• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

is there any rhyme or reason to which Vins are under recall?

So, after being off of this forum for a few years and going through a few cars (lotus, AMG GTS, 2 (R8s, falling in love with one:biggrin: :) I now want a Gen 2 NSX...a nice, low mile one. But as i search, i'm finding that about half are requiring the
recall work to be done, so i'm steering away from those. Quite honestly, i'm shocked to see how many are sitting at dealerships (used) while needing the recall work to be done but they aren't doing it! why is that?:confused: it's doubtful anyone will buy a
125k plus car that needs all of that done...i'm sure not! So, back to my question, is there any rhyme or reason to why "some" 2017s/18 need the work done and some dont? did they have one crew of people working on certain vin number vehicles that didn't do their work properly? i've written down a lot of vin numbers that require the work but it's not like they all flow in some sort of numerical order...i don't see it but then again, this isn't my expertise so forgive me if I sound like a complete dork... i'm just curious why ALL 2017s didn't need it...
on another note, Happy New Yr to you all:smile:....i see a lot of people are still here that were here some years ago....ah, loyalty is so impressive! :) (i was loyal to the audi group, lol..) :wink:

Very good questions.......

My Acura dealer service manager told me that, when a car comes in for a recall repair, Acura tells the dealer what they will pay them for the repair. He said that Acura always lowballs the dealer on hours/payment for the jobs. I don't recall the exact numbers but he said he thought it would take double the hours that Acura had allocated to do the job. I asked why they did that and he just shrugged his shoulders and said that they had no recourse and would lose money on these deals, but that's the way it is........ Yikes.
So, I'm guessing that this is the way it is everywhere and dealers probably don't want to spend the time or loss on the car??? They probably don't want to spend the time/effort on a car that may sit on the lot for a year...... or maybe the car has to be owned by an individual to be eligible for the recall, but I'm guessing the dealer won't do it until it is sold.

I would think that if you found a particular used car to look at, you could call Acura or the dealer and they could tell you if the car has any outstanding recalls and if they have been performed. It might even be a bargaining chip to get a decrease in price.....

I cannot answer part 2 of your question. My car was built Sept. of 17' and mine did not require the brake light or thermostat replacement.
It's possible that defective parts ordered early may not have been installed until later in the production run. It does appear to be random rather than sequential.

Good luck on your search, and hope that you find the right car for you......

Last edited:
thank you very much NSX878...that helps a lot. Rather shocking that Acura doesn't pay them for the correct time performing the job...but this helps me understand better why there's some nice used, low mile cars at various dealerships around the nation. I don't believe they'll sell with an open recall...especially since the job is such a big one and mechanics can't be trusted to do it right because it's not a normal thing to be doing to the car. The experience level isn't there...there might be a guy who's done one or two per dealership if that..
anyway thanks for taking the time...:) happy driving!
April

Not sure why any NSXs are sitting at dealers that still have open campaigns on them. The car can not legally be sold until the work is completed. So while yes we get hosed on the labor reimbursement, it’s still worth our while to do the work and make the car sellable. If this were a couple months ago, I could understand why some inventory cars went untouched, because customer cars came first. But the majority of the cars in customers hands have been dealt with by now.

If you were to say that a car is sitting on a broker’s lot, then I can maybe see why the recalls haven’t been done. But even some of those cars still get sent to the Acura dealer to get the work done because they don’t want to have something lingering over the car and have to discount the price.

Not sure why any NSXs are sitting at dealers that still have open campaigns on them. The car can not legally be sold until the work is completed. So while yes we get hosed on the labor reimbursement, it’s still worth our while to do the work and make the car sellable. If this were a couple months ago, I could understand why some inventory cars went untouched, because customer cars came first. But the majority of the cars in customers hands have been dealt with by now.

If you were to say that a car is sitting on a broker’s lot, then I can maybe see why the recalls haven’t been done. But even some of those cars still get sent to the Acura dealer to get the work done because they don’t want to have something lingering over the car and have to discount the price.

wow, that's interesting to know! i didn't realize the car can not be sold until work is completed. but yes, i'm compiling a list of individual cars that are new and used (some are used only due to dealer cashing in on the 30k deal) and while a lot of them are at acura dealerships, some are at other dealerships, lexus, porsche etc across the country. I have about 18 vin numbers so far with open recalls while listed for sale...and they do not disclose that it has an open recall, you have to research for yourself! I believe that is why a lot of those cars have not sold...
thanks for your input!

wow, that's interesting to know! i didn't realize the car can not be sold until work is completed. but yes, i'm compiling a list of individual cars that are new and used (some are used only due to dealer cashing in on the 30k deal) and while a lot of them are at acura dealerships, some are at other dealerships, lexus, porsche etc across the country. I have about 18 vin numbers so far with open recalls while listed for sale...and they do not disclose that it has an open recall, you have to research for yourself! I believe that is why a lot of those cars have not sold...
thanks for your input!

Have you been checking those vin#'s at the NHTSA site for the open recalls or calling Acura directly?

Have you been checking those vin#'s at the NHTSA site for the open recalls or calling Acura directly?

i have looked them all up under the NHTSA and followed up/double check with acura.com it tells you if they have either recall or both due on vin specific cars..

There is no rhyme or reason as to why the VINs are so random and some only have one recall. My car had the thermostat failure at around 2800mi. I had a few problems with the brakes and regen, but nothing was found. Then the recall for the 3rd brakes light made sense to me. And the gas tank recall has been a disaster for me.

There is no rhyme or reason as to why the VINs are so random and some only have one recall. My car had the thermostat failure at around 2800mi. I had a few problems with the brakes and regen, but nothing was found. Then the recall for the 3rd brakes light made sense to me. And the gas tank recall has been a disaster for me.

DocL, trust me i have read your posts about your car issue... it's heartbreaking. I'd be livid....i hope there's some light at the end of your tunnel. As for Napleton, i was looking through autotrader at some of the used one's listed and saw there are two white ones there priced pretty low....then i saw the reviews/feedback on these two Napleton dealerships....:confused::eek: thanks for sharing your story and info here...it's helpful

DocL, trust me i have read your posts about your car issue... it's heartbreaking. I'd be livid....i hope there's some light at the end of your tunnel. As for Napleton, i was looking through autotrader at some of the used one's listed and saw there are two white ones there priced pretty low....then i saw the reviews/feedback on these two Napleton dealerships....:confused::eek: thanks for sharing your story and info here...it's helpful

The white ones they have are very low optioned, so not a great deal. I also would suggest giving another dealership your money. They don’t deserve even $0.50 of your hard earned money. They ruined a perfectly good car.

Back