• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this a SCAM??? Anyone know this cars history?

Here is the email threads I have been getting from the "owner". Is anyone in Hartford, CT familiar with this? I have also heard about "SHADY" escrow companies too. seems VERY fishy.

Khue,

The car is located in Hartford,CT in storage of the shipping company, you can pick up or I can have it shipped.
I am not able to complete the transaction in person because I am for the moment out of country,Poland,with my job. From this reason I recommend escrow services,
(https://www.escrow.com/solutions/vehicle/escrow.asp ) , because we will be both protected and you will have 10 days inspection period, and if you accept the car, upon your confirmation they will release the funds to me, or in case the car is not suitable for you from any reason,I will take back the car on my cost and you will be 100 % refunded.
I agree to take the car to an authorized Acura Dealer for inspection, I agree to pay half of the fees , I think all the inspection's costs are about $100.
Please let me know if you agree because I have another person ready to buy but you were interested first and I am a man of my word.
I tried to call you but I am having problems with my nextel roaming calls service, you can try to reach me at 347 534 2691
VIN JH4NA1186TT000129

Thank you
Cassius

Khue Pham <[email protected]> wrote:
Can you send me some pics of the interior? HOw is the exterior paint,
faded? Do you have the original wheels? Also, what about when the top is
on, does it rattle at high speeds? Any water leaks during rain? Also the
VIN so I can check the carfax report? In terms of shipping, I am located in
Southern CAlifornina. Irvine, CA (92612). Feel free to check the rates
for shipping.

Thanks,
Khue

>From: Cassius Steers
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: Owner 58081807: AutoTrader.com: Vehicle Lead 1996 Acura NSX
>Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 05:42:11 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Khue,
>
> Excuse the delay in my reply , I was out of my office.
> Car's colour is red, there is a typo in the ad.
>The car is still for sale, the reason I am selling it is my divorce, I have
>a martial settlement to sell it by next week
> Comptech front spoiler,BBS wheels,never involved in a accident, never
>raced or driven improper, never seen winter weather, no mechanical issues,
>I have replaced the clutch 500 miles ago.
>If you are still interested we can arrange pickup or I can have the car
>shipped (I will need your shipping address in order to calculate fees)
>
> Thank you
>Cassius
>3104247586
>
>[email protected] wrote:
> ***VEHICLE LEAD***
>
>The following lead was generated from AutoTrader.com's web site at
>http://www.autotrader.com. The listing is provided by AutoTrader magazine.
>To view the vehicle, click the link below:
>http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=204976826
>
>
>VEHICLE INFORMATION
>Make: Acura
>Model: NSX
>Year: 1996
>Price: 22300
>Mileage: 78800
>Body Style: Coupe
>Color: Green
>Cylinders: 6 Cylinder
>Transmission: Manual
>Doors: Two Door
>Stereo: Unavailable
>Description: 1996 ACURA NSX, 78,800 mi, Goodyear Eagle F tires, five speed,
>stereo Bose, excellent condition inside out, smells like new, 100 % stock,
>never raced, have normal wear and blemishes, Dual power seats, tilt,
>$22,300, NEW HARTFORD, CT, 315-734-5542 (cw28gp)
>
>BUYER INFO
>Name: Khue Pham
>E-Mail Address: [email protected]
>Day Phone: (626) 862-4859
>Comments: Can you let me know if the NSX is still available? I am very
>interested in it. Also, the pic shows that the car is red, but in the
>description it says its green. Can you verify what is accurate? Thanks.
>
>
>Fraud Awareness Tips For Sellers:
>http://www.autotrader.com/research/shared/article_popup.jsp?article_id=12125

Yes, it's a scam.

Tell him you have a friend in Hartford who would like to take a look at it. See how he tries to weasel out of that.

Funny how he claims it's in Connecticut, whereas this listing, also on Autotrader, shows it at a legitimate "bricks and mortar" dealer in Alabama, where you can go there and inspect it:

Auto Connection
635 Eastern Blvd
Montgomery, AL 36117
(334) 396-8877

I've reported it to Autotrader. See how long it takes them to delete the listing.

Last edited:
yeah, thanks for the heads up. this guy has soooo many discrepencies in his emails. for one, he listed an Los Angeles telephone # in his email, then the one on the ad (not familiar with area code) is disconnected. Also doesnt directly answer any of my questions. His email also had a cust and paste "canned" response that was another font size. DARN, i guess if it's too good to be true, it is. $22K for a 96??? WOW, awesome deal if it were true. oh wells, the seach continues...

