• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I can make forged 02+ replicas in 17/18 stagger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang it. Another gb that I might be interested in

I would be interested in a set of 17 18. Or just a set of 18” rear as the rear stock 17” always look little small compare to the front.

I've still got my advans sitting in the box and would consider these in the standard 17/18 'aggressive' setup that fits BBK. The important thing would be quality and weight, so i'd want a nice cast or a flow formed wheel at a price that's competitive with the "nice" aftermarket wheels out there. If you can make that happen, i'm definitely in!

OK seems like there is some interest, although I am still not sure if 20 people would actually pay for it or not... I will make some inquiries and see if I can get some initial pricing. Wheels are so personal and people are so picky. Even on this thread you can see how many people want different things. So sometimes I think it's a waste of time. I know we had 30+ people on the old thread where people said they wanted them but I was thinking less than half may actually buy. I have an advantage here as the owner is my friend, I did not even know he had bought this company. He's not looking for business, this is nothing profitable for him and way too small a project. He is really more doing me a favor. So I will see what he can do.

I would like them to sit flush with stock fenders like the OEMs w/ the spacers. (But not use them).
Be and look OEM quality (something Honda would have designed themselves to keep with the new wheel designs)
If you can make them concave for an OEM + look I would be all over that.

Or just larger OEM Wheels that don't require Spacers to sit flush. I would be happy with a Nice quality Replica 02+ wheel.

Very interested!

I would like them to sit flush with stock fenders like the OEMs w/ the spacers. (But not use them).
Be and look OEM quality (something Honda would have designed themselves to keep with the new wheel designs)
If you can make them concave for an OEM + look I would be all over that.

Or just larger OEM Wheels that don't require Spacers to sit flush. I would be happy with a Nice quality Replica 02+ wheel.

Very interested!

I may be able to build a bit more concave into them still, since the wheel is wider and the offset is higher. I will inquire. It's going to take a lot of cad work. Problem is, this sort of project needs 100 buyers. NSX community is pretty small and within that, you will have a lot of people that want design X or design Y.

Not making it more concave but creating an exact replica may be a lot easier. But I will ask anyway. If we can get an even deeper concave look that would be pretty killer.

I may be able to build a bit more concave into them still, since the wheel is wider and the offset is higher. I will inquire. It's going to take a lot of cad work. Problem is, this sort of project needs 100 buyers. NSX community is pretty small and within that, you will have a lot of people that want design X or design Y.

Not making it more concave but creating an exact replica may be a lot easier. But I will ask anyway. If we can get an even deeper concave look that would be pretty killer.

I would still be interested regardless of modifying the face for a more concave look. I would like a more aggressive option for the offsets.

Dave,

Is there any chance your guy would be willing to look at doing a 17/18 combo for the OEM 94-01 wheels? My favorite wheel made is that combo that I think Prodrive made, but nobody can get them without charging almost $5,000. That's too steep for me. Just curious about this and if not it's no big deal.

Jim there is no point of an exact OEM replica. Just get the OEM wheel for that. Advantage of 18 rear is better look by a long shot, matching height sidewalls front and rear, and a better tire selection.

Okay that makes sense. I know nothing of offsets and BBK clearance so would take advice here.
Please put me on the list.

Dave,

Is there any chance your guy would be willing to look at doing a 17/18 combo for the OEM 94-01 wheels? My favorite wheel made is that combo that I think Prodrive made, but nobody can get them without charging almost $5,000. That's too steep for me. Just curious about this and if not it's no big deal.

Chris I'm afraid there just isn't enough demand for that. You get 20 buyers with deposits and I can probably do it. But it's not going to be cheap. There's just more demand for a concave style wheel these days and the 94-01 wheels aren't at all.

No sweat Dave. I appreciate you letting me know. Thanks!

Chris I'm afraid there just isn't enough demand for that. You get 20 buyers with deposits and I can probably do it. But it's not going to be cheap. There's just more demand for a concave style wheel these days and the 94-01 wheels aren't at all.

Knowing a little bit about the manufacturing of wheels.. I'll propose some "ideas" to help get this thru Dave. Take it with a grain of salt.

1. Offer conservative wheel width sizes. That means 7.5" front and 9" rear. Maybe 9.5" rear.
2. Offer a thick hub padding where the buyer can machine it down to their own offsets if they choose to. In other words, have your friend crank out some "blanks". You might need to contract with a local shop to this at an extra cost or they can do it themselves (preferred). People can pick whatever aggressive offset they want. In order to have a thick hub pad the wheel will sacrifice some concaveness. This is probably better for the BBK guys but not for the Hellaflush guys where concavity is desired (Can't win them all).

As you know.. more concave wheels tend to look smaller too. So a 17/17 set with more concave rear might not looks so wonderful. Yes, I know the OEM has a bit more concavity than the fronts.

Why don't you make 10 sets of 17x8 +35 / 17x10 +35 for those who want "aggressive" fitment and BBK clearance and then you could also make another 10 sets of 17x7 +45 / 18x9 +40 for those who want the OEM look but with 10 and 15mm built in spacers?

I dont want to run crazy negative camber in the front just so the very tip of the fender clears the tip of the tire but everything else sticks out. This is how my car looks like with just 5mm spacers, in my opinion it would be nice to get another 5mm in the front and 10 in the rear.

8555296121_ae9b41e81b_c.jpg

Dave, there is no way of pleasing all. The mere fact that you are even contemplating this is a huge favor for this small community and significantly even smaller potential pool of buyers. The more customized variables you introduce the more it will cost the few. I still think the best advice was post #20.

It makes no sense to have a custom run 17/18 wheels if they don't clear BBK; I would consider this as the the first benchmark - and concave, flush, or not side effects ..... Second benchmark is the weight though some may put price. The rest as in paint color, that can be customized ...

I think it is safe to say that there is serious interest in a 17/18 wheel but I'm sure the level of interest will vary greatly depending upon the price. I'm looking forward to what you can come up with.

im in... 17x8 18x10 is what i prefer, but im always open as long as it gets made

I might be interested if:

F: 17x7.5 or 17x8,
R: 18x9,5 or 18x10
wheels clear Stoptech BBK
weight: F < 16 lbs R < 19 lbs (i think only possible if forged)
Price < 2.500 $

I know i'm a bit demanding... :biggrin:

Ya think? LOL... Those weights are less than the OEM forged. Now you want wider and taller wheels that weigh less than the forged ones, all for under $2500? I am with you on the rest but either your wallet or the weights have to make a compromise. FYI forged Volks are $4500 and the OEM wheels are like $6K. Forged at $2500 isn't gonna happen.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Offer conservative wheel width sizes. That means 7.5" front and 9" rear. Maybe 9.5" rear.

Why not 8 and 10? I think 7.5 and 9.5 is OK too, but then the offsets have to change to look right. Which can be done. This is the only gray area for me. As you know I picked a 9" rear over a 10" rear advan for lighter weight and a more square tire shoulder.

2. Offer a thick hub padding where the buyer can machine it down

You really someone is going to take 4 wheels they just bought and go to a machine shop and shave them down? I think that would kill all my sales.

As you know.. more concave wheels tend to look smaller too.

I think it is the opposite. The OEM rear actually looks bigger than the OEM front. They are identical other than the rear is more concave. The curvature adds more size visually.

Last edited:
for me the holy grail would be a 17 inch front wheel that was just big enough to accept a 235/40 nto1 which runs 9mm wider than 235...with just the right offset to not destroy the fender liner .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back