• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

JDM gunmetal oem wheel color/paint code

Just picked up a set of oem NSX wheels that Id like to get coated to match the JDM gunmetal color. Anyone know the paint code or a powder chip code thats close?

Buddy told me Kaiser silver but was under the impression the NA1 JDM wheels were darker than that...

Thanks guys.

There are two "gunmetal" codes for the NSX that were used over the years.

The first is "Solaris Silver" NH-536M. This is the OEM color for 1994-96 NSX wheels. It is a lighter gunmetal.

The second is called Washi Gray, which is a darker almost charcoal gunmetal. It is a JDM only wheel color, except for the 50 Zanardi NSXs sold here in the states, which also used it. The paint code is not confirmed, but an enterprising member in the UK tried "Pewter Gray Metallic" NH-537M and it matched perfectly to a JDM Type-S Washi Gray wheel. So, for re-finishing purposes, this code is your best choice.

I think the Solaris Silver looks amazing on a Black or Midnight Pearl NSX. Washi Gray looks great on Red, White or Long Beach Blue NSX's. Silver NSXs look best to me with the "Blades Silver" (machined bare aluminum) or the "BMW Silver" 02+ colors. Hope this helps.

Yep, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Since I have formula red I will be going with the "Pewter Gray Metallic" NH-537M. Thanks!

The solaris is too light for my liking, I prefer the darker gunmetal color especially on red but thanks for the picture. Im going to head to the coaters today and look at the some paint chips to match the pewter gray metallic.

Washi grey mystery...

There seems so be some bronze hue in the Zanardi NSX OEM/stock BBS wheels, as they give off a sheen/aura that's unmatched on other gun-metal wheels & finishes.

FWIW, Pewter Gray Metallic NH-537M was available on 4th gen. '90-'91 USDM Civics, 5th gen. '92 USDM Civic, and 4th gen. '90-'92 USDM Accords.

Here is the post by the UK member (senninha):

http://www.nsxprime.com/showpost.php?p=1051316&postcount=5

Also, here is a pic of his NH-537M wheel:

http://www.nsxprime.com/showpost.php?p=1283926&postcount=3

And to answer Tim's question, the info was right here on Prime, but it took a bit of time with the search button to find it. Also, if you go to www.paintscratch.com, you can find the OEM paint codes for any Honda/Acura. Fun fact - did you know that Pewter Gray Metallic was actually a body color available on the JDM 1991 NSX?

Last edited:
Found a powder color thats very very similar at the coaters today... just after looking at all the other colors am having second thoughts.

Being that Ill have two sets of wheels wondering if I should go a bit more aggressive or extreme with the color for fun.

The car is formula red which makes the color a bit more tough to pull off without looking cheesy... at least gunmetal is safe.

I wonder how these would look in bronze...

Found a powder color thats very very similar at the coaters today... just after looking at all the other colors am having second thoughts.

Being that Ill have two sets of wheels wondering if I should go a bit more aggressive or extreme with the color for fun.

The car is formula red which makes the color a bit more tough to pull off without looking cheesy... at least gunmetal is safe.

I wonder how these would look in bronze...

I understand the urge, but be careful with one-off colors. Below is my NSX. The wheels are OEM 02+, but the previous owner tried to replicate Washi Gray with a custom mix. They ended up adding way too much tan/bronze. Now I have tan wheels. :frown: Moreover, Mrs. Honcho says that I have to wait at least a year before I can spend the $ to have them refinished in Solaris Silver. I think your wheels will look great in Pewter Gray on Red. If you really want them to pop, get a set of 02+ in the OEM "BMW Silver" color. They really set it off on a red NSX.

0251.jpg

Thanks for the advice, and Im re-amped on the gunmetal after seeing this car... exactly what I was envisioning!

DSC00245.jpg

Other than the front and rear lip this is almost exactly what my car looks like including the painted roof cap.

Pewter Gray Metallic will look awesome on your red, especially with red "H" or "A" caps.

job done well!

Thanks for the advice, and Im re-amped on the gunmetal after seeing this car... exactly what I was envisioning!
That's an over-the-counter wheel paint rattle'can D.I.Y. job, as-per the owner! Looks great & presumably very cost effective. If/when I get some spare OEM/stock 16/17 or 17/17 wheels, I'll likely do the same.

Last edited:
If thats a duplicolor rattle can job then props to him haha. These will be sticking around for awhile so would like to have them more durable and coated.

Should be going in for coating next week long as they arrive sometime this week.

Ill have to figure out the center caps. Hopefully the factory ones are close enough in color I can just use those but if I have to make something so be it.

Figured I'd update. Sold the wheels to my dad and he put them on his s2k. Flat black with a polished face.

IMAG0138.jpg

How did I miss this thread?

Here is my NSX w/Zanardi wheels painted the color of the 1996 stock wheels which was similar to Solaris Silver.
If you wanted the stock Zanardi wheel color, which I did not, I can't see why you would need a code that at best will only give you a approximation. Just have someone match the color that knows how.
I can do it, so can others.
Here's my car:
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

BTW the stock Type "s" wheel is a lighter, brighter color.

Last edited:
Here is my NSX w/Zanardi wheels painted the color of the 1996 stock wheels which was similar to Solaris Silver.
What do you mean, "was similar to"? The color of the '94-96 stock wheels WAS Solaris Silver!!! :smile:

According to the parts catalog, the paint finish on the Zanardi wheels from the factory was Blades Silver, same color as all other stock '97-01 wheels (aside from the white ones).

Last edited:
Honda did have a color called Solaris Silver but in the different vendors color books, that I have seen, it is a car color not accessory/wheel color.
The versions I have seen does not match the wheels, it's off a shade.
It does however match the car body color much better.

The wheels that have been refurbished by wheel companies are another shade as well.

IMO 97-01 wheels don't look anywhere near as dark as the Zanardi wheels do.
The 97-01 wheels spoke face look like a natural brushed aluminum finish with a clear coat.
Just my take on it.

I don't think too much about it because I mix it up myself when I want a NSX wheel color.

Last edited:
Its close but it's not an exact match, The Washi grey seems to have some more Bronze in it. I've been trying to get the paint for my Zanardi rims, as the previous owner decided to put the wheel weights on the outside :mad:

The first is "Solaris Silver" NH-536M. This is the OEM color for 1994-96 NSX wheels. It is a lighter gunmetal.

The second is called Washi Gray, which is a darker almost charcoal gunmetal. It is a JDM only wheel color, except for the 50 Zanardi NSXs sold here in the states, which also used it. The paint code is not confirmed, but an enterprising member in the UK tried "Pewter Gray Metallic" NH-537M and it matched perfectly to a JDM Type-S Washi Gray wheel. So, for re-finishing purposes, this code is your best choice.

I think the Solaris Silver looks amazing on a Black or Midnight Pearl NSX. Washi Gray looks great on Red, White or Long Beach Blue NSX's. Silver NSXs look best to me with the "Blades Silver" (machined bare aluminum) or the "BMW Silver" 02+ colors. Hope this helps.

My powdercoater is trying to match the NH-536M color and has a question: is the OEM wheel color a solid metallic or does it have metal flakes?

This is awesome information! Thanks man!

How did I miss this thread?

If you wanted the stock Zanardi wheel color, which I did not, I can't see why you would need a code that at best will only give you a approximation. Just have someone match the color that knows how.
I can do it, so can others.
Here's my car:
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

BTW the stock Type "s" wheel is a lighter, brighter color.

That looks great! Makes those wheels look bigger which really helps them out.

Back