• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Instrument lights out

N

NSX&RX7

Hi from NYC. I have a '91 NSX, but no owner's manual. My instrument panel lights went out the other day. I checked the fuses and they're all OK. [For future reference: Which fuse operates the instrument light anyway?]

I'm sure there is an instrumental panel bulb(s) somewhere. Interestingly (or maybe not), after calling 3 dealer service departments, I was told: (1) the NSX expert is on vacation in Italy; (2) I'll page the guy who knows something about NSXs; and (3) we rarely see one of those and I don't have the time to go through the computer library.

So, here I am on Prime where I know I'll get the answer. Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks Larry T

Originally posted by NSX&RX7:
I have a '91 NSX, but no owner's manual.

Buy one here. And if you plan on doing any work on your own car, get a service manual, too.

I checked the fuses and they're all OK. [For future reference: Which fuse operates the instrument light anyway?]

I don't know, but I think they're all labeled on the lid of each of the three fuse boxes (the one under the hood, the one on the dash, and the on in the engine compartment.

after calling 3 dealer service departments, I was told: (1) the NSX expert is on vacation in Italy; (2) I'll page the guy who knows something about NSXs; and (3) we rarely see one of those and I don't have the time to go through the computer library.

I would strongly recommend you find a dealer service department that has a lot of NSX experience and knows what they're talking about. Maybe there's one in Jersey; otherwise, Bernie Blatnick, head NSX tech at Davis Acura, is terrific. Davis is just over the Pennsylvania line, 65 miles from you and well worth the drive. Get directions here.

Thanks for web site for buying an owner's manual. Just ordered one. But in the interim, my problem is that the fuse box below the driver side panel has no cover and therefore none of the fuse are labelled. As I explained, the fuses seem OK. If that's the case, then I'm assuming it must be a bulb. But I don't know where that bulb is located.

There are a TON of bulbs all over the instrument panel. If the whole panel is out, it's likely not a single bulb.

If you have a wide bandwidth connection (DSL, cable modem, etc) then look at the service manual here. In the electrical section, the gauges start on page 23-123. There are complete circuit diagrams, list of bulb locations (page 23-130), and a troubleshooting chart (23-131). I would start with the troubleshooting chart first.

I know this sounds silly but did you check the knob for the gauge brightness control?
Is it posssible you accidently turned it all the way down when cleaning? (It's of the left lower side of the cluster)
Also, don't trust just a visual inspection of the fuses. Use a digital volt meter to test them. I've had fuses look good when they were not.

Thanks for all the help. Although the fuses do seem intact, I'll do an electronic check.
Also, the first thing I checked was the dimmer turning switch on the left side of the steering column. My second thought was that I have a size 12 shoe and the panel to the lower left of the column dislodges. I may have inadvertantly loosened a fuse. That was not the case either. Will replace all fuses to see if one is out despite appearance. Thansk for all the help, and if you can think of any other possibility until I solve this problem, let me know. I'll check bulbs also.

Larry T

The name "Acura" on a dealership sign does not guarantee... anything.

The fuse (15 amp) for the dash and console lights is number 38. It is located in the "relay box." This is a pentagon looking box on the passenger side of front compartment (where spare tire is). The dimmer amplifier -- which controls all lights that dim -- and defogger switch, tcs switch, radio, cigarette lighter, climate control, etc., etc., are all on this fuse.

So, if you have some dash lights and not others, it is not the fuse.

What is, and what is not, working?

After changing all the fuses beneath the dash and checking the hood fuses, I discovered that the instrumental panel fuse was indeed out despite its appearance. Looking closely at the bad fuse revealed virtually no clue. However, once all the fuses were changed, the dash panel lights came on. Thanks for all Prime advice. Money saved, hastle avoided. Larry T.

Back