• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I feel like I'm on the final stretch on my plan to buy an NSX (don't laugh)

I just wanted to share my story thus far towards obtaining my goal of owning an NSX for others out there who might be in the same boat as me. This is intended just to be motivational for all you guys and maybe to show that patience is the most important thing to consider when trying to reach that goal.

I joined this forum in 2004 while searching the web for everything I could find about the beautiful vehicle Honda produced for the few lucky owners out there. I've always loved the NSX, even at a very young age. I took in everything on this website and it's been in my bookmarks ever since. It is such a wonderful resource. I remember reading the FAQ (before it was Wiki) and thinking man I want to own one of those color combinations with less than 10 made lol. I still visit every single week to keep myself motivated and focused (and up to date on the market price :wink: )

When I was 17 I decided that I HAD to own an NSX someday. When I say own I do not mean take out a loan (rent to own as I like to call car loans), I mean own. I set out a plan during my senior year in high school. I was going to go to school in a field that paid well and was enjoyable. Now I am not the most intelligent guy out there when it comes to math and science but I decided to go into mechanical engineering as it was very interesting and fit the pay criteria. I struggled through the first two years of school but eventually got the hang of it. I then switched to a Physics major my junior year as it peaked my interest even more. Unfortunately it also made school more difficult.

Well I am now in my final year of school with a measly 4 hard classes left. I've paid off all my debts so far and worked 30+ hours a week during school to avoid academic debt. I will be graduating this coming May. I already have a two potential jobs set up that both pay well enough to finally accelerate me toward my goal.

Although my savings haven't materialized much during school my current plan will allow me to purchase outright an NSX in the 40K range in 26 more months :smile:

Now I probably know that many of you are thinking 26 months?! Thats a long way out. But hear me out... I've been planning this purchase since I was 17. I am now 23, and will purchase the car at age 25. So I'm 4/5 of the way there already. I'm on the final stretch.

I just wanted to poke my head out of the lurker cave and share my excitement with everyone. I can finally see my very own NSX materializing on the horizon :biggrin:. VTEC will hopefully engage starting this May and she'll be in my hands before I know it. It seems like every year goes faster than the last.

Those of you out there that are like me keep on working hard! Good things come to those who earn their assets and work their way through life. You'll get there eventually.

Discipline reins supreme over intelligence and luck over the long term. Short term is nothing, most lottery winners end up bankrupt. I'm 23 and also going to buy my NSX when I'm 25, mainly for insurance reasons but also to make the purchase a little "lighter". I went the investing route and have never looked back, only forward. If I could live with liability [worked way too hard to waste the amount of money these insurance companies have quoted me for an NSX] I would probably buy it this time next year but what can you do. Being married will help a lot in that regard as well.

Nice. I'm 24 and quickly coming up on my second NSX. Hope to see your post in 26 months!

J.

Sure sounds like your doing it right!! I picked up my NSX a week before I turned 21, I was only able to buy because of putting down $13k (buying and selling cars) and financing $17k. When it all came down to it I had to settle for a condo instead of a house at the time, but after a good 2 years of buying and selling cars I was able to pay it off and go build my house. I have had the car for 7 years and never looked back:biggrin:!!

awesome story, hope to see a thread of your new NSX in 26 (or less) months !

i'm on a very similar plan, except i'm finishing my masters in mechanical engineering. good luck on this endeavor. hopefully, we'll both be nsx owners before we know it!

Im in the same boat, started planning in 2002, moved to japan, spent three years buying parts. Would've had the car right now with one year left before importing, if it hadn't been for my company(i worked for) going bankrupt. In the next 24 months i should finally have it! Patience will pay off, the day i see it at my friends import yard here in Japan, will be a happy one indeed, as it will be for you.:smile: Dedication!:biggrin:

Im 22 and just bought my 92 nsx a week ago. I too have been wanting one every since I was 16. It is a huge relief to finally have a car you been working so hard for. Be patient and make sure you look at several before you jump on the first one you see.

Im 22 and just bought my 92 nsx a week ago. I too have been wanting one every since I was 16. It is a huge relief to finally have a car you been working so hard for. Be patient and make sure you look at several before you jump on the first one you see.

