• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this a decent price? '92 with 200k+ miles

Saw that one a little earlier too. Wonder what the history is behind it and if the paint job was done nicely.

If the compression/leakdown test has decent numbers (35k on the new engine is probably impossible to verify) and the transmission feels okay you probably won't lose on this one. Wonder how many thousands it would take to get the suspension up to par.

2,300 for a new trans and clutch? really? I thought it would be more then that.

I figure it would cost a lot more. I chatted with him and was talking money. I then got some better pictures and the vin and it was branded for whatever reason so i passed on the deal. He could provide no proof of engine or any previous maintenance records. Take it for what its worth I guess once you get into a 200k mile car with a color change AND a branded title just loses any hope of resell.

Last edited:
I wonder the quality of the paint job, and if the jams were painted.

THe jams and front trunk were painted but not the engine bay, car was originally red. Paint looks decent, IMO its hard to sink that kind of money with issues,200k+ and a color change and a salvage title on top of that.

I have seen cars with CLEAN titles and similar mileage go for around $16k, so this guy is dreaming if he is looking for that kind of money with a branded title car.

I figure it would cost a lot more. I chatted with him and was talking money. I then got some better pictures and the vin and it was branded for whatever reason so i passed on the deal. He could provide no proof of engine or any previous maintenance records. Take it for what its worth I guess once you get into a 200k mile car with a color change AND a branded title just loses any hope of resell.

What is the VIN? I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

What is the VIN? I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

He didn't mention it, I chatted with him for 4-5 days and no mention until I pulled a carfax. I have more pics as well. I just think his asking price for a 200k mile car with problems and a repaint AND a salvage title was to much. No receipts for engine either. VIN is
jh4na1159nt000148
I'd prob still buy it if it was less...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acur..._Cars_Trucks&hash=item336d947c34#ht_500wt_583
on ebay now,no receipts to prove engine replacement. It goes from engine replaced to engine rebuilt....

Last edited:
I have a '92 and unless you are willing to crawl around and check the numbers on the tranny, be prepared for a tranny rebuild. There was a manufacturer defect in a snap ring and it WILL bust eventually, Mine busted at 45K miles but it was over the five year warranty so Acura/Honda wouldn't do a thing to help out. It ended up costing me a boat load of money because the case had to be replaced.

BIG D posted the following links:

Here is the range of effected transmissions.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubles...ansmission.htm

For those who want to find the transmission number...

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/engi...ission_vin.htm

If I had to do it over I would try for one with the fixed lights and 6 speed tranny. Of course if you also have some extra money.

Last edited:
P.S. I started a body shop over ten years ago and I will tell you that Carfax is a bunch of crap and almost every car that has had prior damage that has come into my shop showed a clean Carfax. Some were right off the dealer lots with less than 100 miles on them and they were sold as NEW.

One I just saw was a "brand new" Bentley! Can you imagine the paint peeling on something "brand new?"

I would get a three day right of rescission in the purchase contract and spend the $150.00 (max) to your own TRUSTED mechanic to go over everything. There have been three cars that I turned down after the checks because of problem. Two of them had compression problems. INSIST that your mechanic does an actuual compression test and shows you the numbers.:eek:

Last edited:
Tranny and clutch for $2300? Even if you replace the tranny with a rebuilt one from SOS, you are looking at $3750 for the tranny plus $1695 for the clutch, so $5445 without labor. Labor can be anywhere from $600 to $1200. With the other problems, you could easily be into this for $27,000 before it was close to being right, and you would still have a salvage title.

There are plenty of better cars out there right now

Tranny and clutch for $2300? Even if you replace the tranny with a rebuilt one from SOS, you are looking at $3750 for the tranny plus $1695 for the clutch, so $5445 without labor. Labor can be anywhere from $600 to $1200. With the other problems, you could easily be into this for $27,000 before it was close to being right, and you would still have a salvage title.

There are plenty of better cars out there right now

I thought it was a bit on the high side, with the three mentioned problems. He didn't seem super forth coming with the problems either always single word answers or beating around the bush and no mention of title issues. I honestly think its 10,000 car.

Here is the range of effected transmissions.
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubles...ansmission.htm

For those who want to find the transmission number...

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/engi...ission_vin.htm
Please refrain from using links to the old FAQ section of Prime. All FAQ information was migrated to the Wiki and it was Lud's desire to remove the FAQ due to out of date information and a heavy maintenance load. Neither of the above links work so he may have already removed the FAQ. Information on the range of affected transmissions and how to find the numbers can now be found in the "Purchasing an NSX" section of the Wiki .. in the subsection called "Some Important Numbers".

I know someone who paid 16k for an NSX with "said" low miles but rebuilt title. He is always paying for little things most NSX owners would otherwise forget about.

You are purchasing a boat load of problems. If you can not get a true story on the history, either walk away or offer 10k for the car!

I know someone who paid 16k for an NSX with "said" low miles but rebuilt title. He is always paying for little things most NSX owners would otherwise forget about.

You are purchasing a boat load of problems. If you can not get a true story on the history, either walk away or offer 10k for the car!

HE's fairly firm at his price and thinks its a deal at 16k. I figure honestly its about a 11-12k car.

I paid about 16k for a 91 with 75k had a salvage title due to theft recovery I picked it up in arizona changed the oil and checked the fluids when I got there and drove it about 10hrs to a friends house it drove like brand new car from the dealer the car did need some "tlc" like random plastics from the interior ash tray some new wheels besides that car was good. Im just putting up my story for reference I think 16k for a car with 200k is a bit steep for a salvaged title car

I paid about 16k for a 91 with 75k had a salvage title due to theft recovery I picked it up in arizona changed the oil and checked the fluids when I got there and drove it about 10hrs to a friends house it drove like brand new car from the dealer the car did need some "tlc" like random plastics from the interior ash tray some new wheels besides that car was good. Im just putting up my story for reference I think 16k for a car with 200k is a bit steep for a salvaged title car

With a color change.

Back