• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hybrid Ferrari in 2020; only 3 years after Acura

Ferrari is going to sell an NSX beginning in 2020.
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-ga...020-sf-90-stradale-plug-in-hybrid/1288211001/

Of course, la la Ferrari (or perhaps “la Ferrari’s ‘la Ferrari’”) is a limited production car. So it doesn’t count. The new one is supposed to be a full production model. It’s going to cost around two-and-a-half NSXs.

So, il re de vilocita is breaking new ground by building, well.... a V-8 NSX. Now that they have studied for three years how the NSX works, I wonder if there will be any comparisons to the Acura?

ha. Who am I kidding?!

Not sure if this is really a 488 replacement though - until then I would say that Ferrari is building a true road car hybrid and not just a hyper expensive hyper car. I am waiting for more news on the F173

Acura builds the hybrid nsx and it's a mistake. Ferrari builds one and it's forward looking.......

Acura has it right, but they were too conservative. Oh, what could have been. The problem was that they targeted the F458, and, in my opinion, exceeded their goal. But, the fact is that they were 3 years too late. By the time they finally got the car to market, the supercar market had marched onward, and Ferrari replaced the 458 with the 488 and well over 600HP. But it may all be a moot point. It's possible that a Japanese supercar will never be handed the respect it deserves, no matter how good one might get???

Regarding the Ferrari. My God 989 combine HP....... I suspect it will be more than 2.5x NSX's..... I'll just have to settle for slumming in my paltry 573 HP NSX!

The supercar/performance market is oversaturated. Cars with 600 HP+ are a dime a dozen. Where will we be 5 years from now? 1500 HP?? Oh wait, aren't the Bugatti's there already? 2000HP? Crazy.......

Actually, Ferrari and Lamborghini and McLaren and BMW and VW/Audi are all wetting their collective lederhosen, due to Euro-6 Emissions Regulations, which begin taking effect in September of this year. Auto makers are scrambling to insure their fleet meets — on average — E6 requirements.

The NSX meets E6. AND IT MET E6 THREE YEARS AGO!

from FRANCE24, March 4th of this year:

“Automakers are at high risk of being hit with heavy fines of up to one billion euros ($1.13 billion) if they do not follow the looming European limits that require a company's entire fleet to emit no more than 95 grammes (3.4 ounces) of CO2 per kilometre on average per vehicle, according to a recent study by the BCG consultancy.
Over time, "if the carmakers do not sell enough electric vehicles, they will be ruined by fines," PSA chief Carlos Tavares warned Monday in an interview with the French daily Le Figaro, comparing the new emissions targets to "a threat that will lead to a Darwinian reaction."
The problem is that the market is still in the embryonic stage. Even if a wider supply in 2019 and especially in 2020 may prove stimulating, demand may [sic] too weak to support so many new electric models.”
The French obviously hate the word “be”, which they left out of this published article.

I intentionally avoided being the one to start this thread.

Have been reading a lot of the stuff on this.

Kind of cool to see the F folks take the NSX hybrid format and dial it up a bunch of ways (TTV8 with 780 ponies, another 200 ponies of electric, a bigger hybrid battery, plug in for more e only range. Also included the third e motor out back and the 2 up from for awd, and torque vectoring, and it has regen braking. I may have read things wrong but one or both of the versions (street focused or more track focused (I think this one)) of the car uses the e motors for reverse. Expected to have some form of open top coming later.

I really like the new interior format. I have shaken my head about the goofy little HVAC controls below the dash on all the modern F car. Finally addressed with the SF90.

Still pretty funny that pricing is being kept under wraps. Could be $500K, could be $700K and is expected to be a high volume model.

Interesting that they slotted it above the F8 Tributo but without a CF tub and Lambo doors there is room to do an even higher end version. Then they can replace the Tributo in a few years with a dialed down TTV6 version of the hybrid car.

Last edited:
A Road & Track article on the SF90 Stradale says, "Notably, the transmission does not have a reverse gear—the car backs up using the front-wheel electric motors, a strategy also used in the Acura NSX."

Huh? Acura's specs for the NC1's transmission say that it has a reverse gear.

A Road & Track article on the SF90 Stradale says, "Notably, the transmission does not have a reverse gear—the car backs up using the front-wheel electric motors, a strategy also used in the Acura NSX."

