• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interesting physics/logic riddle

Forgive me if you've heard this one before, but I've "been around the block" as far as internet news/forums go and it's new to me. I enjoyed trying to figure it out so if you do know, try to hold back before "ruining" it.

Incase the discussion gets a little 'heated', there is not an exact answer based on the technicalities of the question, so just post what you think.

----------------------
"A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the plane take off?"
----------------------

I knew it wouldn't stand a chance against the brains of nsxprime.

No, because the conveyer belt is basically keeping the plane stationary, and therefore the plane has no lift under its wings.

Yes, the plane can take off. What the wheels do on a conveyor belt are irrelevant to the physical principles of lift on the wings as the engines force air backward and impel the plane forward. The wheels may spin faster but that does not change the relative speed of the plane as to the air and lift created.

Yes, the plane can take off. What the wheels do on a conveyor belt are irrelevant to the physical principles of lift on the wings as the engines force air backward and impel the plane forward. The wheels may spin faster but that does not change the relative speed of the plane as to the air and lift created.
Hmmm.

No depends if it's a Jet or a Prop
a Prop will push air over the wing but not enough.
a Jet will push the plain not drag it and it might take of

But you first need the lift to get in the air/ leave the surface of the runway and this is the problem you can't as there is no air sucking you up (aero foil!)

As it can't make a low pressure zone!

Right on the money. It is solved.

This is correct. With the thrust of the jets there would be no way to keep the plane on the conveyor, no matter how fast the conveyor could go. If the conveyor matched the speed of the plane (but in the opposite direction), then the planes wheels would just go twice the speed of the plane... :wink:

Oh yeah it might work with trust vectoring like a Harrier works.

Ok some let's do a lab test!
Would not work with:
Push Prop design
Jet fighter lay out
You need engine trust under the wing's and flaps.

Update:

No it would work only with a few air craft there are still aerodynamic problems to over come!

Last edited:
I don't know for sure but I would guess the plane doesn't take off assuming it's a jet or in a prop configuration that does not force air over the wings.

For the plane to generate lift, it needs to have air passing over the wings. If the plane is essentially sitting still on the runway, there is no lift being generated no matter how hard those thrusters are pushing. How is the lift to be generated if it's not moving?

Tell me if this is a fair comparison... A kite flies by the same principle. So say you are able to run fast enough pulling the kite along it flies. But if you were on a treadmill running as fast as you can the kite doesn't fly since you are standing still.

Or how about this. On a carrier, I believe a jet fires off its thrusters at or near full thrust while being held back. If it didn't have the hydraulic launch system, it would simply plunge into the ocean because it cannot move fast enough by the end of the runway to generate lift. But it gets a massive slingshot launch from that hydraulic system to get it up to the speed where the wings generate enough lift for flight. So conversely, couldn't you ask if a jet was held still with its engines going full blast and you let it go, would it immediately lift off?

I don't know, seems simple enough to me but maybe there's some advanced physics playing here that I don't understand.</pre>

This is correct. With the thrust of the jets there would be no way to keep the plane on the conveyor, no matter how fast the conveyor could go. If the conveyor matched the speed of the plane (but in the opposite direction), then the planes wheels would just go twice the speed of the plane... :wink:

Ding ding ding ding.....we have a winner! :smile:

You're looking at doubling the friction on the wheel bearings and increasing the rolling resistance, but that's all the conveyor can do to slow down the plane.

Plane takes off at 150 miles per hour.....conveyor goes 150 miles per hour the opposite direction=300 miles per hour of wheel bearing friction and rolling resistance. No big deal for any plane to handle, considering the wind resistance at that speed is much higher than the bearing friction.

You're looking at doubling the friction on the wheel bearings and increasing the rolling resistance, but that's all the conveyor can do to slow down the plane.

Plane takes off at 150 miles per hour.....conveyor goes 150 miles per hour the opposite direction=300 miles per hour of wheel bearing friction and rolling resistance. No big deal for any plane to handle, considering the wind resistance at that speed is much higher than the bearing friction.

I'm going to ignorantly disagree. :) The whole point of the conundrum is that there is a conveyor belt that spins fast enough to hold a plane in a still position. I don't believe we should read into some sort of trickery on the conundrum or error in the physics of presented scenario.

