• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Identity Theft victim, seeking advice

Within the last month and a half, i've been victim of 3 separate attempt in using my identity for credit card application. The most recent being this morning.
The first 2, last month, upon finding out i immediately call one of the 3 credit bureau to notify them. After seeing it on my credit report. I had them put my info on Alert, 90days. So then today a rep from one credit card company called and left a voicemail. After calling the main credit card company, they have flagged my info for any future attempt.

Question is, if you had or were a victim of id theft. Did you file a police report? What did you do and were there any result?
I live in a very small town, i have my concern whether the police would even do anything about it.

Any suggestion?

Haven't had the misfortune of having my identify taken, but have had my credit card "ghosted" plenty of times at gas stations and restaurants. The only real advise I can give is enroll in a credit monitoring service, I use freecreditreport.com. They email you to any changes in your credit either good or bad, as if someone tries to do a credit check for a new card or any line of credit. Also have your credit card company activate the text and or call monitoring feature on your card, so they track your spending and a charge appears somewhere out of the ordinary they will text or call and deny the transaction.

unfortunately in this day and age, you have to really careful as credit card scams are like the new hot thing. At work I have had to deal with case's with suspects with 50 cards on them all with different people's credit card info on phony gift cards.
just be careful.

Absolutely I would file a police report; this is one of the first things I would do. Even if the police do nothing, many potential remedies to the situation would require this first.

Thanks for the input guys.
I will call the local police to file a report.
My bank does let me know if something is fishy or out of the ordinary. They called me thr second it heppened.

Call the police. If there are any issues years later, like mortgage refinance etc, you'll need that for sure. I needed mine 8 years after the fact to get the lower interest rate on my refi!

I would immediately change my passwords to everything, beginning with my primary email. The vast majority of identity theft nowadays is via online means, not the traditional 'rooting through your junkmail' methods. Almost certainly your personal details were somehow compromised online and are being used laterally by baddies trying to make a buck. Changing your passwords to your online accounts (email, bank logins, online forums/communities, web portals, etc.) reduces the chances that your identity could be used for further malicious activities.

I have changed all password to all personal places of personal use.
I will look into freezing my credit report.

Thank you all for all input..

Back