• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

I just got my Dali Clutch today, Is this normal

Can anyone tell me it they have experienced this issue after having a new clutch installed? I just picked up my car 2 hours ago and I noticed immediately that it is not going into 1st correctly. At every light on the way home it was taking me 2-3 tries to get the car into 1st. I noticed if I put it in 2nd then 1st it would go a little easier, but it is almost like the clutch is not fully engaging. I also notice a feeling when shifting into 3rd a notched almost grinding feeling. I did not hear any grinding noise but it just did not feel right shifting into 3rd. I have had the car for several months and before getting the clutch installed I never had any shifting issues. I have zero mechanical knowledge but my gut feeling is it is not the clutch but maybe a cable adjustment or something. Any help would be appreciated

Originally posted by Brettk:
Can anyone tell me it they have experienced this issue after having a new clutch installed? I just picked up my car 2 hours ago and I noticed immediately that it is not going into 1st correctly. At every light on the way home it was taking me 2-3 tries to get the car into 1st. I noticed if I put it in 2nd then 1st it would go a little easier, but it is almost like the clutch is not fully engaging. I also notice a feeling when shifting into 3rd a notched almost grinding feeling. I did not hear any grinding noise but it just did not feel right shifting into 3rd. I have had the car for several months and before getting the clutch installed I never had any shifting issues. I have zero mechanical knowledge but my gut feeling is it is not the clutch but maybe a cable adjustment or something. Any help would be appreciated

Assuming you have an earlier car with a dual disc clutch then it's most likely that the shop that you had your work done at did not initiate the clutch.
Very simple do do at least. It's easy to do and only takes minutes and can be done without taking the tranny out. If it's an Acura shop they should've known this already, if it's not a Acura shop them it's likely your mechanic had no idea, most don't. He can get the info from any local dealer or if you need I can fax you a copy of the page in the manual that describes the procedure.
It's all very simple but I must stress that you get it done ASAP and don't be driving the car as it is.
Good Luck

Thanks for the info I did leave out the fact that my car is a 94. Also I did have the work done at an Acura dealership. I will talk to the service manager and let you guys know what he says.

Thanks for the info I did leave out the fact that my car is a 94
Do you have US OEM gears? R&P ? JDM parts? aftermarket flywheel?

Getting into 1st is occasionally stiff in my car -- 1993 with JDM NSX-R spec tranny and aftermarket (RM) clutch. Easier to go N->2->1

BRETTK & TBolen,
I also reside in Tampa. I utilize the services of Crown Acura in Clearwater. THE NSX tech. is Mike Lacy. He has replaced my timing belt, clutch, coolant, alignment, etc. Perfect each time, no "do overs".
Email me personally and I will let you know why I don't use the Tampa guys.
Bob

yeah crown acura are the best Mike has done a motor swap put gears in the tranny and clutches and god knows what else to my nsx's Chip also has helped me out alot. however, their not the cheapest but they do stand by their work

p.s. ferman acura sucks and it Mike Percy not lacy :-)

I spoke to the mechanic about initializing the clutch and he said he did. He stated that if the clutch was not initialized it would not go into any of the gears correctly. He also suggested fully engaging the clutch in 1st stopping and then doing it again several times. Then doing the same thing in reverse. I tried that and it does not seem as noticeable as it was before but the problem is still there. As far as the R&P and gears I don't not think the car has them. I purchased the car a month ago and I do not know the history of what was done to it. The car is a 1994 red NSX with H&R Springs Enkie SRS Wheels and it has a DC Racing headers and exhaust. Someone told me the previous owner was a Asian girl who lived in the Clearwater St Pete Area. If anyone knows who she is I would like to get in touch with her regarding history, paperwork, mods.

As far as the R&P and gears I don't not think the car has them.

To make sure, check to see the road speed at redline in each of the lower gears. It shouldn't be off by more than 2-3 mph from the values shown in the chart in the FAQ.

I also live in the Tampa Bay area (Valrico) and also agree, Ferman sucks. I will be pleased to share my A/C repair experience with anyone who wants to know. I have since gone to Acunda--downtown Tampa--very good!!
Owner is NSX certified (William)--he did my timing belt, and fixed my ABS.

william at acunda is good but man when is he going to get a new shop last time i visited him we nearly tore the front end off my car going into his shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spoke to the mechanic about initializing the clutch and he said he did. He stated that if the clutch was not initialized it would not go into any of the gears correctly. He also suggested fully engaging the clutch in 1st stopping and then doing it again several times. Then doing the same thing in reverse. I tried that and it does not seem as noticeable as it was before but the problem is still there. As far as the R&P and gears I don't not think the car has them. I purchased the car a month ago and I do not know the history of what was done to it. The car is a 1994 red NSX with H&R Springs Enkie SRS Wheels and it has a DC Racing headers and exhaust. Someone told me the previous owner was a Asian girl who lived in the Clearwater St Pete Area. If anyone knows who she is I would like to get in touch with her regarding history, paperwork, mods.
First, the mechanic you spoke with, should've asked you to bring it back so that he may re-check it. It probably just needs an adjustment on the Master Cylinder Pushrod, which is connected to the Clutch Pedal arm. Does your clutch engage as soon as you lift your pedal off the floor? It may also need either just a bleed or a master/slave cylinder.

[This message has been edited by Bruce (edited 25 December 2001).]

Back