The same ole stories again.

Here are some of the key words they used in the scam.

"car in storage of the shipping company" and "escrow services"

Can't they be smarter and try something different by changing a different strategy.

Next time, email the fool and tell him that his email address is being traced by the ISP from the FBI. You should scare him a little bit.

Man, you guys are the best !!! :biggrin:

I think you should keep this guy "on the hook" and really piss him off. I read an Internet Scam Tale once where a guy in the Middle East was looking for money and a guy here in the USA kept telling him yes, and yes, and just give me a little more info.......... until he finally told the guy he knew all about his scam and brother was he pissed !!! :biggrin:

How about this eBay ad ???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-Acura-NSX-NSX-T-Burnt-Orange-MINT-Warranty_W0QQitemZ110011533864QQihZ001QQcategoryZ5337QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

NRG said:
Based on the seller's feedback info....the seller doesn't seem like a scam artist...looks legit. However, if anyone going to spend that much, then you better see the car in person before sending any type of money.

Sorry, I think I gave the wrong impression here. :redface:

I never meant the eBay item was/might be a "scam" - I was just asking anybody what they thought of the car/price/etc......

nsxtasy said:
I've reported it to Autotrader. See how long it takes them to delete the listing.
It was still listed late in the day yesterday, but it's gone now.

NSX-GUY said:
How about this eBay ad ???
What about it? I see four problems with it, and I didn't look all that closely: (1) It's a theft recovery car, so it will never be worth anywhere near as much as a car with a clean title and history. (2) The entire car has been repainted, probably poorly. (Cars with title problems rarely have the money spent on them to repair things properly, since it's not worth it.) (3) It has an unstated reserve price, so you really have no idea how much they're willing to sell it for; just because the current bid is USD19K doesn't mean that you can buy it for that amount. (4) Whatever the reserve price is, it's definitely over USD19K, and it's probably a lot more than a repainted problem title car is worth (which isn't much more than the current bid).

If you're looking at cars like that one, you probably want to buy an NSX but you can't afford to pay the purchase price for a decent one (mid twenties for a high-mileage car with potential problems, low thirties for a well-maintained clean one), which means you almost certainly can't afford to maintain it, either. I suggest you either consider a less expensive car, or work on saving your money until you can afford a decent NSX with enough money left over to maintain it and pay for any unexpected problems.

nsxtasy said:
If you're looking at cars like that one, you probably want to buy an NSX but you can't afford to pay the purchase price for a decent one (mid twenties for a high-mileage car with potential problems, low thirties for a well-maintained clean one), which means you almost certainly can't afford to maintain it, either. I suggest you either consider a less expensive car, or work on saving your money until you can afford a decent NSX with enough money left over to maintain it and pay for any unexpected problems.

Whoa,,,,,,, easy there big feller......... :eek:

I know you're the guru around here but let's not ass-u-me too much, OK ??? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

All I asked was what you (or anybody) thought about the car..... :wink:

NSX-GUY said:
Man, you guys are the best !!! :biggrin:

I think you should keep this guy "on the hook" and really piss him off. I read an Internet Scam Tale once where a guy in the Middle East was looking for money and a guy here in the USA kept telling him yes, and yes, and just give me a little more info.......... until he finally told the guy he knew all about his scam and brother was he pissed !!! :biggrin:

I've done that same thing a time or two. Drag it out over a long time and keep feeding them information giving the impression you are a serious buyer and want the car.
Doesn't phase them much though because they'll just relist it somewhere else and eventually reel an unsuspecting person in and get some $$ for it.:mad:

i wonder how much money these people actually make. a lot of people seem to think it's weird, but still aren't sure if it's a scam.

they must make somethin..... i wonder if they make more than me..... hmm :tongue:

thanks to a recent post in the off topic section, i've figured it all out. these scams are orchestrated by john hennessey.:tongue:

Funny guy, :biggrin: da 3dalus LOL LOL

Oster

I hate to admit it, but I came pretty close to sending this guy (or someone using a similar story) some money. I thought it would be okay because he referred me to escrow.com and had an answer for everyone concern I had. He was selling a 1991 or 1992 for $19K. He was in Greece for business and was selling the car because he was getting a divorce.

When I offered to drive 2.5 hours to take the car to a dealer rather than depositing money in escrow and having him pay to ship it (LOL) the car suddenly dissapeared from Autotrader.com and he quit communicating.

I endend up paying $37K for a 1996 NSX-T. I didn't get the deal of the century, but I feel like I paid a fair price for a great NSX.

Back