No worries, I already have a specific color combination in mind. Problem is there are only about 30 of them out there, so I might be waiting even longer for one to come to market.

I like that there's a wide age range with nsx owners 20-60's.
I'm the same, I wanted an nsx the first time I saw one in 91. The funny thing is I can actually afford one now (I'm 29) and I have savings but I still think of saving more. Also I have another year lease on my tsx, so that's another snag kind of.

For me weather is actaully a problem, seeing as I'm in Toronto I will only drive the car 6 months max. So now owning a tsx and an nsx would be sexy, but it means $100,000k in cars. Which is cool, but I get the feeling your savings should be significantly higher than the value of your car(s). I am narrowing the time line to one and a half years though.

I was 29 when I got mine. As long as the car doesn't compromise your financial situation, you should be able to enjoy the car a lot more. I wouldn't put a time line on something like a car purchase, since life can get complicated or priorities change. That also puts a lot of unnecessary pressure on yourself.

No worries, I already have a specific color combination in mind. Problem is there are only about 30 of them out there, so I might be waiting even longer for one to come to market.

let me guess:

1997-1999 Monte Carlo Blue/Black Manual
2000-2001 Monaco Blue/Black Manual

any chance those are right?
there's a few for sale in the prime market place.
but i'm sure you've seen those already.

Good Luck, i'm also 23 and on over 1 1/2 years of ownership after wanting it forever.

Hope to see your new NSX in 26 months, if not sooner.

I thought this forum was filled with older folks given the wierd rules about not being able to use the e-mail account I've had for 3 years etc... wanting it to be a more exclusive community.

I've been lurking forever just reading, and finally got acess to a non-free e-mail account for me to be able to sign up for the forum.

I can definitly feel what the OP feels. I'm also 23, I graduated about 2 years ago and I bought my "realistic" dream car 1.5 years ago, which was an S2000. While I love that car dearly, but I've wanted an NSX ever since the first time I saw one at the New York Auto Show when I was 7 years old! (1992)

Pending finding a new home for my S2000 and paying of my only real debt other than my house, my student loan... I start saving for the down payment on hopefully an 2003+ NSX.

Having waited and thinking that owning a car like the NSX is only a dream for most of my life I am so excited that I'm also around the corner. My goal is to start really searching around my birthday in Feb. and hopefully owning one by Summer.

People keep telling me that for that money I could have a NEW M3 or a barely used Porsche 911. Well they can have em'. I will never part with my NSX once I've acquired it. Hell knowing me and the way I treat my S2000 I'll probably never even drive it, just take it outta the garage once a week wipe the dust off with a diaper and put it back in its cozy nook in the garage.

I wish they made the 03+'s in Monaco Blue. But I'll take my 2nd choice, Black on Black, Manual of course--

So OP, hang in there, you're day is coming just like mine is in. I just hope I can get in before they start appreciating like crazy. For right now I feel like the trend is still leaning towards depreciation.

Last edited:
let me guess:

1997-1999 Monte Carlo Blue/Black Manual
2000-2001 Monaco Blue/Black Manual

any chance those are right?
there's a few for sale in the prime market place.
but i'm sure you've seen those already.

hehe very close. I'm looking for Monte Carlo/tan specifically. I change my mind about colors every two months or so but I always come back to Monte Carlo/tan.

I have an image in my mind from when I was in high school. I was driving on the freeway just north of vegas and a monte carlo passed me. It was late at night and the headlights caught my attention as it was coming up on me. It was, and still is, the most vivid car memory I have. It was the first time I'd seen a nsx in person, and it's stuck with me ever since.

im 26 and have not financed a car for 5 years.. paid cash for them all by just working hard and making the money where i could.. legally lol

my 2001 widebody nsx , 1-supercharged viper, 1-all motor viper, 3- single turbo supras, 3- supercharged corvettes, etc..

just have to be smart with your money and invest in the right areas

Waiting for the starter's pistol to fire

I can relate (kinda) -- I'm about to pay off the car I've always wanted to own and am going to start saving to buy the next car I've always wanted to own (NSX). I'd rather not finance this time, but buying a home is more of a priority so I may bite the bullet if I lose my patience. Good luck to you!

Back