• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I won't complain of low boost again as I now have none !!!

What the hell :mad: I went for a nice little drive yesterday and all of a sudden I feel a massive loss of power. The first thing that crossed my mind is I've blown the Belt to the CTSC, but its all running fine. I pulled the boost guage out of the console to have a look see, and It always reads vacuum, not a hint of positive manafold pressure under load. How is this possible??
At idle the bypass pipe flexy parts are sucking in, could this be that poxxy bypass valve has jammed open or what ? I can't think of anything else that could cause this other than some catastrophic failure of the compresor, although it seems to make the same annoying gear lash sound as normal.
Anyone ever had this problem or have I just had a very bad day . :frown:

I would highly suspect the elbow hose connecting to the bypass valve is probably cracked, or possibly the bypassvalve itself either failing or broken off from it's mounting bracket, one of these two is most likely the cause of your problem

I would highly suspect the elbow hose connecting to the bypass valve is probably cracked, or possibly the bypassvalve itself either failing or broken off from it's mounting bracket, one of these two is most likely the cause of your problem

Even if the pipe was cracked the valve should be shut under boost anyway, shouldn't it ?

Well this explains it all !! How the hell can this happen is this a common thing? This shaft looks like a serious weak point of failure. Next question is where do I get a replacement shaft and how much? :confused: Am I going back to NA for a while :frown:

carshaft001.jpg

carshaft003.jpg

Wow!!
I have never seen or heard of a shaft failure on the Whipple/NSX Comptech system. Might be time to upgrade to the Auto Rotor.

There is a whipple repair place here in the states but would hate to guess at the cost or parts availability.

Wow!!
I have never seen or heard of a shaft failure on the Whipple/NSX Comptech system. Might be time to upgrade to the Auto Rotor.

There is a whipple repair place here in the states but would hate to guess at the cost or parts availability.

Do you know who it is ? I may have a track day coming up and need this going ASAP . What compressor type do I tell them? its AR something ?
I wonder if its something I can get a local machinist to make, theres some clever engineers around here.

Thanks for any help :smile:

Last edited:
Have you tried to contact either CT-engineering or Shad @ Driving Ambition? Sure they would know where to source a fix.

Jeff

CT engineering can't help due to its age, but referred me to a remanufacturer . Haven't heard from Shad yet. Surely someone on this planet has one. What about SOS? , I'll give them a buzz .

Not sure if they can fix this, but I believe PSE Superchargers (877-349-0790)is the Whipple endorsed company stateside to service their SCs. I sent mine in to have it rebuilt proactively due to its age. Have had it back for almost 2 years without issue. They have a lifetime warranty on their remanufactured SCs. They can even bore it out to flow more air if you want.

Holy god , Whipple wants $400 just for the shaft. So i've gone down to see my Engineers and they can CNC lathe one no problem in exchange for Beers and make it out of stronger materials. The only problem is getting the damn bearing out of the nose, we heated it with an Oxy , put it in a 10 ton press , and it won't budge. Once we work out how to get the damn thing apart it should be all good :biggrin:

Before you go through all that work and expense you might want to check the rest of the charger unit. Those shafts don't break often and it might be the result of something else.

Before you go through all that work and expense you might want to check the rest of the charger unit. Those shafts don't break often and it might be the result of something else.

I worked out how to get it all apart, the machinist seems to think there is a metalurgical flaw in the steel and at that point of breakage is the weakest on the shaft. There is also hairline fractures in other areas. I can't really see a problem anywhere else :confused: The main bearings aren't the best though I have to admit, so they will be replaced. I hope they are not some wierd size you can't get anymore !

I worked out how to get it all apart, the machinist seems to think there is a metalurgical flaw in the steel and at that point of breakage is the weakest on the shaft. There is also hairline fractures in other areas. I can't really see a problem anywhere else :confused: The main bearings aren't the best though I have to admit, so they will be replaced. I hope they are not some wierd size you can't get anymore !

Just out of curiosity how long have you had the charger installed, and how many miles did you have on it?

I've had it on for about 1 year, but I think it had a previous life on a race car. So who knows how many miles are on it.

Well I guess everthing breaks sometime... only heard of a few CTSCs ever failing thats why I was curious? Let us know when you have it going again :smile:

Dunno I didn't ask :confused: They said they forged it from some sort of shit hot quality high tensile steel. I can only assume if they thought it needed heat treatment they would have, Maybe ??? :rolleyes:

then it should be ok.

The shaft that it's replacing looks like shit quality steel.

titanic grade

Check it out , perfect replication . Whipple's price $400 , my price $0 :biggrin: The Engineers must like me , I did have to buy 2 new bearings though for $20 . The cars back together and works great.

Nice from the photo looks just like the original & probably much stronger now too!

Congratulations nice work by the engineers!

Ok, its nice to see this thing apart.
You are showing the area where the oil goes into right.
We all usually use like 10w30 mobil one in there.
Did you see anything special while you had it apart.
How do the gears mesh? They have to be pretty precise hey.
What is your thoughts on someone having this pulley/belt under too much tension.
I know myself how much load increases on my belt driven fans by slowly increasing the tension on the drive belts. The amp draw on the motor rapidly rises through the roof!
Trev

Did you use Downy on the towel, it looks incredible soft?

Do those gears have two different cuts on them?
The photo makes it look like they have a little straight cut with a beveled after that. what the heck!
Trev

Did you use Downy on the towel, it looks incredible soft?

Do those gears have two different cuts on them?
The photo makes it look like they have a little straight cut with a beveled after that. what the heck!
Trev

Do you know whats got me stumped about the gears! Common sense dictates that for the compressor screws to spin at the same opposed rate, so both the drive gears should be the same size !! Or am I retarded and failed high school physics ?? I didn't actually count the teeth on the gears but the slave gear looks exactly half the size of the drive gear , therfore it should turn at twice the rate. It hurts my head :confused:

Did you also know that the whipple system was invented in Australia and patents bought out by the US company . Yeah, Google it :biggrin:

Back