• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interesting article on ceramic coating

hrdp_0612_26_z+engine_coatings.jpg

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0612_engine_coatings/viewall.html

Those gains may looks impressive....but look at % gained

For torque 11.5/732.8 = gain of 1.57 %

For HP 7.3/764.6 = gain of only 0.95 %

But never the less an improvement!

1% is pretty consistent with what all the coating companies (Jet-Hot, HPC, Swain Tech) claim.

The one thing I'd like to see is a long term study to see how well those coatings hold up after multiple heat duty cycles.

1% is pretty consistent with what all the coating companies (Jet-Hot, HPC, Swain Tech) claim.

The one thing I'd like to see is a long term study to see how well those coatings hold up after multiple heat duty cycles.

I have a boroscope that I was thinking about pulling one of the plugs out in teh GTO engine and inspecting the combustion chambers after 35k~ miles of ceramic coating.

I'm just lazy....

At the very least I'd like to see a long term study on header coatings, such as Swain Tech's "White Lightning" coating.

Boroscope? What else are you using that thing for?

At the very least I'd like to see a long term study on header coatings, such as Swain Tech's "White Lightning" coating.

Boroscope? What else are you using that thing for?

I have the coatings on the GTO and NSX for exhaust. Still lasting and looks brand new. Both cars definitely noticed that the engine bay is cooler. I even took a IR laser thermometer to show the difference in one of my threads.

And yes, I use the boroscope on my GF. She was a bit reluctant so I had to wait for her to sleep after I spiked her soup with Dayquil..... or was it Nyquil.....

You used the Swain Tech White Lightning specifically, or another brand?

And how many miles have you accumulated on the coatings?

You used the Swain Tech White Lightning specifically, or another brand?

And how many miles have you accumulated on the coatings?

No, I use something that my buddy that does coating at an Aerospace & Defense company uses for their secret projects.

Its suppose to be an improvement over the Swain Tech with some sorta special blend. I dun ask questions. Been using him for almost 2 decades.....

Which coating are u talking about?

besides bringing down some ambient engine bay temperatures, our testing of coatings and turbo blankets have not yielded much gains.

We tested a coated vs non coated s2000 turbo kit (we manufacture) as well as turbo blanket vs no turbo blanket and the results on my dyno were honestly negligable in terms of power output and spool up. Esthetically, they do look nice tho :)

Just got my Driving Ambition water intercooler back.

As you can see the ends are ceramic coated to help minimize the radiant heat from the engine bay during stop and go traffic from soaking up the intercooler core.

The actual fins are left untouched.

I'll probably have the front mount cooler coated with a thermal dispersant to help assist with removing the heat from the charged air.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0107.jpg
    IMAG0107.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,601
  • IMAG0108.jpg
    IMAG0108.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,605
Just thought I'd add a little something to the thread:

On my cylinder head project, I'm having the combustion chambers, valve faces, and entire exhaust ports ceramic coated.

According to my engine builder, I should make about 1.0% more power from just the coating (moreso if I coated the top of the pistons as well, but at this time I'm not changing pistons), BUT I should be able to make another 1.0% by retarding the ignition timing (which is an indirect benefit afforded by the coatings).

Back