• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

is it too much to ask, when changning out tires...can they not F&%k up my rims?

Guys...I just had to vent this out, but why is it that each time I take my car in to get tires changed, they always somehow jacked up the lip on my wheels. I have asked and asked even begged that they be careful and once the car goes to the back where I cannot be at....the carelessness starts. I'm no mechanic nor a tire expert guy but are there tools they can use other than them nasty ruthless metal rods?

Re: is it too much to ask, when changning out tires...can they not F&%k up my rims?

It's not just the tool, but the tool behind the tool. Some installers don't care, or don't know how to care.

I had great luck over at Tire Central in San Gabriel. Donald and his guys mounted, dismounted and remounted my tires on the 19" Advans without as much as a scuff on the wheels nor on the tires.

Last edited:
Re: is it too much to ask, when changning out tires...can they not F&%k up my rims?

Watch out for a new tire mechanic. :)

Yikes, been there, done that. I guess it takes some searching to find a good shop. There are some machines and then there are some techniques. One guy I go to here said he mounts the tire upside down. Wheel facing down, and mounts the tire from the inside of the wheel. This guy also wrapped his tools with some soft tape or something so he didn't scratch the inside of the wheels where the lug nuts go.

awhile ago when I mounted some tires for the wheels on my audi, I was super anal and made sure they cannot scratch up the rims, even told them i'll pay extra. I than saw that they had some plastic pieces they place over them claws or gripper thingy on the machine and the stick or rod he used had some plastic cover on it.

I should of just waited and gone to that shop, but because my tire had a nail in it and air pressure was being lost, I was in a rush for repairs. Still, if you were a tire guy and see a set of shiny nicely polish rims, wouldn't you have the common since to tell yourself..."I better be care with these?"

The bad taste in my mouth towards mechanics has not gone away...especially ones in Westminster and Santa Ana, CA. Careless idiots!!!

A shiny set of wheels does not automatically trigger common sense in some of these guys. Before I found Tire Central, I once took my car to America's Tire in Pasadena for tires. Went in with clean, unscratched iForged wheels; came out with gouged iForged wheels.

Check with Eric @ Supremepowerparts in Placentia. He is the owner and only does the low profile tires/high end wheels himself. He has the latest $$ machines to minimize contact w/ the wheel. His website:
www.supremepowerparts.com
Tell him I sent ya'
Jeff

Easy way to fix this.

Grease palms.

Talk to the tech who is going to work on your wheels - NOT his boss , it does no good.

Give the tech a tip BEFORE he works on your wheels and promise a tip afterwords if he keep things like when you brought it in.

Works everytime. :biggrin:

You would think....

You should post up the name of the shop so others won't have the same experience.

I just had new tires put on my wheels. I talked to the manager at my local tire store before hand to make sure they could do the work without any damage. I took pictures of each wheel before I took them in to prove what condition they were in. I also talked to the tech and said that I would appreciate it if he could be as carefull as possible. They didn't put a nick or scratch on any of the wheels. I was very happy and tipped the guy afterwards. I will bring them more business in the future.

what types/brand of machines will not do damage (assuming proper use)?

This is the machine they used on mine...

From their website... "The Tiger TC-950 tire changer machine never contacts rim this keeps those rims scratch free."
F2408028

http://equiptool.com/i-365924-tiger-model-rim-clamp-tire-changer-up-to-28-wheel-tc-950.html

Last edited:

Check with Eric @ Supremepowerparts in Placentia. He is the owner and only does the low profile tires/high end wheels himself. He has the latest $$ machines to minimize contact w/ the wheel. His website:
Tell him I sent ya'
Jeff

I second Supreme Power, especially for BMW. Eric put some 25 series tires on my 20" wheels without scratching. I even helped him do it. He will charge extra for super low profile tires... Next week, we're putting some 19" rubber on my new wheels.

Sorry to hear about your wheels. I too also have the same worry. Some of those guys just don't care. It is just another job for them to do regardless of the kind of wheels. And it is just a PITA if you try to make them pay for the damages. They will most definitely deny it.

Tell him I sent ya'
Jeff

I use to go to supremepowerparts when I had my TT and A4. After the audi phase, I stop since I thought they only specialize in audis.

Easy way to fix this.

Grease palms.

Talk to the tech who is going to work on your wheels - NOT his boss , it does no good.

Give the tech a tip BEFORE he works on your wheels and promise a tip afterwords if he keep things like when you brought it in.

