• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this too much? Recomendation for paint in NOVA?

So I took my NSX in to get an estimate on paint work and this is what I was quoted:

To paint the front bumper and everything north of the top of the doors (all pillars, roof, exterior locks, etc) was $1900. There is no damage to these areas just good lod fashion sun damage.

I know good paint work doesn't come cheap, but $1900 for just a few surfaces? My buddy in FL has one of the better paint shops in the area and can repaint the entire car, fix any dings, and pull all removeable parts for proper prep and painting for $3500. He gives me a little bit of a break being a friend, but not a lot.

Should I just drive the car to him or can someone recommend a shop in the Marshall, Warrenton, Gainesville, Front Royal, etc area? I don't want to drive 2-3 hours to drop it off. I don't need a total repaint, but if I take it all the way to FL or it just makes sense cost wise, I will get it done.

This shop wanted $5500 for a total repaint.

Frankly, the price sounds pretty good to me but what do I know?
I contacted a shop in NoVa about a front bumber and hood repaint on an earlier NSX that I owned and got a $5500 estimate. The very best whole car repaint in this area that I have heard was $8000. I do not see how anyone can paint the car for the price you got; that is paint it correctly. My $.02

Last edited:
I don't think the full repaint price was too bad, but was suprised at the partial respray. Owner told me it would be no more than $400 per panel/roof/bumper etc. So that means I am paying about $200 to paint each little pillar and lock.

Maybe they are just helping me out on or steering me in the direction of the full repaint.

Sounds about right on price. However, I would suggest reaching out to Ben. Ben works closely with a paint shop that does TREMENDOUS work for a reasonable price, all of the prep work is done by Ben.

I would like to use Ben, but I am just way too limited with all my work travel these days so I am trying TI find something close to home.

Ben I appreciate the offer, but it is hard to commit without knowing where I will be price wise on the work and I don't want you to pick it up for just an estimate. I think I have found a shop locally that said they will do it for a reasonable price. Any chance us VA guys can talk you in to moving to our state? Haha just kidding everyone in MD!

I paid $1400 for a front bumper repaint alone. Then again, mine was pretty rough an needed a lot of TLC before it could be painted.

What is the main reason for you painting?

I have seen DJ's work an another local owner's NSX. He did amazing things that restored the paint rather then repaint the car. PM him with a response to his inquiry about why the need for a repaint and you'll get an honest answer about what he can do. Otherwise, go with Ben's guy. Two great choices, depending on what is needed.

I met someone recently that painted his black roof and pillars Red to match the rest of the car. Let me just tell you the paint work looked no better than Macco.
The color match was horrible! .......but I didn't have the heart to tell him.

Frankly, the price sounds pretty good to me but what do I know?
I contacted a shop in NoVa about a front bumber and hood repaint on an earlier NSX that I owned and got a $5500 estimate. The very best whole car repaint in this area that I have heard was $8000. I do not see how anyone can paint the car for the price you got; that is paint it correctly. My $.02

were both quotes from Wagon Works?

The front end painting was a Wagon Works quote.

It is in for paint as we speak. Decided to do all top surfaces; whole front bumper, lights, hood, roof, pillars, locks, window and door trim, trunk, and spoiler. Fingers and toes are crossed. Will post before and afters when done.

Man, I would of really loved to see what could of been done at saving your paint. It's amazing at how bad it can be, yet still be saved rather than resorting to painting. Either way, post your photos once done, best of luck!

Back