• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Info needed on nsx just bought. Have vin # JH4NA115XNT000059

Hey guys, whats up? I just bought a slightly damaged nsx and had it repaired and it is a beautiful car and i love how it drives. I am hooked. What i need to find out is did the previous owner change the timing belt and water pump and if so when was it carried out, Just need to know if i need to do it right now. The Vin # is JH4NA115XNT000059 bought in TN Knoxville Black 1992 acura nsx. Please Help. Terrence.

There is no national database for routine maintenance, only for recalls. So no one can just look it up in one place for the entire country.

One thing you can try is, if you know what geographical area the car was located in, you can call the Acura dealer(s) in the area and they can usually look up any service that particular dealership performed on the car. But obviously, if it was done by an independent mechanic or do-it-yourselfer (or another Acura dealership somewhere else) it won't show up there. There is only one Acura dealership in the Knoxville area, so you might try calling them - Harper Acura, (865) 691-5551.

Re: Info needed on nsx just bought. Have vin #

There are indications if the belt has been changed. The most obvious one is the newer style water pump with the extended weep nipple sticking out of the timing cover. That would be a clear indication it has been updated.

Obviously it does not indicate "when". Based on the year of the car, theoretically based on "time" it should have had two belt changes. What is the mileage?

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks guys, now this is what i call support, hope i can help you guys out sometime. The car has approx 115,000miles on the odometer.
And i will try calling the dealer from that area.
Maybe you guys can help in another way then, do you know what all i would need to do the timing belt and waterpump change? I have the waterpump, timing belt and thermostat so far. I was told that i would need the valve cover gaskets, timing belt cover gaskets, oil pump housing seal shaped like a #8, spark plug hole seals.

Thanks, Terrence.

do you know what all i would need to do the timing belt and waterpump change? I have the waterpump, timing belt and thermostat so far. I was told that i would need the valve cover gaskets, timing belt cover gaskets, oil pump housing seal shaped like a #8, spark plug hole seals.
Larry can tell you of any other parts, but if you're planning on doing this yourself, one thing you should definitely get if you don't already have it is a service manual. You can order one here.

... do you know what all i would need to do the timing belt and waterpump change? I have the waterpump, timing belt and thermostat so far. I was told that i would need the valve cover gaskets, timing belt cover gaskets, oil pump housing seal shaped like a #8, spark plug hole seals....

Here's a couple recent thread I'm in concerning T-belt/WP R&R

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97332&highlight=planning+timing+belt
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98846

BTW, I'm from K-Town :)

Bill

That is my old car.... Totaled at Deal's Gap Mar 07. There's a thread on here about it in the Southeast area.

I'd love to know what you paid for it, what you paid to have it fixed, and who did the work.

I also have the radio faceplate, stock rear wing, Kai Office rear wing, and Owners manual for sale still. :)

Timing belt was done at approx 50k. I'll look and see, and I may still have all the records...

Take good care of Roxanne, I still miss her.... :)

That is my old car.... Totaled at Deal's Gap Mar 07. There's a thread on here about it in the Southeast area.

I'd love to know what you paid for it, what you paid to have it fixed, and who did the work.

I also have the radio faceplate, stock rear wing, Kai Office rear wing, and Owners manual for sale still. :)

Timing belt was done at approx 50k. I'll look and see, and I may still have all the records...

Sorry this is off topic, but tom why did you get a Ferrari 348? Why didn't you buy another NSX, I thought the NSX is better?! You can PM, so we don't clog-up this thread.

I thought about it pretty hard, but the 348 spider was a dream car of mine, and after looking for a long time I found one with everything I wanted, including a low price and a recent major service.

You are correct, the NSX is a better car from a build and reliability and running costs perspective. The handling to me (very far from a professional) is right on par, and I've got a bit more power due to the stuff the 348 has (should be about 340 hp at the motor). I love the ability to put the top down, and all my experiences with folks have been just as good with the 348 as with the NSX, although I think the 348 does get more attention. I do feel that the 348 has more soul, and is a much rawer experience. The non-power steering is not as good as the NSX, ride is not quite as refined, but the v8 with a tubi exhaust shrieking up to 8k with the top down gives me a visceral experience I never had with the NSX. And my old NSX had a custom dual exhaust that always got me compliments.

I had the NSX for 6 years, and by the end of the 6 years, the magic had somewhat worn off. I wasn't using it as a daily driver, but there were only rare occassions that I was truely excited about getting out and driving it.

Since I was a kid in the 70's, and not even into cars, I always loved ferrari's. I didn't grow up thinking it would be cool to own an NSX, but always thought that about an Fcar, especially since I got to ride in an early 70's Daytona around the Charlotte Motor Speedway when I was about 11. It sounds strange, but when I got my NSX, I would walk out into the garage and think "cool, I've got an NSX" but now its more along the lines of "Holy SH**, I own a ferrari" :)

I hope to keep this one for many years, and then upgrade to a lambo. :)
I'm still working on my bucket list of cars, but doubt I'll ever get to the McLaren F1... :D

Just a question, since the OP said slightly damaged and you said totaled. What was the damage? Just so the OP knows what he has.......Thanks.....Steve

Nice purchase. What are the 348 priced against a 355 these days? With 360 prices falling below $100k, I would think that the 348/355 with their much higher maintenance costs should be a steal!

it seems that there is a $15-20k gap in between decent examples of each of the cars. I recently saw a white 348TS (hard top not targa) with high miles that needed a major service for $30k. And folks are still advertising red and yellow 348 spiders with very low miles for 70k (mine has very high miles, for an f car). And maintenance costs aren't really that different across the board. Yes, the 348 and 355 majors require engine outs, while the 360 doesn't, but the 360 clutch makes up a lot of that difference. :)

TOTALED, with salvage title, according to State Farm....Well, looking at the pictures in the old thread, it does appear that the damage is minor, and I thought it could be fixed. Initial insurance adjuster said about 10k worth of damage. Body shop (one of the best around in Knoxville, according to everyone I talked to) said about 25-28k worth of damage. When I got there to get all the stuff out of my car, they had the front of the car about 4' higher than the back (rear wheels on the ground) and you could plainly see that the whole front of the car was racked to the right, and the two main frame rails were bent and twisted to the right (if sitting in the car). They also told me that there had been some previous front end repairs to the car (that carfax didn't show and I wasn't smart enough to catch for a few years) that were really done sub-standard, and couldn't really be fixed properly without major expense. The guy did tell me that it could be fixed, but based on all that info, I didn't want the hassle or the expense to fix a car that I felt would not be able to be fixed properly for my budget. If I recall correctly, I think that some of the frame repairs were going to weaken the overall structure, due to previous repairs, making it less safe next accident.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the facts concerning this car. Enjoy your F-car, I understand and respect your purchase. Though it would be nice to have both and let the NSX be your winter beater/DD :smile: .....Steve

I agree, I plan in the distant future to get a f-car for what I use my nsx for now and make the nsx the daily driver, great story.

Back