Works everytime. :biggrin:

I grease every since time the don't put a scratch on it. This time, I think the shop just didn't give a damn about anything.

You would think....

You should post up the name of the shop so others won't have the same experience.

Just avoid all shops in the Westminster, Garden Grove, and Santa Ana areas as these location seem to be where I'm having all my car issues with idiot grease monkeys.

here's advice: if you have a language barrier and you can't seem to communicate with the shop owner or manager.....run out of the place and never look back. Also, if they are playing cards, smoking while working on other people's car, and pickin' their nose while they are talking to you...run. If they are eating with one leg up on their chair or doing a FOB squat, RUN. If they are wearing slippers, RUN.

Sorry for the venting guys.....but I really can't stand some of the mechanics I have had a few unfortunate experience with. All these F$%kers think they are Einstein and are the only qualify techs that can work on cars.

Why should you have to give a guy a tip for doing is f*&^ing job?

I live in a small town where most places cannot handle 19" rims. I told the guy at one shop that Dodge trucks come with 20" rims. How would you handle this? He said, "I would not be able to sell him tires". I about crapped myself when I heard that.

I just had a set off BBS rims straightened and painted for $800. I wanted Goodyears GS-D3s put on as I like they way they perform on the NSX and wanted them for my DD. Believe it or not, the best place in town to get the tires was Sam's Club. I even became a member just to buy the tires and warranty. Which was much cheaper than TireRack after shipping and local mounting.

I carried all four rims into the service area and told the guy I did not want any scratches, chips, etc and could he handle this simple request? He told me they had the latest machines and training just for low profile tires. Went to pick the rims up and all four had light scratches on lip. I went completely batch shit on the manager and was about to break my foot off in is ass when he told me they were insured. Sam's club paid the entire bill to get the rims repaired. Plus, they even gave me gas money to drive them to the repair shop 45 miles away. This was when gas was $4 a gallon last year. When I called the Sam's Club insurance number, it said, and I quote, "Press 1 for damage caused in one of our automotive facilities"! WTF is going on here?!!!! They have an option for auto claims?!!! How about firing ever last retard and get someone in there that gives two *&^%# about customer's stuff??

So, I got every last penny I spent back and then some. The hassle sucked of course, but I was satisified with the outcome. The idea of someone working on any of my cars makes me sick to my stomach.

Sorrry to hear about your experience but welcome to the club!

I tip people when they do a great job because I am generous. It was only $10 but hey it's the thought. I told the guy to buy himself a 6 pack for a job well done.

I know of one guy who brought in his car for a tire change and they BROKE the rims. High dollar lightweight ones. They convinced him they all crack over time and sold him a new set.

I tip people when they do a great job because I am generous. It was only $10 but hey it's the thought. I told the guy to buy himself a 6 pack for a job well done.

I thought you looked like a nice guy! :smile:

Why should you have to give a guy a tip for doing is f*&^ing job?

I live in a small town where most places cannot handle 19" rims. I told the guy at one shop that Dodge trucks come with 20" rims. How would you handle this? He said, "I would not be able to sell him tires". I about crapped myself when I heard that.

I just had a set off BBS rims straightened and painted for $800. I wanted Goodyears GS-D3s put on as I like they way they perform on the NSX and wanted them for my DD. Believe it or not, the best place in town to get the tires was Sam's Club. I even became a member just to buy the tires and warranty. Which was much cheaper than TireRack after shipping and local mounting.

I carried all four rims into the service area and told the guy I did not want any scratches, chips, etc and could he handle this simple request? He told me they had the latest machines and training just for low profile tires. Went to pick the rims up and all four had light scratches on lip. I went completely batch shit on the manager and was about to break my foot off in is ass when he told me they were insured. Sam's club paid the entire bill to get the rims repaired. Plus, they even gave me gas money to drive them to the repair shop 45 miles away. This was when gas was $4 a gallon last year. When I called the Sam's Club insurance number, it said, and I quote, "Press 1 for damage caused in one of our automotive facilities"! WTF is going on here?!!!! They have an option for auto claims?!!! How about firing ever last retard and get someone in there that gives two *&^%# about customer's stuff??

So, I got every last penny I spent back and then some. The hassle sucked of course, but I was satisified with the outcome. The idea of someone working on any of my cars makes me sick to my stomach.

Sorrry to hear about your experience but welcome to the club!

Sam's Club eh... How about Cosco? lol

Back