Huh? Acura's specs for the NC1's transmission say that it has a reverse gear.

right. That’s a weird one. Technically, the NSX transmission doesn’t have a reverse. Rather, you put it in ‘reverse’, and ONLY THE FRONT WHEELS are powered by electric only. And this is true even if you’re in track mode! So, even if the gas engine is on, reverse is electric-only, front wheels only.

At least, that’s what I was told*. And at the same time, I also learned (and was surprised to learn) that during electric-only propulsion, the NSX becomes a front-wheel-drive car. I had always assumed that the rear wheels were also driven by battery power during electric-only propulsion.

*Of course, I was told this information by the same dealership which advertised (ADVERTISED!) that the NSX has Remote Start. So, I’m way less sure about this data, than I am about most of my other replies. I’ll park on the grass, put it in reverse, and floor it; That’ll tell me a lot.

MasterNSXTech, can you chime in?

Good to know the dealer who told me that, was wrong about that one, too. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ever reversed your NSX up an incline? It definitely does not use electric motors. The car actually starts up as soon as you put it into reverse if it was previously in a mode where it was running full EV.

I thought the e reverse was kind of cool.

They definitely put a lot of work into the car.

Probably some of the over the tops aspect of the package is to fight the hybrid hate (which is still there on Ferrarichat).

I only want to know how heavy is the new Ferrari? LoL not a 1/4 tank weight, but real weight. Sounds heavy, hence the nearly 1000 hp output.

I only want to know how heavy is the new Ferrari? LoL not a 1/4 tank weight, but real weight. Sounds heavy, hence the nearly 1000 hp output.

I'd throw my guess at 3,700 considering the Laferrari is 3,500lbs and has a carbon tub and a 488 is 3,300 without hybrid goodies and an aluminum chassis.

918 weighs 3,650 and makes 608 hp from the gas engine and has 279 electric hp and can do 0-60 in 2.2 seconds.

If the sf90 will make 769 hp from the V8 and 217 electric hp. It makes 100 more total HP but 63 less electric HP. If weight is 3,700lbs or so 2.5 second 0-60 seems to make sense.

I would be curious to see if the sf90 is a carbon tub or an aluminum body. I'm guessing aluminum since the Laferrari, Enzo, and F50 have been their only cars to get the CF chassis.

1570kg is a number I read in an article quoted from an Engineer. Sounds like the dry weight maybe hahah...

More to go along with this thread.

At Katie’s Cars & Coffee in Great Falls, Virginia yesterday, the NSX was a huge hit. Someone asked me why I chose the NSX. I said:
“All of these cars here — the 488, the R-8, the Huracán — they all represent the best of technology developed in the 1900’s. This NSX represents the beginning of 21st century technology. We’re in the infancy of the age of hybrid-electric, all-electric, hydrogen fuel cell, and other non carbon-based fueled vehicles. We’re in the Golden Age of innovation in personal transportation power systems. Soon, we’ll all settle on the most efficient system, and — as we have been doing for the last hundred years — we will all be driving vehicles powered by the exact same propulsion system. But until then, well, it’s a great time to be alive.
“We are also witnessing the twilight of combustion engine technology. The NSX, the P-1, the 918, the la Ferrari — they all represent the beginning of a new movement, and — more importantly — the end of one hundred years of personal transportation technology. In just a few years, even Lamborghini will stop selling gas-only cars. It’s likely that my youngest son will never have driven a gas-only vehicle. And when he’s in his fifties, he’ll lust after the latest Ionic Reactor Engine-based Hypercar (or whatever). So, that’s why I chose the NSX.”

OK..... I said all that in my head. But that’s the answer I would have given, had a 2005 Ford GT not been idling next to us, and none of us could hear what the other was saying, anyway.

Ferrari makes great cars - but with each new model the price grows exponentially higher....

Their target market and the NSX is vastly different so it's good to compare and have the NSX mentioned in the same sentence :)

1570kg is a number I read in an article quoted from an Engineer. Sounds like the dry weight maybe hahah...

Yes, Ferrari is notorious for quoting dry weight, and even those tend to be optimistic.

This SF90, with the hybrid system and aluminum chassis, is going to be heavy. I think realistically a USA spec car on the road is going to be very high 3's or more.

Here is a list of actual supercar weights from a USA-based owner who owns and/or has friends who own all of these cars and weighed them on automotive scales he bought himself. The hybrid 918 Weissach came in at 3,744 lbs with a carbon chassis and ultra-lightweight race bred N/A V8.

summary_e3b6a8083a12abbc0af52098636e28b26acee504.jpg

Last edited:
Back