So if I had some air propelled device, like say one of those CO2 propelled model cars, it's absolutely possible to hold it back from moving if you built a treadmill that was fast enough. It's possible to to make it go backwards even if the treadmill were going fast enough. If you can keep the plane from moving forward, you will keep it from flying.

I'm going to ignorantly disagree. :) The whole point of the conundrum is that there is a conveyor belt that spins fast enough to hold a plane in a still position. I don't believe we should read into some sort of trickery on the conundrum or error in the physics of presented scenario.

So if I had some air propelled device, like say one of those CO2 propelled model cars, it's absolutely possible to hold it back from moving if you built a treadmill that was fast enough. It's possible to to make it go backwards even if the treadmill were going fast enough. If you can keep the plane from moving forward, you will keep it from flying.

Like many others before you, you're reading too much into the question. Let me quote:

"This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction)."

That tells me that the conveyor matches the speed of the plane, nothing more, nothing less. Like I said, rolling resistance and bearing friction is all that increases due to the conveyor, and that is an infinitely small amount of friction compared to the wind resistance on the plane and the drag created as a result of the production of lift.

Like many others before you, you're reading too much into the question. Let me quote:

"This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction)."

That tells me that the conveyor matches the speed of the plane, nothing more, nothing less. Like I said, rolling resistance and bearing friction is all that increases due to the conveyor, and that is an infinitely small amount of friction compared to the wind resistance on the plane and the drag created as a result of the production of lift.

Edit. OK so I rethought this and hence am editing my post.

If the plane has enough thrust out of the engines to overcome the effects of gravity without lift due to airspeed over the wings then the answer is yes the plane will take off, with minimal lift created/required by wings. Think missile.

If the plane needs to create lift by air moving past the wings, i.e thrust alone from the engines will not create enough lift to overcome gravity then the answer is no. Think glider.

Last edited:
I doubt that the plane could take off. The fact that plane is stationary relative to the air, it's air speed would be zero. Now there may be some air movement induced over the wing from the conveyor, plus the possible air flow induced over the wings from the engine propulsion. But I doubt that could provide enough lift to get the plane airborne.

The supposed answer (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/060203.html) states that the engines would provide enough air flow to generate the necessary lift for takeoff. However, the plane is prevented from moving through the surrounding air by the conveyor belt moving in the opposite direction. IMHO, the lift generated by the engine would not be enough for take off. Hence (lift by engine air flow) + (plane's moving through surrounding air) = take off.

But this is just my opinion... This sounds like something for the Myth Buster's to confirm or bust. :D

Last edited:
I doubt that the plane could take off... However, the plane is prevented from moving through the surrounding air by the conveyor belt moving in the opposite direction. IMHO, the lift generated by the engine would not be enough for take off.

The explanation from straight dope is quite decent:

Straight Dope said:
But of course cars and planes don't work the same way. A car's wheels are its means of propulsion--they push the road backwards (relatively speaking), and the car moves forward. In contrast, a plane's wheels aren't motorized; their purpose is to reduce friction during takeoff (and add it, by braking, when landing). What gets a plane moving are its propellers or jet turbines, which shove the air backward and thereby impel the plane forward. What the wheels, conveyor belt, etc, are up to is largely irrelevant. Let me repeat: Once the pilot fires up the engines, the plane moves forward at pretty much the usual speed relative to the ground--and more importantly the air--regardless of how fast the conveyor belt is moving backward.

As stated by others before, the conveyor has little effect on the forward motion of the airplane (unless the pilot left the brake on!). There just isnt enough friction between the conveyor and the plane to have any appreciable affect.

You can try a small scale test with a treadmill and a toy car or skateboard. Just place the car/skateboard in the middle of the belt and steady it with your finger. Now crank up the treadmill. You should be able to counteract the effects of the treadmill on the car/skateboard with little or no effort. A conveyor will be equally powerless against an airplane.

(NOTE - Dont stand on the skateboard unless you want to end up on youtube as the guy who split his head open trying to prove a conveyor can keep a plane from taking off... because it cant...)

-- Joe

Everybody is right and everybody is wrong. Here's why. The thing that many people are forgetting or not understanding is that he wheels are free spinning wheels. They are not connected to anything that "drives" the plane. Thrust is generated by the engines. So what does this all mean?

