• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this supposed to be cool or....

It is very surprising many of you are getting upset over how someone "upgrades" their own personal car. It is their car! You didnt buy it for them! Let them modify upgrade and personalize at will! The reason I say surprising is that most of you are infact NSX owners. That alone shows your willingness to stand out in a crowd and to purchase something out of the ordinary. We are the 1% of the sports car world, and if that person wants to be the 1% of the 1% so be it. I stopped by the Cybernation grand opening and had a similar conversation with 2 different NSX owners and they seemed to share my views of "hey its my car and I will do anything I damn well please" I have been an NSX owner for a short time now and I am enjoying it very much. But, I would find it hard to believe that with another few years of ownership I could become so jaded or close minded (pronouced "purists"??) that I would look down upon a fellow owner for altering his car to look alitle different from the crowd. I personally think its great. To know that I am of maybe 2 or 3 in the world to look like that. A perfect example of this is when I first purchased my car it had a small crack in one of the tail lights, I put a post on here asking if anyone has seen clear tail lights for the NSX, (yes just like those ricers) and remember a post asking "Please God No" well being new to this I ignored it. Now after reading this page daily I can remain silent no longer. ITS MY CAR AND IF I WANT CLEAR TAIL LIGHTS I WILL BUY THEM. However nobody makes them :-( I even went so far as to try and have them custom made, but to no avail. I have since decided to go the JDM route...should I ask permission from the purists? Hell No like I said "Its my car, I paid for it, I'll do anything I damn well please. I am sincerly sorry for going on this type of rant but I think it needs to be made clear. Maybe it is the age difference between myself and some of the other NSX owners on here(the ones I have met in person seem to be great by the way) I myself have just turned 29..maybe I am going thru an early mid-life crisis...maybe I get tired of driving my black Lexus RX300 to work and seeing 3 at the stop light..(do you know how many RX300's are in florida? TONS!)I do know that I am truly amazed at what some of these "rice-boy" or "teeny weenies" are doing, these cars are incredible!!! putting turbos and intercoolers on stuff that only a year ago drove them to school...now they are putting out huge horsepower and look like they are straight off a Euro-race track ..many of which will blow the doors off your "pure" NSX...ok ok I'm done let the comments fly

------------------
'92 Black/Black #977

I will swap my Honda "H" for Jay H's Acura "A", and I will defenetly put it on upside down. just for the fun that no-one will understand what kind of car i have
biggrin.gif

------------------
Enjoying life at 8.000 RPM

You guys are killing me! My earlier post was purely for comical pleasure. Half of those "kids" are my close friends. If I didn't make fun of them, who would I make fun of? I suppose I was being serious when I said I would put a Peterbilt emblem on my hood too? Sorry for confusing you guys, but I was just trying to have fun with this one.

How did this thread turn into a ricer bash/defend thread? I can't find anywhere in the thread where someone bashes a kid for what he does to his car...... If it is my initial question that started it; I simply wanted to know if it was an accident or an intentional defacing. As it turns out, it seems to be an accident in most cases and that's just ridiculous. These body guys need to find new careers. That's amazing that they can be that stupid..

I personally like the "A" badge this way changed it from Grey to Red and I think everyones got there own opinion what to do with your car and you should do what you like best. As for souping up the NSX I think this car needs nothing cosmetic wise..huge Wings and Body Kits look stupid to me but to others there dont. I also had several cars almost all Imports and did just everything I could to the car I had at that time. I see alot of good cars and bad cars that most Teens soup up and some of them do deserve a hand some look terrible but hey you do with what you can afford. I got to two Import Car Shows and Drag Meets this Summer to watch and had the NSX needless to say it was a hit with the younger crowd. Being 43 years old I still enjoyed talking to alot of them about there cars and what they did to them. I remember one kid just freaking out over the car he never saw one in person and literally begged me for a ride he had a old Accord and said he only dreamed of owning a NSX some day so I gave him one he said he never would forget it and hey thats what I love about this car.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Not all European's only have H badges.

I have An H on my JDM Kaiser but as its an H turning it upside down is pointless ...

A NSX near me has a mugen badge.

A friend has a US NSX here in the UK and its upsetting him as nobody knows what the A is, he has even heard some people who walked past both our cars said the "H" was an origional and his "a" must be a kit-car replica !

B.T.W what are Rice-boys ? Is it derogatory? Does it refer to a type of person or someone who drives a cirtain type of car ?

