i actaully think the new '04 TL is a pretty nice looking car... not sure that the nsx is the only good looking car honda made...

ryneen, I defenately do not agree! to me an s2000 looks much nicer than an ugly Z3 and Boxter or a boring slk. Comparing the current Accord with the others, the Honda wins by a better aerodynamic look. The Legend still looks competitive to the rest of luxus-cars. The rear of HSC should be redesigned, anyway, the whole car looks nearly perfect to me. Look for example at the gallardo. It seems that this car was designed at the computer in a few hours and without any love.
Furthermore, it does not make any sense talking about design and look, because it is always purely a matter of taste! :p :p :p

The S2000 design is one of the more

inspired efforts from Honda. It is simple yet elegant and purposeful. The long hood has a purpose in addition to looking very good, it allows the engine to be place entirely behind the front wheels, making for a front-mid engine-mount. The front wheels are spread wide and the fenders stretch beautifully to cover these wheels. The short and upright windshield evokes the S800 as do several tasteful touches throughout the car.
Take a load of the "S2000" badge on the rear of the front fenders in conjunction with little rectangular light.....that is perfect. Take a look at the simple and efficient dash, the tight and yet comfortable seats, the perfectly placed pedals, the perfect and light throws of the six speed gearshift. Don't forget the howl of the diminutive yet powerful and light engine. Don't forget either that the original concept of the NSX was to be something very similar to the S2000..... a small, 4 cylinder sports car....that was later changed to a larger displacement 6 cylinder engine and a somewhat larger and somewhat heavier car. As such, the S2000 embodies the original spirit of the lovely NSX and remember too that it is built alongside its more presitigious brother in the same factory and so the build quality is impeccable.

The S2000 is available only as a manual shift and it caters to a very special breed of driver who knows the value of power and lightness and handling ability. Those who enjoy driving would find the S2000 to be a unique value and thank Honda for making such a jewel of a car and for pricing it so that almost anyone who loves driving can enjoy it.:cool:

I hapen to own an s2000 and have been shoping for a car for my wife.

We test drove several cars and build quality, ride, drive, and noise level were all very important. At the same time I am also thinking of a replacement for my S2000 which is why I'm hear.

For her we ended up with a CLK55. After driving many cars we liked this one the best. I looked at the new BMW 530 and wasn't impressed.

I also took the opertunity to drive and 02 NSX and an 03 911 turbo x50.

After all was said and done I got back in my S2000 and wondered why I was thinking of replacing it.

Soooo, after all of this my feeling is that what ever Honda comes up with for a replacment of the NSX will be great!!!

I just hope they come up with more info before I make the plunge, because as of right now I am leaning toward a GT2.

kgb_agent said:
IMO there is no reason to talk about the S2000. It's in the Miata category. Total chick car.

You haven't driven one then one or looked at the specs if thats your thoughts.

I have Ohlins, 17" forged wheels with 215 45 17 and 240 40 17. It would more than likely take the NSX on a tight track.

I tracked a viper one day and feel the S would hold its own real well on a tight track.

My S is a chick car, in that my wife usually monopolizes it. :) Never driven a Miata, but I'm pretty certain the S2000 would smoke it, seeing as it beat the Boxter TypeS in 0-60, lap time and lateral g's in a recent car mag comparo.

Be careful Mr. Macho

there are "chicks" out there who can smoke you in your NSX.
The S packs a potent punch and in the right hands can be surprisingly quick;)

Back