• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Joining the NSX club soon

ggpaul

Hey guys, after a year I finally figured out how to sign up in this forum. I had to use my Verizon e-mail account lol.

Anyways, I'm after my VERY first Acura NSX and from the looks of it I'm probably going to get it this week.

Take care!

Welcome! You might also want to check out the Wiki .. specifically the section on Buying an NSX. You can get to the Wiki off the red action bar at the top of most pages.
Good luck!

Thanks for the guide! I test drove this one NSX not too far from where I live. The guy was selling it for $19,900 salvage title. But the one that turned me off was that there were a lot of cosmetic problems. The interior was almost broken. The right side of the speakers turned off. When the guy turned it on, it didn't start at first so that was already a no, no. And after he drove the car he blamed my friend that he left the lights on and so the battery "died". Therefore, we figured there was an electrical issue.

It was a high mileage NSX which I didn't mind, because I do plan on changing the engine some day. But I don't want to spend too much on other problems.

And so today, I found an NSX 1991, snap ring issue fixed, new clutch, new wheels, carbon fiber hood, new wheels, new relay, and so forth with a lot of mileage. No damages, clean title, exterior and interior looks great. I'll definitely test drive it some time this week. And he's selling it for 20k so I think I found one of my interest.

My only concern is that I noticed that people aren't passing the smog test? Should this be an issue?
well read this article before you buy

NSX Buyer Guide by Honda Tuning
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/includes/htup_0810_acura_nsx_buyers_guide/viewall.html

and if you get it post pics

welcome to the club.

Not passing smog is a big deal especially for a new buyer. afaik, by law, its seller's responsibility to make sure it will pass smog. You & the buyer need to take it to a smog station to pre-test the car to make sure it will pass before you give you money away and not legally own the vehicle.

If it will pass, lucky you. if it won't pass, there can be a multiple of causes and if you are new to this, you most likely will get the run around trying to make it pass and throwing your $$$$$ away and cry on Prime. It happens more than you know.

fyi, Ramon of Niguel Motors in Laguna Niguel is a great,reliable, honest source to help the dialogistic and he uses Duke of OC smog in Dana Point. BAR keeps lowing the smog number for the early cars like yours so its quite tough to pass. I have a 93 and after it failed the last smog, the BAR numbers got lowered automatically for the re-test, lucky I installed used oem cats and that was the problem for me.

Last edited:
Not passing smog is a big deal especially for a new buyer. afaik, by law, its seller's responsibility to make sure it will pass smog. You & the buyer need to take it to a smog station to pre-test the car to make sure it will pass before you give you money away and not legally own the vehicle.

If it will pass, lucky you. if it won't pass, there can be a multiple of causes and if you are new to this, you most likely will get the run around trying to make it pass and throwing your $$$$$ away and cry on Prime. It happens more than you know.

fyi, Ramon of Niguel Motors in Laguna Niguel is a great,reliable, honest source to help the dialogistic and he uses Duke of OC smog in Dana Point. BAR keeps lowing the smog number for the early cars like yours so its quite tough to pass. I have a 93 and after it failed the last smog, the BAR numbers got lowered automatically for the re-test, lucky I installed used oem cats and that was the problem for me.

Yeah everyone on the prime talks about Ramon of Niguel Motors.

What's the estimation on the smog if it weren't to pass?

Yeah everyone on the prime talks about Ramon of Niguel Motors.

What's the estimation on the smog if it weren't to pass?

there are good reasons why everyone talks about Ramon. good advise to follow. i have a feeling you just may need his advise. Just do what he saz.

est. as $$$? or Time? No idea of the 1st so save up asap, but if you don't pass, you can't buy the car legally or shall I say the seller can't sell the car legally. thats why I suggest not pay until you can confirm passing smog. Maybe someone else can chime in on this to confirm. It has never happened to me but was told by the DMV lady. Other states are much easier for this kinda stuff as the BAR are profiling older cars.

I think you have 3 mos. but don't quote me on that....I can't keep up with all the different DMV rules.

there are good reasons why everyone talks about Ramon. good advise to follow. i have a feeling you just may need his advise. Just do what he saz.

est. as $$$? or Time? No idea of the 1st so save up asap, but if you don't pass, you can't buy the car legally or shall I say the seller can't sell the car legally. thats why I suggest not pay until you can confirm passing smog. Maybe someone else can chime in on this to confirm. It has never happened to me but was told by the DMV lady. Other states are much easier for this kinda stuff as the BAR are profiling older cars.

I think you have 3 mos. but don't quote me on that....I can't keep up with all the different DMV rules.

Awesome. I'll definitely ask all the questions when I meet up with him in Lancaster.

I have the cash on me ready to go but I don't want to jump on board and then the ship sinks instantly.

Looks like Ramon is the guy to go to when I get this car.

Back