I don't believe the Acura symbol is an "A" at all. The original design was based on a "caliper" symbol. You may note that the first batch of emblems on the NSX were changed to an updated one with a thin horizontal bar across. I see it as an updated "H" emblem retaining the original shape of the caliper design. Yes the logo looks like an "A" but I don't believe this to be the case at all in actuality. Many that I've spoken to at Honda directly state this to me all the time when I inquired about it.

BTW, my NSX is all Honda including front silver emblem, wheelcaps and taillights. The airbag is next as well as the cassette door to show "Honda Bose" on it. :)

Vytas

------------------
"The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." - Soichiro Honda

Originally posted by G_Man_Max:
B.T.W what are Rice-boys ?

Here's the definition posted on one website:

"What is a Rice Boy you ask? A Rice Boy is someone who tries to dress or "Rice-out" an otherwise slow car to make it appear as if it goes fast. If your car puts out less than 200 horsepower and bears a resembelance to this wallpaper, chances are you're a Rice Boy. Many Rice Boys tend to put bazooka-size exhaust tips, fog (rice) lights in the front air intakes, F40 spoilers, half-assed suspension kits, and dozens of performance or foregin language stickers."

Is it derogatory? Does it refer to a type of person or someone who drives a cirtain type of car?

The term derives from the origin of the custom import car trend in cars from Asia, and IMHO it refers to the cars themselves, and not any particular ethnicity of those who might be driving them.

That same website states, "Disclaimer: This is page is NOT a hate-monger or racist page. The purpose of this page is to be a straightforward humerous page using wit and not pretty boy graphics to poke fun at Rice Boy cars."

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 12 February 2002).]

geez, im a farmboy, not a riceboy, though im still not that sure what that means.

lets stop the pandering and say, there is a difference in owners.

some want to take this beautiful car and change its looks, and others are purists and think the car is beautiful as is.

where i grew up, some people took a vehicle and used it for what it was, and appreciated it for what it was. others took that vehicle and modified it for a specific purpose, or only for looks.

the people we thought were funny modified it only for looks. there was no purpose to the mod other than to be different.

although all were accepted, if you couldnt explain why you did that mod, you were funny. we might like it, we might hate it, but we wanted to know why you did that. if it didnt make sense, we thought you were funny. why change something for looks if it had no purpose. there is a gray area here, like wheels and miscellaneous small changes. but major mods without reason were a comment about you.

so, maybe im a purist, but if you change a car without any benefit other than looks(major mods), then i wonder why you didnt build your own car. i accept your choice, and may even enjoy it, but i will always wonder why.

let the sparks fly

ok pretty much, we have said.. people put the acura badge upside down because it resembles the honda badge, to be differnet bottom line, i know this because you can call me an 18 year old ricer. puaha
but yea, everyone has their own opinions, there is no mod that everyone will ever agree on, but we should just connect with whats most important, our common love for the car, the nsx. thats it thats what we shold focus on, not where everyone goes from there.

LOVIN THE NSX ALL DA TYM
peace guys

Originally posted by KGP:
Heck, I'd like to see a manufacture produce a car where they didn't think they had to plaster their logo on it. Especially on a car like the NSX. Everyone who might be in the market for one would know what it is, so why the logos. Or, make them optional.
cool.gif

With that said, manufactures logos don't upset me nearly like the dealer who thinks they have to plaster their god-ugly dealer logo on the rear of a car they sold.
mad.gif

You can order the BMW M5 "debadged" so no one knows you have a 400hp beast under the hood. Talk about the ultimate sleeper.

[This message has been edited by notslow (edited 13 February 2002).]

Originally posted by Vytas:
I don't believe the Acura symbol is an "A" at all. The original design was based on a "caliper" symbol.
Yep -- those who learned drafting in the pre-PC age, used these to prepare engineering drawings. Along the lines of the original "precision crafted performance" tagline that Acura used on initial launch.

Now, SOME calipers actually had a small threaded cross-member with a thumb-wheel to adjust it... this WOULD make it look like an "A"
biggrin.gif

Here's a new twist on this subject...

Awhile ago, I saw a NSX on eBay. The description made mention of the car's history. Seems there were partners in a company and they were doing so well that the two of them bought matching NSXs. One of them had the emblem mounted upside down to distinguish it from his partner's car.

True story...and no, I don't think they were "Riceboys"...

Back