• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I Can't Live Without An NSX! Help, Please.

I have been in a state of "withdrawal" since I foolishly sold my NSXT last year. I thought after some 20 years of sports car ownership that my appetite had been satiated.
Brother, was I wrong. For those that understand, part of me seems to be missing since the NSXT departed.
Anyhow, time has come to rectify matters with the purchase of another NSX. I desire to purchase a very low mileage 91-94 Coupe. In fact, I have located a pristine 91 with but 5,400 miles. Snap ring and window regulator issues aside, what maintenance concerns and costs must I deal with given the age and low mileage of this car. Many thanks for any and all assistance and guidance.

I can think of a couple to get the ball rolling (not in any particular order):

1. The radiator hoses should be replaced (approximately $120 in parts)
2. The timing belt and water pump should be changed (approx. $1200.00?)
3. The car should be lowered and upgraded to 17"/18" wheels/tires like this.
4. It wouldn't hurt to flush the ABS system.

Good luck in your hunt!!

P.S. Just kidding on requiring step #3, but I happen to think it looks better.
cool.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Depending how the car was stored, you can be in for a few problems with such an extremely low mile car. At a minimum, you should flush and replace all fluids and replace most rubber (belts, hoses, tires, brake lines). Inspect boots.

I would probably also pull a plug and stick one of those little cameras down there to check the cylinder walls for rust. Years of sitting + no oil on the cylinder walls + cast iron cylinder liners can = trouble if the car was not stored well.

I would plan on replacing the o-ring in the AC system. Prolonged lack of use leads them to dry out, and if you wait for the freon leak you can damage the compre$$or. This is a fairly inexpensive job now, but gets well into four digits in a hurry if the compressor goes.

I would also thoroughly test the ABS system. Long periods of standing can lead to gunk building up and causing stuck solenoids, etc. A dealer can test it if you and/or the current owner aren't thrilled about "field testing" on such a mint car.

Wow, the mileage is pretty low. Not quite as low as mine though
smile.gif

Lud makes some good points so be sure to follow through if/when you decide to purchase the vehicle.

Luckily for me my car is still under warranty, so anything that may be "defective" has already/will be fixed before the warranty expires.

Out of curiosity, how much are you picking it up for(or that the owner is selling it for)? I'm trying to get more info on the market value for super low mileage NSXes. You can email the price to me if you'd like.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

Most points already covered, but I'd add:
- AC in general -- possibly not enough "exercise use"
- coolant hoses -- check applicable TSB
- air pump (in trunk) might no longer work
- struts on glass hatch and rear trunk

All of the points have been covered well here. I also own a 91 with less than 9000 miles. When I bought the car, it had about 7000 miles.

The previous owner is an avid Honda enthusiast. He owns several Honda race bikes, like RC45 and NSR. He loves to babied the car. When I bought this car, all the fluids were fresh, all the drive train rubber plugs were replaced, and the car was cleaner than most newer ones. He even listed the brake oil that I should use(Motul), the engine oil(Amsoil) and so forth.

My suggestion is to talk to the owner, try to get some info on how s/he maintain the car.

[This message has been edited by NSX2F1 (edited 15 May 2002).]

Back