• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is it worth buying a 1991 NSX automatic with 183K miles for $18000 ???

Hi there,

I am thinking of getting a 1991 NSX Automatic with 183K miles. I know the miles are fairly high but the price is $18000. I ran a carfax and it is clean with no accidents and it was serviced regularly which stated on the carfax. Anyone have any opinions on this purchase??? I am worried about the mileage but did hear about these engines going over 350K miles from some owners but of course if taken care of properly. Please give me some feedback on your thoughts. Hope to hear from you soon and thank you all.

P.S.
I am still looking for a 1991-1992 automatic and not too worried about high mileage except for the one stated on top. So if any of you have an NSX for sale or know of one please let me know. Thank you again. :biggrin:

Hay
416-602-9836

[email protected]

Not a bad deal, The type of driving with the steering, suspension components, and overall neglect may come in play. Whats your intentions with the car, dd, weekend warrior, show car? That stuff matters.

Good luck with the search.

Can you afford to fix it? It's very expensive to fix.

Hey...I bought a 1991 automatic with 200,000 km...and it is a phat and sic car!!:tongue: I made sure that the timing belt, water pump and cam seals had been done as well as all belts and a tune up! Check the undercarriage and make sure that there is no rust and check the interior of the car and see how it has been taken care of. If the interior is ripped up..pass on the car.

Dam:cool:

+1000 on the TB/WP service. Theres 2 grand right there. Also check the site glass on the AC drier while the AC is on. If theres bubbles then theres another huge expense. Their prone to have AC leaks.

Looking for info on High mileage NSX's?

Check this thread.

Go to post # 93,102, and especially # 121

Wow, thanks for this story. It sounds like the last story he got a great deal and he fixed it up and it drives all good again. I guess its costly to do so. The engine is all good just the other parts under the hood are the problems. I dunno, still scratching my head on this. I know its a decent price and it has been taken care of but nothing lasts forever. :confused:

I purchased a 92 auto with 170,000m. Luckily I was given recipts and paperwork since the first day it was born. However a few months after I had it, it developed a cry for help as I had to replace just about every seal in the engine along with a few cv boots. Im planning on doing the timming belt and water pump at 180,000m. As long as you keep up on the maintenance you should be ok. It puzzels me though why people care so much about milaege, when they should care more about maintenance records. I can't remember ever asking a person that owned a 69 camaro or older mustang or stingray how many miles are on it. I was just happy to see it. Id still do a compression check before driving off with the car, something I failed to do.:smile:

I purchased a 92 auto with 170,000m. Luckily I was given recipts and paperwork since the first day it was born. However a few months after I had it, it developed a cry for help as I had to replace just about every seal in the engine along with a few cv boots. Im planning on doing the timming belt and water pump at 180,000m. As long as you keep up on the maintenance you should be ok. It puzzels me though why people care so much about milaege, when they should care more about maintenance records. I can't remember ever asking a person that owned a 69 camaro or older mustang or stingray how many miles are on it. I was just happy to see it. Id still do a compression check before driving off with the car, something I failed to do.:smile:

Thanks for the response. How much did it costs to replace the seals in the engine and also the CV boots???

just remember with mileage on the engine comes mileage on the chassis, and that means other things are going to be worn down too. multilink suspension, transmission, bearings, etc.
check compression, test drive the car, if everything seems in order and you really dont mind having high mileage, go for it. but 350K mi on ANY car is outside the norm. dont expect it. and make sure you have cash stored incase anything major fails.

but with all that said, autos tend to be in better condition it seems.

The cost? Well, sacramento neillo acura charged a little over $2000.00 just for the seals. And they replaced just about all the seals. And I want to say they charged me $400 for both rear axel cv boots. I paid to change out the ignition box, fuel pump relay and master cylinder and those I had done at Driving Ambitions for around $1000.00. But everything I replaced I know won't have to be changed for another 10 or so years (I hope).

Don't put alot of faith in a CarFax. A lot of cars get repaired from accidents and the Carfax shows clean. Get a reputable NSX tech to go over the car and do a compression leak down test. Verify all the service history. Without doing that, I wouldn't touch it.

Don't put alot of faith in a CarFax. A lot of cars get repaired from accidents and the Carfax shows clean. Get a reputable NSX tech to go over the car and do a compression leak down test. Verify all the service history. Without doing that, I wouldn't touch it.

Words of wisdom..............

I have a Porsche that I know was in an accident (dealer disclosed) and the carfax shows no accidents. Carfax will only know of the accident if it was reported.

$18000 for nsx with 183k miles. Wow thats kind of high price isn't it? Just for reference I bought mine with 37k miles for $28k. I had all the maintence records and all the work was done at the Acura dealer. I would definelty make sure that the auto tranny is healty and do a compression and leak down test.

$18000 for nsx with 183k miles. Wow thats kind of high price isn't it? Just for reference I bought mine with 37k miles for $28k. I had all the maintence records and all the work was done at the Acura dealer. I would definelty make sure that the auto tranny is healty and do a compression and leak down test.

You got an awesome deal. That is really really really low miles. :smile:

Yes it was I allready have put 15k miles on it since I have had it. The previous owner only drove it 2k miles a year:eek: 15 years and paid 86k for it new when they bought it. (it only had one owner a female Dr). I have the origanal bill of sale. But also I been to Chicago, Vegas, LA, Arizona,etc in it. I drive it alot more this year. But seriously you can find one under 32k for a low mile nsx just have to be patient and wait till you decide. But make sure you get what you like. You are the one that has to live with it. I will keep an eye out for you. Goodluck Bro. Its a addicting car and and you will definetly pi$$ your wife off since you spend all you time and money in it haha. My wife amazed how much time I spend reading up on these cars.

Yes it was I allready have put 15k miles on it since I have had it. The previous owner only drove it 2k miles a year:eek: 15 years and paid 86k for it new when they bought it. (it only had one owner a female Dr). I have the origanal bill of sale. But also I been to Chicago, Vegas, LA, Arizona,etc in it. I drive it alot more this year. But seriously you can find one under 32k for a low mile nsx just have to be patient and wait till you decide. But make sure you get what you like. You are the one that has to live with it. I will keep an eye out for you. Goodluck Bro. Its a addicting car and and you will definetly pi$$ your wife off since you spend all you time and money in it haha. My wife amazed how much time I spend reading up on these cars.

I am not married yet but it took me awhile to convince my girlfriend about it. She does not like flashy cars but I always loved this car since day one. I do appreciate your time in keeping an eye for me. Thank you bro. :biggrin:

I am not married yet but it took me awhile to convince my girlfriend about it. She does not like flashy cars but I always loved this car since day one. I do appreciate your time in keeping an eye for me. Thank you bro. :biggrin:

It sounds like it's time for you to get a new car and a new girlfriend.

Back