• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is carfax worth the money?

I'm from germany and want to import a NSX. I have a few offers to purchase a 02+ NSX. I'm considering to buy a carfax account. Is carfax worth the money? What is a alternative?

I'm from germany and want to import a NSX. I have a few offers to purchase a 02+ NSX. I'm considering to buy a carfax account. Is carfax worth the money? What is a alternative?

It is worth it, but you still need a visual inspection of the car by a professional mechanic.

It can find weird issues. I did a carfax on a car that had a mileage error. Something like it was serviced in 2005 with 30,000 miles and servied in 2006 with 20,000 miles. Things like that you want to know.

Like said above I would also have Acura look the car over, do compression checks, etc and fax you the results. If you pay to have it done, the seller shouldn't mind.

Thanks for your inputs.
I agree with a visual inspection. A former NSX owner and prime member is willing to do a PPI before I spend the money for a plane ticket.

I think in your case a investment in a through check up is a smart move. Carfax is not that expensive but it does not always tell a full story. A autobody shop familiar with the Nsx is your best friend. As long as the motor is good maintenace things can always be done later and factored into the price

Autocheck is superior. First off, it finds more things. Second of all, you get it for two months for less than it costs with 1 month with Carfax!

Lastly, you only need your email address to log-in...
In other words, Carfax is a complete rip off. Complete ripoff.

"Negative!"

+1

I know of 2 incidence where 2 different cars were in severe accidents, they were not reported to the DMV (where carfax extracts most of their accident history from), the cars were fixed (one of them was sold and the other is still under the same owner who ran a carfax a year later to see no report of the accident in both cars).

At least the cars were both fixed by the best shops and there were no shortcuts. Visually the most discerning car mechanic couldn't tell if either cars were in an accident. But for those that are into collecting a car with "original paint" and body panels, then that would be an issue.

Back