If the plane was stationary (engines off) and the conveyer belt moved 5 mph, the plane would move backwards at 5 mph. It would be a lump of mass on a conveyer belt. However, if I moved the plane slightly forward, the conveyer belt would counter-act that motion and the plane would stand still. However, if I kept adding thrust, eventually at some point the thrust would overcome the inertial energy of the plane and friction of the wheels, so it will eventually begin to move. If the plane can generate enough thrust it will overcome the movement of the conveyer and could potentially take off.

Think of it this way. You are on a bicycle on a people mover conveyer belt, but your feet are off the pedals. Instead you are holding a rope that your buddy on the other end of the people mover is holding. If he pulled on the rope slightly and tried to move you forward, the conveyer belt would move back and you would stay stationary. However, if he pulled on the rope hard and fast enough, he would eventually begin to get you to move forward. This is because at some point, when you can overcome the inertia of you and the bike and the friction in the wheel bearings, all the movement of the conveyer belt will do will spin the wheels and have no affect on your movement. In other words, if you had completely frictionless wheels, the movement of the conveyer would do nothing to affect your movement; a truly frictionless object would exert NO FORCES. Conversely, a 100% friction object would mean that your buddy couldn’t get you to budge (i.e. you are attached to belt). Since real world wheels fall somewhere in between friction and frictionless, there is some point of force/thrust, in which you can overcome the friction and inertial forces holding you back and eventually move (aka plane takes off).

Another way to look at it is, suppose the belt is moving you backwards. You would move backwards at the same speed of the belt. Unless the belt spun back so fast that it overcame your inertial force and the friction of the wheels. In which case, your wheels would just spin and you would stay in place. Think of a table cloth on a table with all the plates and utensils on it. If I pull the cloth slowly, the dishes will move. If I pull it fast enough, the plates don’t move as the cloth is removed. The cloth overcomes the inertial and frictional forces holding the plates down to the table. So going back to the belt moving backwards example. If I hold on to a rope tied to a tree as the belt moves backwards then I would be stationary. No matter how fast the conveyer belt moves, I won’t go anywhere because I’m holding myself stationary. The force exerted by the rope is the frictional and inertial forces of me and the bike. If I start “climbing” the rope, I can actually move forward, even if the conveyer belt was moving at infinite speed.

The reason this question is so debatable and such a brain buster is because given the information, the question is impossible to answer.If the plane can not generate enough thrust to overcome the frictional losses of the wheels, inertial energy of the plane and generate enough speed for proper lift, then the plane can’t take off. If the plane can generate enough thrust to overcome the frictional losses, inertia and speed required for lift, then it will take off. However, we don’t know the frictional losses, weight of the plane or the thrust that the plane can output. Without that information, we don’t have enough raw data to give a proper justifiable answer. If someone tries to make a definitive answer one way or the other, they are wrong. There is simply not enough information to be able to answer the question properly.

(And yes, I am an engineer) :smile:

I don't know for sure but I would guess the plane doesn't take off assuming it's a jet or in a prop configuration that does not force air over the wings.

For the plane to generate lift, it needs to have air passing over the wings. If the plane is essentially sitting still on the runway, there is no lift being generated no matter how hard those thrusters are pushing. How is the lift to be generated if it's not moving?

Tell me if this is a fair comparison... A kite flies by the same principle. So say you are able to run fast enough pulling the kite along it flies. But if you were on a treadmill running as fast as you can the kite doesn't fly since you are standing still.

Or how about this. On a carrier, I believe a jet fires off its thrusters at or near full thrust while being held back. If it didn't have the hydraulic launch system, it would simply plunge into the ocean because it cannot move fast enough by the end of the runway to generate lift. But it gets a massive slingshot launch from that hydraulic system to get it up to the speed where the wings generate enough lift for flight. So conversely, couldn't you ask if a jet was held still with its engines going full blast and you let it go, would it immediately lift off?

I don't know, seems simple enough to me but maybe there's some advanced physics playing here that I don't understand.</pre>
Yes this is true.
But older style prop push air over the wing's as the suck air from the front but the air is to littel to give lift.

So it's still NO

It depends, how long is the conveyer belt? :tongue: If its not longer than effective minimum takeoff roll it won't matter.

*like someone else said, assuming it can overcome the 'treadmill' and gain sufficient airspeed. Ground speed is irrelevant.*

Back